Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Balance Transfer Woes

tag
Hut1
Established Contributor

Capital One Balance Transfer Woes

Just sharing my experience. Smiley Frustrated

I had balances on my two NFCU cards - $612 on my cashRewards (Visa) and $2,120 on my moreRewrards (AmEx). On 4/10, I requested a balance transfer over to my Cap1 Quicksilver because I still have a 0% promo until the end of 2020. The transfered amounts were added to my balance within 2 business days. Cool. The NFCU Visa showed paid about 5 business days later and my NFCU AmEx didn't show paid off. I then received a letter in the mail from AmEx which included the pay off check from Cap1 basically saying, 'this debt doesn't belong to us; here's your check'. I called Cap1 and told them they paid off the wrong debt holder and that I have their check in hand. They went ahead and put a stop payment on the check, but said they couldn't resend it because for some reason, even though it says NFCU is the debt holder, their system wants to send the check to AmEx again.

Ultimately, they said they would cancel the balance transfer all together and once the amount is credited then I can resubmit through the app. I declined and just paid off the balance with NFCU. So, really, I'm just looking for a $2,120 credit on my Cap1 card. Flash forward to today, Cap1 is still holding onto that $2K amount even though it should've been credited back to me. I called and the rep couldn't find where a credit was requested. She did some digging, saw where I called in on 4/20 and saw the notes about needing to cancel the balance transfer, but the previous rep attempted a few times, got several errors, and then just gave up and never escalated it. Lol. Ya'll.. she literally said "eff it". Smiley LOL

That was my first attempt at a balance transfer. I've learned that you need to follow-up on things like this. 

It's still not fixed, btw. Their system is still throwing an error, so they have to get someone to work on it and call me when it's done. They said it will take up to 5 business days and I certanly plan to follow-up then. That balance is killing my score with it's UTI rate. Smiley Indifferent

Anyone else had trouble with balance transfers or am I the lucky one?

download

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Balance Transfer Woes

@Hut1 wrote:

... Anyone else had trouble with balance transfers or am I the lucky one?

I've done a few with them without incident but I have them send me a check & then I redistribute. Sorry for your troubles. 

Message 2 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

The check from NFCU or AMEX was made out to you? Why didn't you just cash it then pay NFCU?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 11
Hut1
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

The check from NFCU or AMEX was made out to you? Why didn't you just cash it then pay NFCU?

The check was made out to AmEx when it should've been made out to NFCU. 

AmEx sent it to me instead of back to Cap1. 

Perfectly non-confusing. Lol. 

download

Message 4 of 11
Hut1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Hut1 wrote:

I've done a few with them without incident but I have them send me a check & then I redistribute. Sorry for your troubles. 

I wonder if that's something I can request? 

download

Message 5 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

In the future, get a check sent to YOU.

You can deposit the check and pay who you want when you want.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 11
delaney1
Established Contributor

I’ve done several balance transfers with Capital One. I always have a check sent to me for deposit into my checking account.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hut1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Hut1 wrote:

I wonder if that's something I can request? 

Yes. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've done quite a few of their BTs with out issue.  I take it to get a check, you have to contact them and request it?  Or is that an option with their actual BT offers and not the 0% fee & 0% for 30 days & 2x.xx% after that I only get?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've done quite a few of their BTs with out issue.  I take it to get a check, you have to contact them and request it?  Or is that an option with their actual BT offers and not the 0% fee & 0% for 30 days & 2x.xx% after that I only get?

Ahh, I now see the problem. It is not an option for every offer. I just now tried on my Venture card -- the one I've used several times -- and no BT offer is available. On the QS I can BT, but not via check to me.

Sorry. It seems it is YMMV. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.