cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - Considering Cancellation.

tag
spritezero1017
Valued Member

Re: Capital One - Considering Cancellation.

Just for kicks, I did email CapOne EO and explained my situation and asked for a manual review of my accounts for CLI which would be more in line with my current credit status and my other credit lines with both CapOne (my Vetnure card) and others I have. I expect neither a waiving of my fees nor the CLI but what the heck, why not make a case and ask. I will mostly likely close all three if I get the "sorry, guy" answer I mostly expect. 

Also will be closing my CreditOne next week (CL of $1050 with an AF of $96).

Credit Cards
Chase Slate (16.4K) / First National AmEx (12.7K), Citi AAdvantage (11K), Barclay Arrival (10.5K) / Capital One Quicksilver (10K), Wells Fargo Rewards (9K) / Chase Sapphire Preferred (8K) / DCU Platinum Rewards (7.5K) / Citi ThankYou Premier (6.2K) / Discover IT (4.4K) / CapOne Venture (5K) / JC Penney Mastercard (1.6K) / Citi Simplicity (3.8K) / AmEx Starwood Preferred (3K) / AmEx Blue Preferred (3K) / Citi Diamond Preferred (1.2K)

Store Cards
Firestone (1.2K) / Marathon Gas ($930) / Fingerhut ($750) / Best Buy ($550) / Citgo ($300) / Macy's ($200) /
Message 11 of 39
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Hello. I have 4 Cap One cards. I recently made a very large leap from building cards to premium cards. I have a new Venture card with a 5K limit and 3 CapOne cards from my early days. Their annual fees are not really in line with their credit limits for me anymore. They are:

1.  $750 Limit - $39 AF

2.  $750 Limit - $19 AF

3.  $300 Limit - $60 AF (!!!)

Concerning that last one, I just chatted with a CapOne rep who said they could not waive the annual fee. I asked about a soft pull increase request. He directed me to their website and assured me their increases are not hard pulls. So I did that to see if I could get an increase that made the AF make more sense for me. They offered a whopping $500 increase. So the line would be $800 with the $60 annual fee. Still really awful so I decline the increase with the intention of probably closing that account. 

My recent cards are Citi AAdvantage, AMEX Blue, Discover, CSP, Barcaly's Arrival, Venture, DCU & Wells Fargo. Total new credit lines = $45,000K.

I'm assuming it makes sense to cacnel this stupid $300 CapOne and perhaps the others?

(BTW - also definitely going away is my Credit One with it's $96 AF on a $1200 line). Tired of paying and babysittiing piddling $5 and $8 a month fees.)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Which one of those is your oldest card?   I'd recommend seeing if you can make the oldest one a more useable card and just close the others.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 39
spritezero1017
Valued Member

The oldest is the $300 card with the $60 AF.

Credit Cards
Chase Slate (16.4K) / First National AmEx (12.7K), Citi AAdvantage (11K), Barclay Arrival (10.5K) / Capital One Quicksilver (10K), Wells Fargo Rewards (9K) / Chase Sapphire Preferred (8K) / DCU Platinum Rewards (7.5K) / Citi ThankYou Premier (6.2K) / Discover IT (4.4K) / CapOne Venture (5K) / JC Penney Mastercard (1.6K) / Citi Simplicity (3.8K) / AmEx Starwood Preferred (3K) / AmEx Blue Preferred (3K) / Citi Diamond Preferred (1.2K)

Store Cards
Firestone (1.2K) / Marathon Gas ($930) / Fingerhut ($750) / Best Buy ($550) / Citgo ($300) / Macy's ($200) /
Message 13 of 39
spritezero1017
Valued Member

Well that was quick. I emailed CapOne EO at 2:30pm EST and at 5:00pm they called me. The gentleman was very nice, very talkative and servicey. Took some general info (salary, housing payment) and asked what I would like the increase on my three low-limit cards to be. I asked that they match the line on my Venture card which is 5K. This is surely a ridiculous request but why not ask? He asked if I would be willing to accept a partial increase if they couldn't approve the full requested amount. I said that depended on the amount and if it made sense for me but the full requested amount on those cards would allow me to keep a lot of my credit business with CapOne. 

He said he would be submitting the request to an underwriter for a review and I'd have an answer within 5 business days. He assured me only a soft pull is involved. 

For a soft pull and a half hour of my time on a Friday afternoon I'll let them look at it. I'll reassess when they present an offer and am completely prepared to just close 'em up if they don't work for me. 

Credit Cards

Store Cards
Message 14 of 39
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

Glad you got thru to EO. If they can't waive the AFs permanantly or PC any of them to a no-fee product, then I would cancel all three. CLIs are irrelevant, given your new accounts.

I realize they are your oldest cards but you will end up shelling out 60+ bucks a year forever! And as others noted, they will still factor into AAoA for 10 years after closing.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 15 of 39
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Well that was quick. I emailed CapOne EO at 2:30pm EST and at 5:00pm they called me. The gentleman was very nice, very talkative and servicey. Took some general info (salary, housing payment) and asked what I would like the increase on my three low-limit cards to be. I asked that they match the line on my Venture card which is 5K. This is surely a ridiculous request but why not ask? He asked if I would be willing to accept a partial increase if they couldn't approve the full requested amount. I said that depended on the amount and if it made sense for me but the full requested amount on those cards would allow me to keep a lot of my credit business with CapOne. 

He said he would be submitting the request to an underwriter for a review and I'd have an answer within 5 business days. He assured me only a soft pull is involved. 

For a soft pull and a half hour of my time on a Friday afternoon I'll let them look at it. I'll reassess when they present an offer and am completely prepared to just close 'em up if they don't work for me. 

They're pretty good at calling you back, hoping they'll bring some good news for ya. 

IMO, even if you don't get the full CLIs + AFs being waived, i wouldn't close all three cards..i would still keep the QS open and close the other 2 and ask them to waive the AF on the QS.  QS is a great card and 1.5% cashback on all purchases seems pretty good compared to some other cards.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 16 of 39
bk510
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Hello. I have 4 Cap One cards. I recently made a very large leap from building cards to premium cards. I have a new Venture card with a 5K limit and 3 CapOne cards from my early days. Their annual fees are not really in line with their credit limits for me anymore. They are:

1.  $750 Limit - $39 AF 

2.  $750 Limit - $19 AF

Contact Cap1 EO and see if you can get the AF removed for all above accounts. 

Concerning that last one, I just chatted with a CapOne rep who said they could not waive the annual fee (Contact EO via FB or Email and they'll call you back) I asked about a soft pull increase request. He directed me to their website and assured me their increases are not hard pulls. So I did that to see if I could get an increase that made the AF make more sense for me. They offered a whopping $500 increase. So the line would be $800 with the $60 annual fee. Still really awful so I decline the increase with the intention of probably closing that account. 

My recent cards are Citi AAdvantage, AMEX Blue, Discover, CSP, Barcaly's Arrival, Venture, DCU & Wells Fargo. Total new credit lines = $45,000K.

I'm assuming it makes sense to cacnel this stupid $300 CapOne and perhaps the others?

(BTW - also definitely going away is my Credit One with it's $96 AF on a $1200 line). Tired of paying and babysittiing piddling $5 and $8 a month fees.)

You have some good cards under your belt, and i'm sure unless Cap1 gives you the CLI on your $300, there's no use.  Contact the EO and see if you can get CLIs on all your cards and also have them waive the AFs. 

If you decide to close them, those closed accounts will still stay on your CR for 10yrs and still will be factored in, so you don't have to worry about your AAoA. 

@yudeology101 wrote:

@spritezero1017 wrote:

1.  $750 Limit - $39 AF 

2.  $750 Limit - $19 AF

Contact Cap1 EO and see if you can get the AF removed for all above accounts. 

Concerning that last one, I just chatted with a CapOne rep who said they could not waive the annual fee (Contact EO via FB or Email and they'll call you back) I asked about a soft pull increase request. He directed me to their website and assured me their increases are not hard pulls. So I did that to see if I could get an increase that made the AF make more sense for me. They offered a whopping $500 increase. So the line would be $800 with the $60 annual fee. Still really awful so I decline the increase with the intention of probably closing that account. 

You have some good cards under your belt, and i'm sure unless Cap1 gives you the CLI on your $300, there's no use.  Contact the EO and see if you can get CLIs on all your cards and also have them waive the AFs. 

If you decide to close them, those closed accounts will still stay on your CR for 10yrs and still will be factored in, so you don't have to worry about your AAoA. 

+1000

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 17 of 39
bk510
Valued Contributor

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Just for kicks, I did email CapOne EO and explained my situation and asked for a manual review of my accounts for CLI which would be more in line with my current credit status and my other credit lines with both CapOne (my Vetnure card) and others I have. I expect neither a waiving of my fees nor the CLI but what the heck, why not make a case and ask. I will mostly likely close all three if I get the "sorry, guy" answer I mostly expect. 

Also will be closing my CreditOne next week (CL of $1050 with an AF of $96).

I received credit one mail offer and I tore up the card and mailed it back with big fat "LOL YOU WISH".

Close that sucker PLEASE!!!

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 18 of 39
bk510
Valued Contributor

@spritezero1017 wrote:

The oldest is the $300 card with the $60 AF.

I didn't even know that Cap1 had a annual fee of 60 on any cards.... thats crazy.

Message 19 of 39
bk510
Valued Contributor

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

Glad you got thru to EO. If they can't waive the AFs permanantly or PC any of them to a no-fee product, then I would cancel all three. CLIs are irrelevant, given your new accounts.

I realize they are your oldest cards but you will end up shelling out 60+ bucks a year forever! And as others noted, they will still factor into AAoA for 10 years after closing.

+1 Sexy

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.