cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Pathway program (not credit steps)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Credit Pathway program (not credit steps)

Has anyone heard of "credit pathway?" I've had a visa platinum with a credit limit for $750 for many years now (terrible, I know. Have been seriously rebuilding for the past 3 months (with success!)) I've been requesting for CLI but Capital one has been offering a LOUSY $100 CLI. So I've been declining. It wasn't until I received an email where I discovered I was enrolled in their credit pathway program on 5/30.

Email subject: Update to your credit line increase request, (my name)

Increase your credit line to $1,000.

Re: Your account ending in 1xxx

(My name,)

We want you to get more from your credit card. And while we were unable to approve your recent credit line increase request, there’s a way you can access a higher credit line by December 2016.

Your clear path to a higher credit line

Increase your credit line to
$1,000
by paying at least $50 or your current balance on time for your next six monthly payments.

There’s nothing to sign up for. The countdown to your higher credit line begins with your next payment, which is due by June 25, 2016.

Two ways to help keep payments on time, every time
If you haven’t already, schedule auto payments. You can also set payment due alerts. Both these tools will help you make more than your minimum payment on time each month—an important step in helping improve your credit score.

I called a capital one rep and verified that this is not a Credit Steps program but rather Credit Pathway.
Anyone have experience with this?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Pathway program (not credit steps)

There's been a few post on here about it, I've never heard of it referred to as Pathways but not credit steps either. My DH had something similar but didn't even have a balance on his card, I suspect it was to get him to use it to gain another CLI before 6 months from his last one. It sounds more to me like they want you to use the card and make payments larger than the minimum and in exchange they'll give you a CLI finally.

Message 2 of 10
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of that program...but if the limit is only $750 and they're wanting you to pay $50x6mo for an increase...is the card near maxed?   That's $300 bucks of a $750 limit...which may be a reason why the CLI's are being declined? 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@loquat
To be honest, I've had this card nearly maxed out and paid the minimum for the many years I've had it. It wasn't until this year- February to current that I've been religiously trying to get in Capital One's good graces. Last month alone, I spent $1300 on this Card and PIF 6x in one month. The rep said.... This is capital one's attempt at giving me a "2nd chance at a CLI. So in 6 months time, my limit should be $1750."

I asked $1750, not $1000? Supervisor said "$1750." Which may seem low to many of you-- but this would be huge milestone for me. I haven't had a CL more than $3k since I abandoned by credit.
Message 4 of 10
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

If your scores are good enough app for a new card of theirs? Cap1 is good at giving better limits to creditworthy customers
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved for MC platinum and Quicksilver One. Still with CL but it's the first 2 cards I've been approved for in a long while.:-) going to take care of these 3 cards and "garden."
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

**still with LOW CL but both cards are in the credit steps program
Message 7 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Loquat
To be honest, I've had this card nearly maxed out and paid the minimum for the many years I've had it. It wasn't until this year- February to current that I've been religiously trying to get in Capital One's good graces. Last month alone, I spent $1300 on this Card and PIF 6x in one month. The rep said.... This is capital one's attempt at giving me a "2nd chance at a CLI. So in 6 months time, my limit should be $1750."

I asked $1750, not $1000? Supervisor said "$1750." Which may seem low to many of you-- but this would be huge milestone for me. I haven't had a CL more than $3k since I abandoned by credit.

If it is godo for you, that is all that matters

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uh, how did it go...because that letter states that you will receive a credit increase up to $1000.00 not an additional $1000.00

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the full $1000.00 Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.