Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital 1 Secured card in the mail

tag
Charmlessman
Contributor

Capital 1 Secured card in the mail

Hi guys, after very good advice from the forum members, I was approved for a Capital 1 Secured Mastercard. I am new to USA and building credit. I just received an email saying my new card is on its way. Smiley Happy

I only have that one card and was told to hang on to it at least for 6 months which I will do as well as making $500 deposits every month to increase CL, paying in full and having less than 9% utilization. My question is, should I apply for another card to have 2 cards in order to improve my score or should I play it safe for 6 months? I was on my way to apply for a CU card but decided to follow advice given in this forum but I would like to confirm that I did the right thing. 

Thinking ahead and following a suggestion from a member of the forum I am thinking about applying for an AMEX charge card once at least 6 to 8 months have passed.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital 1 Secured card in the mail

Congrats on the new card!

Personally, I'd probably wait a few months before applying for another one, but there are more experienced members here who might be able to give better judgment than mine.

Message 2 of 8
dpride86
Regular Contributor

You should apply for another card. Try a store card, those are easy to get

-Current Score: TU 719 EQ 705 and EX 708 1-11-15
-My Goal: 740+ on all 3
-My wallet:
NFCU Cash Rewards 17k,Fidelity Amex 10.1k, QS 8k, DCU Visa Platinum 7.5k, Chase Freedom 7k, Penfed Promise 6.5k, Amex BCE 6k and Citi 5K.
Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

You should stick with the original plan for best results

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
Charmlessman
Contributor

Thanks all

@Myjourney i have read almost all your posts on your blog. Good info. Thanks for sharing that! I plan to follow original plan and keep you guys updated. 

Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Charmlessman wrote:

Thanks all

@myjourney i have read almost all your posts on your blog. Good info. Thanks for sharing that! I plan to follow original plan and keep you guys updated. 

I look forward to seeing great success from your future post which will include good cards,limits and outstanding scoresSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
Richierichdollar
New Contributor

Congrats. I started with this card april of 2012 with a $750 limit waited till feb 2013 to apply for unsecured card and was approved, then approved for discover card today. This is just to say that the card and the info from the people here can bring you to wonderful credit cards and limits with due time

Message 7 of 8
Charmlessman
Contributor

Thanks, I have no doubt info is very helpful and I will stick to the plan and garden. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.