cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Card Restricted for 90 days after missing 6 payments.

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Credit Card Restricted for 90 days after missing 6 payments.

I understand Cap one CSR told you you need to make three consecutive payments, but more often than not, when they restrict use of a card, it can be a very long time until/if card is unrestricted again.
Make your payments like you're supposed to, but if restriction is not lifted after the last payment, dont be surprised
Longest restriction I read about was over 2 years and was still in effect when poster talked about it.
Message 11 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add, I’d make sure those three payments (or as many as it takes to lift the restriction) are well above what any minimum payment amount would conceivably be. I’d be paying at least $150-200 per payment, and if it doesn’t unlock after the third payment, keep paying at that level to show them you mean it in revitalizing your account and maybe they will unlock it. They might do so after three payments, maybe after 8, maybe when you zero the balance. They may let you pay it off and then close it - no way to know and the ball’s in their court.

I recall a thread like the one that @Remedios referenced - it was of the tone that CapOne locked the card account and threw away the key, and moved on to deal with other customers without a second thought.
Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you mentioned that you have the funds, I would just pay it all off and be done with it. 

Wait the 3 months and see if the restriction will be lifted like promised. 

Good luck. 

Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Due to what OP was told, specifically to make payments for three months, I’d at least advise to follow that.
Message 14 of 38
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Bouncing a payment with cap1 is the worst thing you can do in their eyes. They can charge off 50k and give you a new card within a year, but bounce a payment, and they could blacklist you. It sounds like you can pay them off, but still need those funds. I would just pay enough to meet your payment agreement and see what happens in 3 months. It may unrestrict, it could stay restricted for a bit, or they could close the card once paid off. If you can't afford to have those funds tied up, possibly permanently, don't pay it off.

Message 15 of 38
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'm not sure what Brian meant by "Dont pay it off", probably referring to making a large lump payment. I think that's just worded wrong, so continue paying it, or the next sequence is CO, internal collection, possible legal action

While Cap One is frequently referred to as "forgiving", them and Discover would be getting *Most likely to sue you at any time* award for sure.
Regardless, stick with payments and see what happens with it. I sincerely hope you have other cards, because this one will take a while.

By not taking the next natural step (CO) cap one has a better chance of recouping their money if it appears on surface all is not lost for the consumer.
Message 16 of 38
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
I'm not sure what Brian meant by "Dont pay it off", probably referring to making a large lump payment.

Yeah, I had to read that twice.  I agree, do what they say, make the payments as they instructed (not trying to just pay the whole thing off in one lump sum unless CapOne said you could- which doesn't sound like they did.) 

Edit to add OP's stmt:  advised to do this......."3 consecuive payments each over 3 months were made"

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 17 of 38
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

All excellent advise so far. Mine would be this. Let this be Credit Lesson #1 and a new begining for you going forward. Dont bounce payments and dont be late. These 2 factors can have huge consequences for you going forward . Other lenders will close your account immediately for 1 bounced check and adding lates will never help. Until you can figure out how to use credit correctly, id suggest take a break and focus on cleaning up your profile first. Spend some time in the rebuild forum plenty of helpful people and advise there. As for your current situation, if Cap One wants to see 3 straight payments, i would do that. Payment 4, pay the rest off. Its always better to not owe something you were responsible for than not. Even if it doesnt get unrestricted right away. You have fulfilled your debt responsiblity. Good luck OpSmiley Happy
Message 18 of 38
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Capital one wants their money
They are probably saying to make payments because OP missed 5 of them, indicating financial distress.
If they could not meet the minimum payment requirement, asking for a lump sum may lead consumer to abandon the idea of paying in a first place.
Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kinda like the cops telling you if you confess to the murder you can go home and watch the Superbowl tonight.  They are lying.  They want their money.  Even if they are lying you still owe them and your obligation is to pay them. I sure hope you don't pay in full, get your card shut down anyway  and then tell everyone you are a victim.

It doesn't sound very promising if the only reason you are willing to pay is if they continue to allow you to charge on the card.  You are now a risky customer.

Things will be better in 7 years.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.