Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital 1 Cash Rewards for Newcomers Alternative

tag
Charmlessman
Contributor

Capital 1 Cash Rewards for Newcomers Alternative

Hi everyone

I have a colleague that is moving to USA and will start her journey to build credit. She will soon get her SSN and is asking me on how to get started. I suggested the Cap 1 Cash Rewards for Newcomers but I found out its not being offered anymore. Other than the Capital 1 Secured Card, what other card would you suggest for someone that is brand new to credit.

Thanks in advance for the help

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Capital 1 Cash Rewards for Newcomers Alternative

@Charmlessman wrote:

Hi everyone

I have a colleague that is moving to USA and will start her journey to build credit. She will soon get her SSN and is asking me on how to get started. I suggested the Cap 1 Cash Rewards for Newcomers but I found out its not being offered anymore. Other than the Capital 1 Secured Card, what other card would you suggest for someone that is brand new to credit.

Thanks in advance for the help

Very interesting question

With CAP closing the door on that card IMHO options are limited to secured cards to start and 9-12 months down the road when scores are generated apply for unsecured cards 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Is she new to credit in her home country as well, or just (will be) here?  The best route by far is to have an Amex in your home country, but most people don't!

Message 3 of 6
Charmlessman
Contributor

I guess it will be then Secured Card from Capital One and possibly Credit Union that the company offers.

I wished there was a better alternative. Thanks

Message 4 of 6
Charmlessman
Contributor

She has excellente credit back home but not with AMEX. Kind of the same way I started over here. 

Message 5 of 6
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Joint app! Thats how my DS began, and I plan to as well.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.