Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital 1 CLI a no go...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital 1 CLI a no go...

So I decided to sign up for the quarterly TU Score Watch today, and I saw that my score jumped from up 26 points in 12 days (2 inquires fell off and my uti went down a lot)! I got all excited and thought that I would call Cap 1 and try and get a CLI. So I called the 7866 backdoor number and spoke to a nice guy who checked my account and said "I see that you have excellent payment history with us; but I regret to inform you that your account is not eligible for a customer initiated credit limit increase." So I asked for a manual review and he said that I could call back after I received my letter in the mail saying why the account was not eligible, and ask for a manual review of the account.

My account has remained in perfect standing with them and then all of a sudden last year they sent me a letter out of no where saying that I was going to start having an AF. Okay...so I was upset about that but I let it ride. I didn't call them and challenge it at all. I even have my auto loan with them and will be paying my car off in less than 2 years. I just think that this is crazy.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: Capital 1 CLI a no go...

Capital One does not do customer initiated CLI regardless of how good of a customer you are.... ever. Smiley Mad

The only way you'll ever see a CLI from Capital One is an auto increase which can take anywhere from 1 year to 10 years of satisfactory history with them.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really know how Cap One does their CLis. I haven't received one, except for an initial credit steps one.

My wife on the other hand received a CLI (small one, going from $2k to $2.5k) last week without requesting it. She's had the card a few months shorter than I have, currently has high util% on it since she had to fly out to a funeral unexpectedly a few weeks ago, etc. So I have no idea who decides when they give out CLis, but it seems to make no sense.

Message 3 of 10
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

Capital One does not do customer initiated CLI regardless of how good of a customer you are.... ever. Smiley Mad

The only way you'll ever see a CLI from Capital One is an auto increase which can take anywhere from 1 year to 10 years of satisfactory history with them.

Not true.  My SO called about his world mastercard last week and got a CLI from $5,000 to $6,000.  He has had the card since 09/2010.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 4 of 10
aftermath
Established Contributor

@jthedges wrote:

@aftermath wrote:

Not true.  My SO called about his world mastercard last week and got a CLI from $5,000 to $6,000.  He has had the card since 09/2010.

Their World Mastercard product is one of their premium cards.  Those are a whole different animal.

Their lower end cards will never see a customer initiated CLI.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 5 of 10
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

There are certain lower-ring Cap One cards that are never eligible for customer initiated CLIs. The more sub-prime the card is the more likely this is true. My Cap One card is one of these, which is why it's resting comfortably in my sockdrawer and will likely never leave. I've called front door, back door, doesn't matter. I get told the same thing - no CLIs. (although backdoor are much more polite about it)

It's my oldest card, so I want the history but otherwise the card is worthless to me.

Message 6 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Cap1 Venture CCs are their prime cards. Depending on your relationship with Cap1, I would try to get them to upgrade you to a Venture w/no AF. Your more than likely to get a CLI down the road with the Venture card than a reg. Cap1 card.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think Cap1 does any PCs? I could be wrong, but that's just the impressions I'm under. If they do, I'll probably keep my card until I can change it to Venture or something less subprime than the one I have right now. But otherwise, the card is probably going to get canned sooner or later, being stuck on permanent low CL + high APR + an AF just isn't going to be appealing once I have better history.

Message 8 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think Cap1 does any PCs? I could be wrong, but that's just the impressions I'm under. If they do, I'll probably keep my card until I can change it to Venture or something less subprime than the one I have right now. But otherwise, the card is probably going to get canned sooner or later, being stuck on permanent low CL + high APR + an AF just isn't going to be appealing once I have better history.

I have heard from another person where he successfully was able to convert his cap1 platinum to venture. But I do agree, 99.9% of the cap1 ppl are stuck. It doesn't hurt to give it a try before you cancel the card down the road.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely forgot to ask the guy if I could do a PC. I didn't think about it until I hung up with him. I'm just going to wait until I get the letter and then call back and see if I can get the increase. If they say no, then I'll ask for a PC. If they say that I'll have to apply, then I'll apply. I did their pre-approval thing and the Venture card came up. So I should be able to get it; but then again...I don't want another hard inquiry.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.