Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Limit Increase

tag
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Limit Increase

Wait your credit score 756 and you apply for Crappy One !????? 

it's credit step program......

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 24
Cageym
Established Contributor

I have the same card, it's in my signature. Once everything is reporting it's current limits and all is right in the universe I'm going to talk with them about either going higher or cancelling it. One thing to consider is they gave you a chance when no one else would, so that should count for a LITTLE loyalty I think.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow... I didn't realize how rough CapOne was on limits. Especially since they gave me a card(s) when my scores were really low when no one would give me anyting but a secured card.

Cageym: you are close to breaking the amazing 800 barrier and you still have a CapOne with only a $750 limit on it?

I'm grateful for the chance they took on me and giving me a card to let me grow but once a few baddies drop off in the next few months I hope to be able to get some better cards.  Maybe the $750 CapOne can move to sock drawer status.

Message 13 of 24
Cageym
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow... I didn't realize how rough CapOne was on limits. Especially since they gave me a card(s) when my scores were really low when no one would give me anyting but a secured card.

Cageym: you are close to breaking the amazing 800 barrier and you still have a CapOne with only a $750 limit on it?

I'm grateful for the chance they took on me and giving me a card to let me grow but once a few baddies drop off in the next few months I hope to be able to get some better cards.  Maybe the $750 CapOne can move to sock drawer status.

Like I said, there is a loyalty thing involved. And about 1 year and 9 months ago my scores were the 550-ish range, they were the only card I could get. Loyalty only goes so far, my Amex cards are backdated to 1993 so I don't NEED the card for AoAA. If they don't want to raise the limit Ican cancel it with no problem. But I prefer to give them a chance. And I really, really want to break that 800 barrier!!!Smiley LOL

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 14 of 24
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

My Cap One Platinum started at $2000. It was part of the Credit Steps program and automatically went up to $2500 after I think 6 months. Didn't know I was in it until I checked the 'my documents' section on my online Cap One account. 

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 15 of 24
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

That is probably the credit step program kicking in.  It might mean the this is the last increase you get for a long time from them.  I had 2 cards with them for over 2 years.  I closed one at the two year mark because I got nothing from them after the credit step increase.  The other account I kept open because they waived the annual fee and it has cash back.  I kept asking them for an increase and it said the same thing; credit limit increases are not available by customer request for this account.  Finally, I used a new tactic; I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

They called me the same day I filed the complaint!  They however looked at my Household account and my Capital One account and chose to only address the Household account to try and preserve integrity, as if....   Did they think I wouldn't notice and they would get a default positive mark even if I did not accept their settlement?  I quickly put two and two together and held out and rejected the offer stating that I was not referencing the Household account.  They sent it back saying they had talked to me about the account and explained everything to me.  I rejected it again restating that I was not concerned about the Household account as they do give credit limit increases on that account.  When I spoke with Household they said they would forward the complaint on to Capital One card division. 

Guess what?  I waited and waited for the 24-48 hours I was told it would take for them to contact me about the issue.  They never did, so I called Household back and got the right department's phone number and contacted them directly.  They said they would look into it and call me back within 24-48 hours.  They actually did!  I got a call on Black Friday after I had finished my Christmas shopping, actually finishing it while on the phone with them.  They removed the annual fee from my account and raised the limit to 4 times what it used to be.  The restirction of customer initiated credit limit increases is still on the account even though I was assured that my account would be reviewed periodically at this point.  (Yeah, like I believe that!)  I have not heard back from the BBB since the second rejection, so I am hoping it ends up being forgotten about by Capital One.  After all if they are going to try petty tactics with me, then I don't care if they give up and forget to contact the BBB back with the final solution.  If they do I will simply reject it with a statement they have not yet removed the restriction from my account about customer initiated credit limit increases, as I doubt they will then put my limit back.

If anyone else has used their card responsibly and wants to try it, they should.  After all the BBB is pretty good about getting things taken care of.  Or if you need to simply contact thier executive complaints department directly here is the number: 1-800-955-1455.  Good luck trying and getting it from any Capone representative as they will tell you they don't have it or such a department does not exist. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the executive office the other day and someone actually got back to me today.

They asked me about the two accounts that I requested CLI's on.  Currently they are both $750 and I asked for $5000 for each but said that I would accept a partial increase(s) if applicable.  He said that he could not do it himself but he would submit it for a manual review.  He was very nice and was sympathetic to my situation.  Hopefully something comes of this. Fingers crossed.

My question:  If my CL's do increase will that have a positive impact on my credit score?  I know about utilization, but I always pay it off so the utilization is always at 0% or very low. 

If my utilization stays the same, besides the convenience factor of having higher limits, will I likely see any difference in my credit score from a CLI?

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

Message 17 of 24
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

You should always have at least something above 0% for a more positive impact on your credit score.  Usually about 40% is the best unless you have a serious delinquency or bankruptcy and then it is about 20%.  You should use you card as if you would cash then and pay it in full every month after the statement cycles.

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought it was more like 9%, - 12%.  Not as high as 40%?

Either way... Suppose I have the usage at the optimal amount.  If all other factors stay the same, will I see in change in score from just a CLI?

Message 19 of 24
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought it was more like 9%, - 12%.  Not as high as 40%?

Either way... Suppose I have the usage at the optimal amount.  If all other factors stay the same, will I see in change in score from just a CLI?

If your account limit is over $2,500 then yes you should see an increase then.  If these are the only cards you have and you have not had them for long then they might not give you a huge limit increase.  From what you score is they might not give it to you either.  If you have other cards with high limits then you might be able to qualify for a much better limit with them.  They sometimes try to match your other limits.  When I got a limit over $2500 then my score jumped about 25 points I think.  Another factor some banks look at is the high usage limit for credit limits.  Even if your balance is low but you have in the past charged up to your limit then this is an aspect that some consider with granting or raising limits.  Are your cards rebuilder cards?

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.