Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne Bucket??

tag
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

CapOne Bucket??

Hello,

I have recently discovered the info about CapOne buckets. I am wondering if I am in a bucket and that is why I can't get any preapproved offers for the Cap One Savor card. Looking at my statement I have a Quicksilver Platinum MC. Can anyone tell me if that is a lower bucket?

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Trekkie0707
New Contributor

Re: CapOne Bucket??

@Kennie02 wrote:

Hello,

I have recently discovered the info about CapOne buckets. I am wondering if I am in a bucket and that is why I can't get any preapproved offers for the Cap One Savor card. Looking at my statement I have a Quicksilver Platinum MC. Can anyone tell me if that is a lower bucket?

From my understanding bucketing has more to do with limits than card approvals. "Bucketed" people generally can't grow their 300-1k limits but will be able to get higher limits on new cards. 

they do generally seem to like a good amount of time between approvals... it seems. 

I have a $300 QS1 and I'm not really that to ever get much pass $1k. I'll prolly just end up closing it. 

ymmv

FICO 8 Starting 01/22: Exp 598 | TU 571 | EQ 591

Current: Exp 676 | TU 654 | EQ 700

NFCU Flagship ($6.9k) | Discover It ($5k) | FNBO Evergreen ($4.1k) | PenFed Gold ($3.5k) | Amex BCE ($1k) | NFCU Secured ($200)

RIP: Mission Lane ($500) | CapOne QS1 ($300) | Memberships : NFCU & PENFed
Message 2 of 10
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

@Trekkie0707 wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

Hello,

From my understanding bucketing has more to do with limits than card approvals. "Bucketed" people generally can't grow their 300-1k limits but will be able to get higher limits on new cards. 

they do generally seem to like a good amount of time between approvals... it seems. 

I have a $300 QS1 and I'm not really that to ever get much pass $1k. I'll prolly just end up closing it. 

ymmv

Thanks for the reply... I guess based on that I am not "bucketed". I haven't been able to get a CLI in years but my CL is still pretty high. 

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 3 of 10
Trekkie0707
New Contributor

@Kennie02 wrote:

@Trekkie0707 wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

Hello,

ymmv

Thanks for the reply... I guess based on that I am not "bucketed". I haven't been able to get a CLI in years but my CL is still pretty high. 

You may just be bucketed at "pretty high" not such a bad bucket to be in. 

FICO 8 Starting 01/22: Exp 598 | TU 571 | EQ 591

Current: Exp 676 | TU 654 | EQ 700

NFCU Flagship ($6.9k) | Discover It ($5k) | FNBO Evergreen ($4.1k) | PenFed Gold ($3.5k) | Amex BCE ($1k) | NFCU Secured ($200)

RIP: Mission Lane ($500) | CapOne QS1 ($300) | Memberships : NFCU & PENFed
Message 4 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Trekkie0707 wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

@Trekkie0707 wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

Hello,

ymmv

You may just be bucketed at "pretty high" not such a bad bucket to be in. 

There are posts on the forum about the cap 1 tranche and abs. Good reading and makes this cap 1 bucket thing easily understandable. i think im bucketed at 2k with my QS but my recent savor one came with a 3k sl, not bad.my QS sl was 300, then the first cli at 5 months was 1500 , 300-1800. my next cli yesterday was only 200 so my hopes of not being bucketed were dashed. still 2k is very useful in day to day purchases and i did burn them for 5k in my 2019 bk7 so considering that 2k is great.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

"Bucketing" refers to an individual card account, not you as a consumer. You can have a bucketed card, but then apply for a new card and get approved for a much higher limit and with no bucketing.

That said, you didn't give enough info to be able to gauge whether your current QS is bucketed or not. How old is the account? How many CLIs (if any) have you received, and how much did your limit grow by with each one? What were your approximate scores at the time approval?

Also, what do you mean by "Quicksilver Platinum?" The Quicksilver and the Platinum are 2 different cards. Unless you mean you had a Platinum card that later got upgraded to a Quicksilver?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 10
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

"Bucketing" refers to an individual card account, not you as a consumer. You can have a bucketed card, but then apply for a new card and get approved for a much higher limit and with no bucketing. 

That said, you didn't give enough info to be able to gauge whether your current QS is bucketed or not. How old is the account? How many CLIs (if any) have you received, and how much did your limit grow by with each one? What were your approximate scores at the time approval?

Also, what do you mean by "Quicksilver Platinum?" The Quicksilver and the Platinum are 2 different cards. Unless you mean you had a Platinum card that later got upgraded to a Quicksilver?

thx for all the info and the questions! You actually made me investigate and answer my own question. I've determined that this card is "bucketed". But I'm happy to know that I could still get approved for a non bucket card. No guarantees obviously. 

The card is 11yrs old. I went back through my old posts because I really couldn't remember. I believe my SL was very low but I got a CLI to $3750 and another that got me to the current limit of $4500. I haven't been able to get an increase since. And yes my card had started as a Platinum that got PC'd to a QS. That must be why it says Quicksilver Platinum on my statement. 

thanks again for all the info!

Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 7 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you use your entire limit every month for several months (up to six consecutive months) without an increase, then your card has arrived at it's max. 

What Cap One considers "decent use"/ use that shows need for higher limit is a bit more than most other lenders.  Besides, they  count on you being able to recycle your limit.

Some lenders frown upon cycling through limits on uncapped cards, Cap One welcomes it. 

In other words, I really do not think losing rewards on other cards in order to geerate more spend while hoping it puts you in their good graves and gets you a relatively small increase may not be worth it and it might come at the cost for you (rewards wise).  

Limit on it seems adequate for the use and also,it's higher than most of your other cards.

Just use cards that make most sense  for you, trying to get an increase on some of their starter cards can be excercise in futility. 

Message 8 of 10
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

If you use your entire limit every month for several months (up to six consecutive months) without an increase, then your card has arrived at it's max. 

What Cap One considers "decent use"/ use that shows need for higher limit is a bit more than most other lenders.  Besides, they  count on you being able to recycle your limit.

Some lenders frown upon cycling through limits on uncapped cards, Cap One welcomes it. 

In other words, I really do not think losing rewards on other cards in order to geerate more spend while hoping it puts you in their good graves and gets you a relatively small increase may not be worth it and it might come at the cost for you (rewards wise).  

Limit on it seems adequate for the use and also,it's higher than most of your other cards.

Just use cards that make most sense  for you, trying to get an increase on some of their starter cards can be excercise in futility. 

Yeah I definitely get better rewards with my other cards. I don't use it much and that is likely why my CL hasn't moved up. It gets used when I want to give my NFCU a break and travel to Baja. I love the no FTF for that. My biggest concern was that I wouldn't be able to get a Savor or Venture card which is what I really want. 

Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 9 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Kennie02 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Yeah I definitely get better rewards with my other cards. I don't use it much and that is likely why my CL hasn't moved up. It gets used when I want to give my NFCU a break and travel to Baja. I love the no FTF for that. My biggest concern was that I wouldn't be able to get a Savor or Venture card which is what I really want. 

Oh you certainly can, that card in not ball'n'chain, it's just a snapshot in time from when you were originally approved.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.