Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Account Combination

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Account Combination

Has anyone ever had any luck getting your two capital one accounts combined before the 6 month period they say you have to wait? Just curious, because I know at times they make exceptions on things...

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Account Combination

I don't have personal experience getting one, but I have seen others here being able to get it done.

You could always try and see. They will either let you or tell you that there aren't eligible accounts right now.  Combinations do count as a CLI in their system, if that is something else to consider

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have personal experience getting one, but I have seen others here being able to get it done.

You could always try and see. They will either let you or tell you that there aren't eligible accounts right now.  Combinations do count as a CLI in their system, if that is something else to consider

Oh okay, cool cool. I never knew that. In that case I guess I'll just wait the six months for when they increase the limit after first 5 on time payments.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like you are referring to a credit steps increase. People I've seen combining accounts early were on Ventures I believe, not cards in credit steps.

I have had increases on cards that were in credit steps that I requested on around 65-70 days and still received credit steps increases after 6 statements. Not sure if account combinations would throw steps off, but you can get early CLI on your card, sometimes much greater that your step increase

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like you are referring to a credit steps increase. People I've seen combining accounts early were on Ventures I believe, not cards in credit steps.

I have had increases on cards that were in credit steps that I requested on around 65-70 days and still received credit steps increases after 6 statements. Not sure if account combinations would throw steps off, but you can get early CLI on your card, sometimes much greater that your step increase

Oh wow, yeah that'd be great if that's what they do. They sent me an email the other day saying they'll increase it to $750 after first 5 payments. My credit isn't stellar, however (recent $695 collection added, 4 year old $2000 hospital collection and around 30 inq) so trying hard to rebuild. Going to try and get an increase after the first few months though. Also just got approved for a Gamestop credit card, it's the small victories! Lol

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take care of the card and they will take care of you. I used mine for literally everything and would make several large payments a month. My credit steps was supposed to be $200 (started at $300), but somewhere around day 65-70 I tried for a CLI and the card went from $300 to $1800 and I still got the $200 increase a few months later. 

Just try to have the balance down when statements cut.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will definitely have to wait the full six months to combine accounts. I was told this by a customer service rep. Also, customer service has nothing to do with the account combinations as far as setting them up -- the rep told me that I would not be able to combine under any circumstances until the offer was available through my online account.

Oh and one more thing -- when you do combine you will have to wait six months to get another credit line increase because Cap One considers it to be a credit line increase on the newly combined card.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Take care of the card and they will take care of you. I used mine for literally everything and would make several large payments a month. My credit steps was supposed to be $200 (started at $300), but somewhere around day 65-70 I tried for a CLI and the card went from $300 to $1800 and I still got the $200 increase a few months later. 

Just try to have the balance down when statements cut.

Will do. I have a Discover secured that I've had for around 3 months. I run it up high and then pay the balance in full before the statement cuts. Hoping to see a graduation soon, I think I'm going to give them a call in the middle of March...

Message 8 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I can provide a data point... I got a new Venture a few weeks ago, and when I go to the combine screen it gives me the option to combine an older card into the Venture.  

I can't check it the other way since I'm in the middle of meeting the spend requirement for the Venture bonus, so it won't be at a zero balance for a couple of months.  Smiley Wink

It's also fairly certain that account combinations 'count' as CLIs, so I would always make sure to check each account for a CLI individually first before combining them (and time things accordingly).  In my case I'm still getting decent CLIs on my accounts individually so I'm holding off on the combo.

Message 9 of 14
kidink1911
Established Contributor

The 6 month rule is solid.

I combined my Cap One Platinum and Cap One QS MC into one account (under my Cap One QS MC). Just wait the 6 month time period and then combine the accounts!

Chase Sapphire Preferred- BOA Travel Rewards- Barclay JetBlue MC-

Barclay Apple Rewards- Synchrony WalMart MC- Cap One QS MC- BP Gas

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.