Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne On Death Row...

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: CapOne On Death Row...

CapitalOne is a good starter card if you're new to credit but they are very iffy about giving CL increases. I've had my card for almost 3 years and had ONE CL increase since I've had it...from $500 to $750 and that was within the first 6 months or so of owning the card. You seriously can not do anything for a $750 limit. I would like at least a $3,000 limit so I'm shopping around for different everyday cards.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 21 of 28
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I too have a Capone card on death row.  Like most death row inmates, they know it.  I have put to death one of their cards already.  They did not seem to get the message.  They never seem to get the message.  Also like death row, it will be in a year, so they have time to repent.  (Just like most criminals, they won't!)

I am waiting until a year because they were nice enough to waive my annual fee.  Actually, because someone pushed the button twice or something, they have refunded it twice!  In a few days the actual annual fee will post.  After that I will ask again for a CLI and expect nothing.  Then I will ask that they PC me again and expect nothing.  I will stress the annual fee again.  If they refund it again I will laugh. 

Strangely enough because of their errors it has cost them about $200 in the past year. 

They are happy to inform you that their policies about CLI's are changing.  And I am certain they are, but you have to remember it might only affect 1% of the card holders.  They seem to change their policies after they get sued and have to pay for it.  I believe they are currently being targeted for their credit approval policies.  They seem to like to give you many cards with low limits.  (This is one reason they always suggest that you reapply for a new product.  They hope you won't qualify for a good card product, but instead a card with an AF.)  They seem to be more about the fees than anything else.  If you have multiple cards with fees, they gain income.  If you go over the limit on one, they it is likely you will go over the limit on another card they have given you.  If you are late on one, etc.  I have never paid them a fee, except an annual fee.  (And at this point they are still on the worse side of that!)

I paid them $1.36 in interest in the last year.  This month it will be a little different, due to strategy testing.  I did not pay my balance in full to see if that will help get a CLI now that the account is 2 years old.  (I actually loaned the card to my sister, so she is really paying the interest anyway.  I did that so the card would actually be used.)

I refuse to use the card exccept for balance transfers.  They don't charge me anything for it, so I transfer the balance from another account and pay it off.  Sometimes, even before it actually transfers.  And I do this to piss them off, cause them more work, and to show utilization.

At least I won't close the HSBC/Capone card as there is no annual fee.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 22 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I feel like the opposite of everyone who is in one of these threads. I plan on getting another cap1 card when I get into the "prime" arena (or at least upgrading mine to the Visa Sig version eventually, ). Their prime cards are actually pretty nice. Nothing flashy or anything but the Cash rewards card is pretty nice, and the venture card is actually a great deal if you spend/travel a lot, 2% on everything sounds fine to me Smiley Very Happy I kinda wish I picked that instead of cash, I mean...everyone knows Alec Baldwin > Jimmy Fallon....

Message 23 of 28
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

LOVE the fact that so many of us are on the Titanic together... I must also admit that going through and killing the card is as much psychological as much as it is financial. Kinda like being in an abusive marriage... You keep thinking that it's gonna get better, that things will change, that he/she is gonna see how worthy you are of a CLI?????

But that company isn't gonna do anything that it doesn't HAVE to do. You find and figure out how to use the useless card, and keep paying it off and keep laughing about it. No rewards, no benefitst, but they keep on getting their swipe fees without returning anything back to you.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 24 of 28
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@CreditEd wrote:

LOVE the fact that so many of us are on the Titanic together... I must also admit that going through and killing the card is as much psychological as much as it is financial. Kinda like being in an abusive marriage... You keep thinking that it's gonna get better, that things will change, that he/she is gonna see how worthy you are of a CLI?????

But that company isn't gonna do anything that it doesn't HAVE to do. You find and figure out how to use the useless card, and keep paying it off and keep laughing about it. No rewards, no benefitst, but they keep on getting their swipe fees without returning anything back to you.

At one point I think I did not deserve anything from them.  This has however changed.  Their strategy only focuses on the beginning.  It is kinda as if we started children in kindergarten and kept them there, because that is where they started.

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 25 of 28
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

If anyone is still reading this thread there is a way to get a CLI from them!  File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and their executive office will call you.  I got my AF removed from my account and a new limit of $2000.  Now, I have taken the card off death row.  I do plan on asking again for a credit limit increase in the future and if need be once again filing with the BBB or calling their executive office.

Message 26 of 28
distantarray
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

I feel like the opposite of everyone who is in one of these threads. I plan on getting another cap1 card when I get into the "prime" arena (or at least upgrading mine to the Visa Sig version eventually, ). Their prime cards are actually pretty nice. Nothing flashy or anything but the Cash rewards card is pretty nice, and the venture card is actually a great deal if you spend/travel a lot, 2% on everything sounds fine to me Smiley Very Happy I kinda wish I picked that instead of cash, I mean...everyone knows Alec Baldwin > Jimmy Fallon....

the cash rewards is decent, but the venture card is subpar as long as there's 2% cards out there like Priceline that has 2% with zero annual fees. to Offset the difference with annual fees you would have to spend 10k a year on it. For the most average middle class with Excellent credit which is required for the Venture card you could get so much more.   Capital One is NOT PRIME.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 27 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

the cash rewards is decent, but the venture card is subpar as long as there's 2% cards out there like Priceline that has 2% with zero annual fees. to Offset the difference with annual fees you would have to spend 10k a year on it. For the most average middle class with Excellent credit which is required for the Venture card you could get so much more.   Capital One is NOT PRIME.

Unless you have a different spending pattern!    Priceline has a 3% FTF, Fidelity Amex also has one.  I use my Capital One cards when I'm out of the country or purchasing from foreign sites.  They give a consistent 1.5% and no FTF.  Of course, Capital One led the way on 0 fees, reversing the standard 1% Visa charge.  Now others have followed but, AFAIK, there isn't the combination of 2% and no FTF anywhere.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.