Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Cash Credit Card (Green Card) for Average Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Cash Credit Card (Green Card) for Average Credit

Capital One is now offering the Green Cash Rewards card for both excellent and average credit. Appears to be a nice card but depending on your creditworthiness the APR can vary after the inital 0% introductory APR period. Can anyone tell me if the card for average credit is for rebuilder as my sister is in the rebuilding stage. When I chatted online with a couple of Capital One CSR's they both kept saying the green cash rewards card for average credit is not a rebuilder. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Cash Credit Card (Green Card) for Average Credit

bump...I'm curious as well...

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 2 of 27
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

From what I understand it is taking the place of the platinum rewards card that was a "credit steps" card. This one does not offer the 2% cash back category (Gas & Groceries I think) Instead you get 1% cash back plus a 50% bonus once per year on all purchases. The APR, FEES should be the same as well as partcipation in Credit Steps. I would not expect the CL to grow much beyong the steps increases. 

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 3 of 27
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

This is the first that I have seen this advertised on their website.  Last summer, when I called in for a CLI on my Platinum MC, I was denied, but the CSR upgraded my card to the green rewards card.   Since the only mention of this card was under the "For Excellent" category, I was a bit confused.  I asked about it here, but did not get much info.  I am not much of a rewards follower - but it was nice to start earny rewards on this MC since I closed my Cap 1 Visa, which was a rewards card.   I do not pay an annual fee though and my APR is 14.99%.  My CL is $3350 and I have already been told that this card cannot receive additional increases.  My original card was a Credit Steps rebuilder card that started out with a $500.00 limit.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 4 of 27
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i wonder if my No hassle will turn into this soon?

If i were upgraded to a "prime" card with cap1 i might might keep it

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 5 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

After speaking about this to a CSR they apparently do not know about this Smiley Very Happy

I would gladly take the Green Cash card for average credit!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 27
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One is now offering the Green Cash Rewards card for both excellent and average credit. Appears to be a nice card but depending on your creditworthiness the APR can vary after the inital 0% introductory APR period. Can anyone tell me if the card for average credit is for rebuilder as my sister is in the rebuilding stage. When I chatted online with a couple of Capital One CSR's they both kept saying the green cash rewards card for average credit is not a rebuilder. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Capital One's website shows what they currently consider to be "average" credi.  It's a Javascript popup.

Paraphrasing:

More than 60 days late on more than one credit card, medical bill, or loan payment in the last year

OR

Declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a loan in the past five years

OR

Limited credit history. (less than three years).

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

After speaking about this to a CSR they apparently do not know about this Smiley Very Happy

I would gladly take the Green Cash card for average credit!

Hi LS,

You can go to www.capitalone.com and click on the green cash rewards card with the safe and spinning combination lock or find out more and both cash rewards card for excellent and average credit will appear.

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

So will those of us with the no hassle cash rewards card with the 2% back on gas and groceries be able to product change to the new green cash card?

I have the no hassle cash card with the 39 dollar annual fee and since I already have my United mileage plus Visa and Discover more those are the cards I will use for everything. So when the annual fee is due on my cap 1 card I will ask to be product changed to the no annual fee green card or close the account.

Message 9 of 27
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on where you sister is in the rebuilding stage. Capital One Average credit seems to be for people who have made some progress in rebuilding.  

I suggest your sister try out the Capital One "See if you are prequailfied".  It is a good way to see where you are.    I would pick from what they offer to apply for.  IMO, Capital One secured card is a good option for rebuilding if that is what they offer.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.