cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI request vs. new account

tcbofade
Super Contributor

Capital One CLI request vs. new account

DW has three cap one accounts.  One was an Orchard bank card that got converted. 

 

Debating another Quicksilver and/or Venture next month.

 

Should she request CLI's on her existing accounts BEFORE a new app, or after?



08/01/22 Fico 8: EX 752, EQ 767, TU 763.
08/03/22 Fico 9: EX 744, EQ 755, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account

The CLIs will likely be SPs. I would do those first?

 

The new card is a HP (or 3 one per bureau)

 

Honestly do not know the best answer.

 

Why a fouth Cap1 Card? Just curious 

Message 2 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account


@Appleman wrote:

The CLIs will likely be SPs. I would do those first?

 

The new card is a HP (or 3 one per bureau)

 

Honestly do not know the best answer.

 

Why a fouth Cap1 Card? Just curious 


Thank you.  She's shopping for low interest, high credit limit, and BT cards.  I think that a QS card will give here a decent starting limit and some zero percent BT time...although I know there will be a fee.



08/01/22 Fico 8: EX 752, EQ 767, TU 763.
08/03/22 Fico 9: EX 744, EQ 755, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 16
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account

I'd do the CLI's first because they're SP's just as Appleman said. That way, the updated limits can report and possibly boost your score a bit before you app.


Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 16
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account


@RM21 wrote:
I'd do the CLI's first because they're SP's just as Appleman said. That way, the updated limits can report and possibly boost your score a bit before you app.

+1

 

When I spoke to a specialist with Capital One a year or so ago (she was very knowledgeable) she told me that all Capital One accounts are looked at individually when it comes to CLIs, APR, etc., and that if you have multiple accounts they have little impact on each other (I'm sure there's an exception if you're late on one, though).

 

I request my own CLIs every six months like clockwork, regardless of my intentions to app for another card (Capital One or otherwise) and I've never had a problem.  I'm also looking to get another Capital One card in the future with a lower APR as my main goal; I'm checking the prequal for my rate on a Venture One, since it's consistently 1% lower than either Venture or Quicksilver (and can later be PC'd to a Quicksilver). 

 

So far my rate for the Venture One offer is 'stuck' at 17.25%... if/when it dips to 15% or lower I'll likely pull the trigger.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account


@UncleB wrote:

@RM21 wrote:
I'd do the CLI's first because they're SP's just as Appleman said. That way, the updated limits can report and possibly boost your score a bit before you app.

+1

 

When I spoke to a specialist with Capital One a year or so ago (she was very knowledgeable) she told me that all Capital One accounts are looked at individually when it comes to CLIs, APR, etc., and that if you have multiple accounts they have little impact on each other (I'm sure there's an exception if you're late on one, though).

 

I request my own CLIs every six months like clockwork, regardless of my intentions to app for another card (Capital One or otherwise) and I've never had a problem.  I'm also looking to get another Capital One card in the future with a lower APR as my main goal; I'm checking the prequal for my rate on a Venture One, since it's consistently 1% lower than either Venture or Quicksilver (and can later be PC'd to a Quicksilver). 

 

So far my rate for the Venture One offer is 'stuck' at 17.25%... if/when it dips to 15% or lower I'll likely pull the trigger.  Smiley Happy


Don't hold your breath. I love Capital One, but low interest rates do not appear to be an arrow in their quiver.


Total revolving limits 699000 (597000 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 732 TU 721 EX 698

Message 6 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account

1st move see if she can combine limts and report back 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 16
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account


@SouthJamaica wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@RM21 wrote:
I'd do the CLI's first because they're SP's just as Appleman said. That way, the updated limits can report and possibly boost your score a bit before you app.

+1

 

When I spoke to a specialist with Capital One a year or so ago (she was very knowledgeable) she told me that all Capital One accounts are looked at individually when it comes to CLIs, APR, etc., and that if you have multiple accounts they have little impact on each other (I'm sure there's an exception if you're late on one, though).

 

I request my own CLIs every six months like clockwork, regardless of my intentions to app for another card (Capital One or otherwise) and I've never had a problem.  I'm also looking to get another Capital One card in the future with a lower APR as my main goal; I'm checking the prequal for my rate on a Venture One, since it's consistently 1% lower than either Venture or Quicksilver (and can later be PC'd to a Quicksilver). 

 

So far my rate for the Venture One offer is 'stuck' at 17.25%... if/when it dips to 15% or lower I'll likely pull the trigger.  Smiley Happy


Don't hold your breath. I love Capital One, but low interest rates do not appear to be an arrow in their quiver.


+1

 

I have my last baddie aging off in June or July, so I'm hoping that will make the difference and put me into a different category with Capital One... although I'm also aware that it might not.  <Fingers crossed!>

 

It will be an interesting data point either way.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account


@myjourney wrote:

1st move see if she can combine limts and report back 


+100

 

If I didn't already know I could combine accounts, I wouldn't even consider getting another anytime soon.

 

That would be a show-stopper for me, personally.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI request vs. new account


@UncleB wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@RM21 wrote:
I'd do the CLI's first because they're SP's just as Appleman said. That way, the updated limits can report and possibly boost your score a bit before you app.

+1

 

When I spoke to a specialist with Capital One a year or so ago (she was very knowledgeable) she told me that all Capital One accounts are looked at individually when it comes to CLIs, APR, etc., and that if you have multiple accounts they have little impact on each other (I'm sure there's an exception if you're late on one, though).

 

I request my own CLIs every six months like clockwork, regardless of my intentions to app for another card (Capital One or otherwise) and I've never had a problem.  I'm also looking to get another Capital One card in the future with a lower APR as my main goal; I'm checking the prequal for my rate on a Venture One, since it's consistently 1% lower than either Venture or Quicksilver (and can later be PC'd to a Quicksilver). 

 

So far my rate for the Venture One offer is 'stuck' at 17.25%... if/when it dips to 15% or lower I'll likely pull the trigger.  Smiley Happy


Don't hold your breath. I love Capital One, but low interest rates do not appear to be an arrow in their quiver.


+1

 

I have my last baddie aging off in June or July, so I'm hoping that will make the difference and put me into a different category with Capital One... although I'm also aware that it might not.  <Fingers crossed!>

 

It will be an interesting data point either way.  Smiley Happy


It will be interesting if and only if you do actually get a 15% or lower interest rate Smiley Happy


Total revolving limits 699000 (597000 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 732 TU 721 EX 698

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.