cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne Approval & Discover CLI

tag
blueflame

CapOne Approval & Discover CLI

So i've been trying to wait for the right moment to apply for new CC especially since i just went car shopping in March and got hit with quite a lot of inquiries. But im too impatient! I started reading the posts on this site this morning and couldnt help myself. 

CapOne Classic Platinum Card - $500 CL. Did an online chat with CSR asking about an increase. She told me to wait until the card arrives and then to call in.

Discover More - I got a $250 auto cli Thursday bringing me to $1k. Did an online chat about 30 mins ago asking for $2k more and got denied. Recon with credit analyst told me i was denied for too many inquiries but she did note that they were all around the time of my car shopping  and that my payment history was excellent on all accounts so she would be more than happy to approve the increase! They used TU for me (which i believe is somewhere around 640)  and it cost 2 HP (yikes!)

I also applied for a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard  and got the 7-10 day message. Talking to the Credit Analyst from Discover makes me think i have a chance of being approved after recon but i really dont want anymore hits on my CR. not sure what i'll do yet.

I kind of regret the CapOne and Barclay apps since the Discover CLI worked out but its all good.  Think im going to cool it for the rest of the year and work on building my scores up. 

What do you think?

EQ 658 (06/06/13) | EXP 669 (06/09/13) | TU 643 (03/23/13)
Discover More - $3K | CapitalOne Classic Platinum - $500

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: CapOne Approval & Discover CLI

@blueflame wrote:

So i've been trying to wait for the right moment to apply for new CC especially since i just went car shopping in March and got hit with quite a lot of inquiries. But im too impatient! I started reading the posts on this site this morning and couldnt help myself. 

CapOne Classic Platinum Card - $500 CL. Did an online chat with CSR asking about an increase. She told me to wait until the card arrives and then to call in.

Discover More - I got a $250 auto cli Thursday bringing me to $1k. Did an online chat about 30 mins ago asking for $2k more and got denied. Recon with credit analyst told me i was denied for too many inquiries but she did note that they were all around the time of my car shopping  and that my payment history was excellent on all accounts so she would be more than happy to approve the increase! They used TU for me (which i believe is somewhere around 640)  and it cost 2 HP (yikes!)

I also applied for a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard  and got the 7-10 day message. Talking to the Credit Analyst from Discover makes me think i have a chance of being approved after recon but i really dont want anymore hits on my CR. not sure what i'll do yet.

I kind of regret the CapOne and Barclay apps since the Discover CLI worked out but its all good.  Think im going to cool it for the rest of the year and work on building my scores up. 

What do you think?

CONGRATS on your increase!

I would hit the garden for a year.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
blueflame

thank you! so you wouldn't even bother with a recon for the Barclaycard? I certainly dont want to push my luck or be greedy but Idk i kind of feel like it might be possible.

Message 3 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@blueflame wrote:

thank you! so you wouldn't even bother with a recon for the Barclaycard? I certainly dont want to push my luck or be greedy but Idk i kind of feel like it might be possible.

If you are willing to take another HP (YMMV) go for the recon.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your approval and CLI!
Message 5 of 10
jonald11
Valued Member

If I'm reading this correctly, you haven't been rejected by Barclay's, they just 7-10 dayed you. That could mean a lot of things, including as simple as an address verification. Granted, since it's Barclay's it's not likely, but you have zero to lose by calling them. 

If it comes to that point, then you can make the decision on another hard pull. Listen to what the representative is saying, and ask them honestly if getting another pull will make a difference, or whether you are toast. They usually answer pretty truthfully. 

Good luck, but call them and see what happens. 

Message 6 of 10
justforting
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your new card and CLI.

Last App: 09/17/2013 // No App Until: Mortgage (05/14?)

Cards in my wallet: AMEX BCE ($8000) // CITI AA VISA SIG ($5000) // CHASE FREEDOM ($3500) // DISCOVER IT ($1000) // CAP ONE NC ($1000) // WALMART DISCOVER ($1600)
Credit Scores: FICO TU08 (10/13): 739 // Credit Karma (10/13): 677??!! // Credit Sesame (10/13): 730
Next Goal: CSP (after mortgage probably...)
Message 7 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum and congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 10
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval and CLI, now is the time to grab

a seedling, to the garden with yeSmiley Very Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 9 of 10
blueflame

Thanks so much for the welcome! I've been lurking for quite a while and finally decided I should join.

Recon with Barclay was a fail but they used the same credit report so no worries.  Too many inquiries and not enough credit history. She also noted I was carrying a bit of a high balance on my discover card (was trying to wait until I paid it but I couldn't lol). I explained to her that I just bought a car and told her about the Discover CLI and she told me I was making all the necessary steps to build up my credit and that I should try again in 6 months. Definitely no more apps for me anytime soon though. I really want to get familiar with the board and set some realistic goals.

Thanks again to you all!  Cat Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.