cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Cash Reward Card – Denied – Refuse to Say why!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Cash Reward Card – Denied – Refuse to Say why!

@SenorDragon wrote:

Sorry to hear  MsNae. I had a very similar experience with a CapOne CSR recently. I applied and was approved for the exact card but my rate was not the best available, so I tried calling them to find out why that was given my lack of any baddies on my record and 8+ years of good history with Capital One. They weren't able to give me an answer, just to call back when the intro 0% was over and they'd "work with me" to get a better interest rate. 

@learnin113 wrote:

Why do people continue to give Crap One the time of day...I will never understand!

I was reluctant to do so due to the stuff I've read here, but my everyday cards are Amex and Discover and I wanted an all-purpose rewards card for those few places that don't take Amex or Discover. At an effective 1.5% cash back, seemed like a good choice for a back-up card and since I have no intent in buying a house/car anytime soon, the 3 hard pulls wasn't much of an issue.

Thank you for your response. I need to exercise some patience in this matter, I understand...I'm in the garden anyway..but I was hoping (still hoping) to be able to fix this at some point. If not..lesson learned.

Nae

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tntexans72 wrote:

So declined and no success in recon.....did you check your credit reports?

Did they pulled all 3 reports?

Sorry to hear......

Not recently. Before I applied, I know my scores where holding in the mid 700's from all three...from a earlier pull in october. 

Nae

Message 22 of 37
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

So declined and no success in recon.....did you check your credit reports?

Did they pulled all 3 reports?

Sorry to hear......

Not recently. Before I applied, I know my scores where holding in the mid 700's from all three...from a earlier pull in october. 

Nae

Wow mid 700 should get you a prime card

Message 23 of 37
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I closed my Cap One secured card last month and am trying to get another MasterCard to replace it.  I even considered apping for another Cap One product (unsecured, of course), but I am so annoyed that they never converted my secured card that I really don't want to do business with them again.

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jasimae wrote:

I closed my Cap One secured card last month and am trying to get another MasterCard to replace it.  I even considered apping for another Cap One product (unsecured, of course), but I am so annoyed that they never converted my secured card that I really don't want to do business with them again.

I Included A Cap1 Card In A BK 7 15 Years Ago, Cap1 Sent My BK Attorney A Re-Affirmation Offer Which I Accepted.  The Offer Indicated That By Accepting I Would Be Helping Myself, I Would Get Regular Increases Once The Re-Affirmed Balance Was Paid, Etc....  So Fast Forward, Balance Paid, Used Card, PIF A Few Times.  I Called And Requested A CLI, Rep Said My Account Was Never Going Be Eligible For A CLI Because It Was A Re-Affirmation Account.  I Explained An May Have Even Read The Letter My BK Attorney Received In Which It Indicated I Would Be Eligible After The Original Balance Was Paid.

Some Folks Stand By Cap1 And Others Hate Them.  I Myself Have Had A Mixed Bag Over The Years.  If You've Qualified For Other Cards, I'd Forget It And Move On.

Message 25 of 37
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I don't usually see Cap One secured cards becoming unsecured so not sure why others would expect differently.  I have never read about a recon working with Cap One either but would love to read some stories if it has happened! 

They may "refuse to say why" you were denied but you will get the answers anyway in a letter in a mail.  They must either really not know why, with their position level, or they are not allowed to tell you due to company policy (wouldn't blame them - imagine all the reactions they would get from all the denied people!).

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 26 of 37
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@clocktick wrote:

I don't usually see Cap One secured cards becoming unsecured so not sure why others would expect differently.  I have never read about a recon working with Cap One either but would love to read some stories if it has happened! 

They may "refuse to say why" you were denied but you will get the answers anyway in a letter in a mail.  They must either really not know why, with their position level, or they are not allowed to tell you due to company policy (wouldn't blame them - imagine all the reactions they would get from all the denied people!).

+ 1

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

I called Cap1 regarding my denied application one last time. I am humbled to say that this was a direct result of not taking better care of my existing Cap1 account.  A few late payments in the past (few days..I forgot). However, I have credit protection (?) on the account, therefore they didn't report that. But, they were not happy with me. I promised to do better. It stings though because I have no baddies and my recent scores are nice. Lesson learned.

On the other hand..I app'd for a Citi Simplicity..(before I entered the Garden)..no instant approval, yet no denial. Called recon..verified some information..and they still told me to wait 7-10 days.. "still processing". I saw that they pulled EX only. Recent credit reports only show 4 inquires total. I'm in good standing.

Anyone else got the "wait and see" treatment from them and was approved later?

Ms. Nae

Message 28 of 37
learnin113
Established Contributor

Seriously, with scores in the 700s, you could go for Citi or Chase.  No need for Crap One.

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@learnin113 wrote:

Seriously, with scores in the 700s, you could go for Citi or Chase.  No need for Crap One.

Thanks. I did! But, I didn't know my scores before I app'd. Mistake. I just figured that since I already had an account with them..it would be so easy. But, since I have gotten my scores...I have gotten better cards. I am currently waiting on CITI. I created a new post about that.

I thank you for the head-slap!

Ms. Nae

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.