Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI Woes

tag
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Capital One CLI Woes

I have been with Capital One since April 2015, starting with the QS1 and upgraded to QS in 2016. I've grown my limit from $300 to $6300 and figured I've built a good relationship with Capital One. Now I've been reading all these 3X CLI success stories and wanted to give it a try. Instead of a 300% increase, the online automated system gave me 8% instead ($500 for a total of $6800). I was not amused and did not click the accept button.

I dialed and spoke with a representative and his supervisor. They were both cordial but unable to help. Having no luck with the representative, I asked the supervisor if he could manually review and give CLIs, but he replied that CLIs are now completely automated. I explained that my wife and I had put about $30k spend on the QS in 2017 alone, yet attempted and received no CLI increases, so we resorted to getting the Amex PRG and CSP this January 2018. I assured them I wanted to "remain loyal" with the QS if we could just reach $10k.

Still, no budge.

I gave them my thanks and accepted the extra $500, but remain unimpressed.

Question. Do they really have no control over CLIs or did they lie to me?

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI Woes

I'm interested in the answer to this, too.  CapOne remains deeply unimpressed with me as well and as a result I'm stuck on 6K.  I've been too lazy to call for a recon so your experience now has me wondering what their real policy is.  

Anyone? Bueller?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have repeatedly gotten the same response. My QS is the lowest limit card I have. I’ll probably keep it, because it’s a no AF card that I nickel and dime and it does no harm. I also have sufficient credit available on other cards and typically carry less than 1% UTI. I get the impression Capital One is very much Skynet controlled.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dw has similar issue. I posted  in garden club post . She runs between $1K and $2K every month on the card. She has a $7.5K limit and wanted $10K  Her Amex limit is $20K but she could get more with them but never tried/  We just asked for new limit of $10K **denied**  Her scores run between 740 and 760. Uitz under 5% income 6 figures.  They were til Friday one of her favorite now its SD time.   

Message 4 of 17
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, ttulaw and Backwoods for your responses.  Were either one of you in rebuild mode when you originally app'd?  I know CapOne loves them some bucketing and so at least in my case that could be why they don't want to give me mo money.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WhiteCleats: While not a complete “rebuild,” I was definitely not where I am now. It is absolutely possible I was bucketed. I had been denied by Chase, Discover, Amex, and several others around the time Cap One approved me. In my signature I have my cards and LOC in order of approval, so you can see the bulk of my available credit came after Cap One.
Message 6 of 17
pip3man
Valued Contributor

With C1 we seem to have forgotten if the initial increase they offer doesnt meet your needs, u HAVE to decline and try again like a month later. They will finally counter with the highest offer usually at $3k... it used to be common knowledge here on the forum way back and alot of folks including myself were able to increase our limit using this strategy.

Here's an old experience I shared http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Patience-definitely-pays-off-Venture-CLI/td-p/...

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asilomarwrote:

Thanks, ttulaw and Backwoods for your responses.  Were either one of you in rebuild mode when you originally app'd?  I know CapOne loves them some bucketing and so at least in my case that could be why they don't want to give me mo money.  

Dw had a score of 700 when she got her Capt 1 card.  She had  a few acttive cards and just paid off a term loan in full. Her initail limit was $2,000  Our problem was we were balanced chased in 2009 and when those cards got to $500 limits we closed them.  Her file (and mine) were very thin with no degrogs or charge offs. All the balance chase accounts simply went away leaving almost an empty report

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never heard of Capital One giving 3X CLI's. I've heard of that happening with Amex.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

I've never heard of Capital One giving 3X CLI's. I've heard of that happening with Amex.

Me neither.  Most Venture/Venture One customers who go from $10k to $30k would be back down at $10k shortly due to non use of credit limit.

Imagine a Venture approved at $30k going to $90k shortly.  3 more months $90k to $270k.  CapOne doesn't do 3x CLI.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.