cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - Considering Cancellation.

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One - Considering Cancellation.

Crapital One was the first card I ever had and the hardest to close. I gave them chance after chance after chance to show their committment to me as a 7 year long customer with zero defaults. It took me that long to get a 5k limit then they refused to increase it any higher. While Amex and Chase have extended me over 35k in cred each, Crapital One was being a shiz head. So I closed that ho.

Forget Crapital One and their games.

Even though that was my oldest account, and I closed it, there was ZERO effect on my FICO scores. Closed accounts count in aaoa; it's true.

Credit Karma's janky scoring system;s aaoa only accounts for open acccounts.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 31 of 39
sexydoll

Another option, if the cards are all MC or all Visa, is to have them merge the accounts. They can combine the MC so that you have one account and the limit will bethe combined limit of the two accounts.  I think the only requirement is that they have to be at least 6 months old.  You will definitely need to speak to a representative to do this and I recommend you keep the one that is the oldest or lowest APR/AF if the age isnt that much different.

Seedling (05/31/14):

Starting Score: CH7 BK 02/25/13 -- EQ474 EX538 TU503 06/03/13
Current Score: EQ580 EX626 TU619 05/30/14
Goal Score: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
CH7 BK 02/25/13
Cards: Credit One ($500) Cap One ($500 & $500) Kohls ($300) Merrick($200) SDFCU ($1K Secured)

Seedling:

Gardening since May 31, 2014
Starting TU(503) EX(538) EQ(474) - 06/05/13
Message 32 of 39
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One - Considering Cancellation - UPDATED

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Soooo... a week later I hear back from CapOne EO. I already knew the outcome as they had already updated my accounts online. Two of the three cards in question were given no CLI and the third went from $750 to $1000.

1.  $750 Limit - $39 AF - $250 CLI to $1000

2.  $750 Limit - $19 AF - No CLI

3.  $300 Limit - $60 AF - No CLI

He calls me, apologizes for two of them not being "eligible" for CLIs and congratulating me (boy was he excited for me!) on the $250 CLI on the one card. I thanked him for his efforts (blah, blah) and told him I wanted to close them all. He was caught off guard but walked me through the process and they were all closed. I got his name, requested written confirmation of the closures and confirmed they would show report as being closed at my request. 

So no more babysitting $5 and $8 monthly fees for insulting limits. I still have my Venture card (5K) and a handful of other quality cards totaling about 45K in limits so I'm good. 

Onward and upward.

Bwah, ha, ha, bwah, ha, ha, don't worry I am not laughing at you, I am laughing at Capone.  It seems like all the changes they have made in the last year have worn off.  You would have thought they would have at least waived the AF's so that you wouldn't have closed the cards.  Even people in the credit steps program have gotten higher increases than this!  You should go post on their Facebook Page about this.  While it probably won't help anything, it might mean others might become aware of it.  I must admit, for myself, that at this point if I had an AF card with them and they refused to waive it at least, then I would close it.  I did that once at the 2 year mark with one of their cards.  The CSR's refused to budge on the card fee, so I said close the card, I wasn't going to play their silly games.  I replaced it a year or so later with a Signature card.  I got a $100 reward for using the card and have yet to pay any interest on the card.  Oh such a wise way of doing business Capone!  Don't simply waive the AF, instead make me get a $100 reward!  The second card I had with them a few months later came due with an AF.  I asked for them to remove the AF, they said no, but they said they could waive it for the year.  I said I wanted it removed, they waived it.  I called back a few days later and clearly said that I wanted it removed not waived, so they waived it.  I called back once again and asked that it be removed, not waived, and they waived it again.  I never asked them to waive it, I never asked them to waive it 3 times, I was very clear in my conversation with them.  I asked for it to be removed!  I also never told them it had been waived already and I also never told them not to.  Boy did I choose my words carefully!  And boy did I laugh about it for a while.  I later got the AF removed on the second card from the EO.  Two years ago it seems like it was a bit easier to get that done!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 33 of 39
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@sexydoll wrote:

Another option, if the cards are all MC or all Visa, is to have them merge the accounts. They can combine the MC so that you have one account and the limit will bethe combined limit of the two accounts.  I think the only requirement is that they have to be at least 6 months old.  You will definitely need to speak to a representative to do this and I recommend you keep the one that is the oldest or lowest APR/AF if the age isnt that much different.

Is this really true? I've just emailed Capital One EO about this exact scenario, my first ever credit card (therefore my oldest) is a Cap One that I've worked up through several EO CLIs and PCs to a $5k Quicksilver with no AF and 5.9% APR. I also have a much newer $15k Venture with an AF. I'd love to close the Venture and move the CL to the QS, for a $20k QS with no AF and 5.9% APR... that'd be a pretty awesome card.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 34 of 39
stillirise
New Contributor

DOH!

I didnt know the AAoA stays if you close the card. Shucks ....why am I holding on to a crappy card?

Smiley Surprised

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Message 35 of 39
stillirise
New Contributor

My Capital One acct was purchased by Citi are they any better? So far it doesnt seem to be any better. I have this silly card that was opened with a 300 dollar limit. They finally bumped it up to 600.... My next smallest limit card is 4k ...

I wanted to close it but was afraid it would hurt my AAoA. Its confusing that citi bought it won't increase it but constantly send me letters for their simplicity and rewards cards.

Now that I know it wont hurt me.....I predict it wont be open much longer  Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Message 36 of 39
spritezero1017
Valued Member

Original Poster here. As I understand it, the closed account(s) will report in good standing (as long as it's closed as such) for 10 years and so not negatively affect your AAoA. 

Mine were my three oldest cards but their low limits, high AFs and CapOne's refusal to do anything serious about either left me no choice. Good riddance to them. 

I recently aquired a very nice selection of cards (see below) and have grown past my building cards. 

Next up to cancel on Monday is my Credit One. $1015 credit Limt wth a $96 AF. Ridiculous for me anymore. 

Credit Cards
Chase Slate (16.4K) / First National AmEx (12.7K), Citi AAdvantage (11K), Barclay Arrival (10.5K) / Capital One Quicksilver (10K), Wells Fargo Rewards (9K) / Chase Sapphire Preferred (8K) / DCU Platinum Rewards (7.5K) / Citi ThankYou Premier (6.2K) / Discover IT (4.4K) / CapOne Venture (5K) / JC Penney Mastercard (1.6K) / Citi Simplicity (3.8K) / AmEx Starwood Preferred (3K) / AmEx Blue Preferred (3K) / Citi Diamond Preferred (1.2K)

Store Cards
Firestone (1.2K) / Marathon Gas ($930) / Fingerhut ($750) / Best Buy ($550) / Citgo ($300) / Macy's ($200) /
Message 37 of 39
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Original Poster here. As I understand it, the closed account(s) will report in good standing (as long as it's closed as such) for 10 years and so not negatively affect your AAoA. 

Mine were my three oldest cards but their low limits, high AFs and CapOne's refusal to do anything serious about either left me no choice. Good riddance to them. 

I recently aquired a very nice selection of cards (see below) and have grown past my building cards. 

Next up to cancel on Monday is my Credit One. $1015 credit Limt wth a $96 AF. Ridiculous for me anymore. 

Yup, that is the way it works, and FWIW I did the same with my own Cap One nee Orchard the other day.  Best I could get was an upgrade to the QS rewards package but still with the $59 AF: no thanks.

The only possible concerning factor is you now have fewer tradelines to play reindeer games with (number of cards reporting a balance before it starts hurting your score) but if you're managing your reported balances in any fashion as a lot of members do on this forum, you'll be fine.

        
Message 38 of 39
sexydoll

@CreditJim wrote:

@sexydoll wrote:

Is this really true? I've just emailed Capital One EO about this exact scenario, my first ever credit card (therefore my oldest) is a Cap One that I've worked up through several EO CLIs and PCs to a $5k Quicksilver with no AF and 5.9% APR. I also have a much newer $15k Venture with an AF. I'd love to close the Venture and move the CL to the QS, for a $20k QS with no AF and 5.9% APR... that'd be a pretty awesome card.

You should call them and ask.  I know they did this for me before my credit went upside down and I plan to do this once my second Cap 1 account reaches 6 months or so.

Seedling (05/31/14):

Starting Score: CH7 BK 02/25/13 -- EQ474 EX538 TU503 06/03/13
Current Score: EQ580 EX626 TU619 05/30/14
Goal Score: 640

CH7 BK 02/25/13
Cards: Credit One ($500) Cap One ($500 & $500) Kohls ($300) Merrick($200) SDFCU ($1K Secured)

Seedling:

Gardening since May 31, 2014
Starting TU(503) EX(538) EQ(474) - 06/05/13
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.