Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One 2 card limit / Co branded vs regular Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One 2 card limit / Co branded vs regular Credit Cards

Ok so this may be a dumb question, but do you know if Cabellas Mastercard (or the GM one) is considered a co branded card and therefore not factored into the Capital One 2 credit card limit? I ask because I was just graduated from a Platimum to a QS last night and I also have their Wal Mart MC and some of their store cards (Saks, L&T, Kohl's, and was just approved for Bergdorf & Newman's). So I'm wondering since CO has shown me some love, more than I expected to be honest, what else I might be approved for before heading to the garden. I just started with CO in November of 2019. So from Nov last year to now, they've been pretty good to me. I wasn't approved for a Helzberg Diamonds store charge but that's cool with me. Tbh I probably wouldn't use it except for a couple small things and even then their pricing isn't that great. The Saks ans L&T I've used only for a few items that were on clearance and I'll be able to pay those off within the month so I'm being super careful. 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One 2 card limit / Co branded vs regular Credit Cards

Those two cards you mentioned are cobranded cards. Other than that, not sure if you're asking if you should apply or not?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL sorry if my question wasn't clear. What I meant to ask was, I know these are two cobranded cards do they count in the whole capital one only allowing you two credit cards at a time rule? As in MasterCards not store charge cards. Because I've heard you can only have two CO CCs at once (not including co branded cards). So is the Cabellas or the GM considered a co branded card not part of the 2 cards at a time rule? If that makes sense?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think cobranded cards would count, but don't take my word for it until someone else can confirm. I'm just going by the fact that I have 3 cards by them: QS, Walmart MC and Kohl’s.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your reply! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

The number of cards you can have with Cap1 and be approved for another card vary depending on which card you're applying for. There is not a rule you can only have 2 cards. Their co-branded cards such as the Wal-Mart card you're asking about are removed from the equation. You may apply for a sub-prime card from them (QS1, Plat, Journey) if you have less than 2 accounts currently open with them. You may apply for a prime card from them (Venture, Savor, QS, V1, S1) if you have less than 5 open accounts with them. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You can have 5 prime cards and 2 sub-prime cards. Co-branded don't count.

Message 7 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You can have up to five of Capital One's core cards. You'll be declined a subprime Capital One card if you have two or more Capital One cards. As mentioned, co-branded cards don't directly affect applications for "regular" Capital One cards.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.