joshkm
New Contributor

Re: Capital One Experience

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

I wish I would have been able to get the EO to permanently remove the AF on my Quick Silver One. 

Have you tried to PC the Quicksilver One MC to the Quicksilver MC?

For some folks the PC of a Quicksilver One MC to a Quicksilver is very elusive... I've been told for 3 years now that "there are no offers available at this time".  My QS1 annual fee is $79, and they usually waive half of it, which means I'm still paying more than somebody with a new QS1 card.  I've not closed the account because it's one of my oldest, and the APR is actually not bad (14.9%).

Now that we can merge/combine accounts, that seems to be the answer to both the AF and APR issues.  The AF issue is usually workable (with an annual phone call for most) but if Capital One can ever figure out how to lower an APR without requiring the EO they will become even more competitive than they are now.

$79 that's high! How did you end up paying that? Was it another product before?

My QS1 AF was $29 and that was because it was a Platinum before I had it changed over. It always bugged me because a couple days after I apped for it I saw they lowered the AF on the Platinum to $19 or something like that.

Yeah, it was an HSBC/Orchard Bank Mastercard with 2% cash back.  They lowered my cash back to 1.5% when it became a Quicksilver, but kept the AF the same.  I would have closed it long ago, but it's one of my oldest cards (it's now eight years old) and I keep hoping they'll change their mind on the AF.  I'm $80 away from breaking the $3k threshhold on the credit limit, and some folks here believe that will make it easier to PC to the Quicksilver.

We'll see... I'm up for a CLI in December.  If they don't do the PC after that, I'll definitely merge it with my no-AF Quicksilver Visa Signature.  There's no way I'm paying that fee (or even half of it) again.  Smiley Sad

It's hard to let go of your oldest TL. That was my dilemma too. Mine wasn't as old as yours though. 8 years is a long time. I knew the longer I held on to mine, the more I wouldn't want to close it, so I just did it and haven't regreted it. If I were in your shoes I don't know if I could close it, but I wouldn't want to be paying $80 a year for it either!

It's no fun being held hostage and paying ransom. I hope you have success with your CLI and getting rid of that fee!

Message 11 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

I wish I would have been able to get the EO to permanently remove the AF on my Quick Silver One. 

For some folks the PC of a Quicksilver One MC to a Quicksilver is very elusive... I've been told for 3 years now that "there are no offers available at this time".  My QS1 annual fee is $79, and they usually waive half of it, which means I'm still paying more than somebody with a new QS1 card.  I've not closed the account because it's one of my oldest, and the APR is actually not bad (14.9%).

Now that we can merge/combine accounts, that seems to be the answer to both the AF and APR issues.  The AF issue is usually workable (with an annual phone call for most) but if Capital One can ever figure out how to lower an APR without requiring the EO they will become even more competitive than they are now.

My QS1 AF was $29 and that was because it was a Platinum before I had it changed over. It always bugged me because a couple days after I apped for it I saw they lowered the AF on the Platinum to $19 or something like that.

Yeah, it was an HSBC/Orchard Bank Mastercard with 2% cash back.  They lowered my cash back to 1.5% when it became a Quicksilver, but kept the AF the same.  I would have closed it long ago, but it's one of my oldest cards (it's now eight years old) and I keep hoping they'll change their mind on the AF.  I'm $80 away from breaking the $3k threshhold on the credit limit, and some folks here believe that will make it easier to PC to the Quicksilver.

We'll see... I'm up for a CLI in December.  If they don't do the PC after that, I'll definitely merge it with my no-AF Quicksilver Visa Signature.  There's no way I'm paying that fee (or even half of it) again.  Smiley Sad

It's hard to let go of your oldest TL. That was my dilemma too. Mine wasn't as old as yours though. 8 years is a long time. I knew the longer I held on to mine, the more I wouldn't want to close it, so I just did it and haven't regreted it. If I were in your shoes I don't know if I could close it, but I wouldn't want to be paying $80 a year for it either!

It's no fun being held hostage and paying ransom. I hope you have success with your CLI and getting rid of that fee!

Thanks! 

I agree, it is a bit like being 'held hostage'... each year when I call, they are quick to remind me "with the age of your account and its perfect history, this is quite a strong account...".   Strangely enough, it's the APR that makes me hesitant to close it, since it's my lowest at 14.9% (my next lowest is USAA at 16.9%). 

This is really silly since I generally don't carry a balance, and even if I did for a short time the difference between 14.9 and 16.9 would be minuscule, but it's a psychological thing, I guess... LOL

Look for a thread from me around the holidays... I'm hoping to have good news around then!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if writing a letter pleading your case (and making it ooze of honey) to the EO would make a difference.

Message 13 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if writing a letter pleading your case (and making it ooze of honey) to the EO would make a difference.

That's a good point... it definitely might, and I'm certainly not beyond 'begging' if the money is right (LOL), but for this I'm ready to just move on - with this card, or without it.

As for the OP's APR dilemma, some folks have reported having some luck with getting a reduction through the EO, and it's always a possibility.  Otherwise it's best to just app for a new account with a lower rate, and after six months merge the old credit line into the new one.

Message 14 of 21
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Don't feel bad, standard rate is 34.9% in England.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 15 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Don't feel bad, standard rate is 34.9% in England.

Oh my... that certainly 'encourages' one to PIF each month!  Smiley Surprised

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

Thanks! 

I agree, it is a bit like being 'held hostage'... each year when I call, they are quick to remind me "with the age of your account and its perfect history, this is quite a strong account...".   Strangely enough, it's the APR that makes me hesitant to close it, since it's my lowest at 14.9% (my next lowest is USAA at 16.9%). 

This is really silly since I generally don't carry a balance, and even if I did for a short time the difference between 14.9 and 16.9 would be minuscule, but it's a psychological thing, I guess... LOL

Look for a thread from me around the holidays... I'm hoping to have good news around then!  Smiley Very Happy

This got me excited. Whatchya plottin' UncleB???????

Message 17 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

Thanks! 

LOL... well, I'm really 'thinking out loud' at this point, but while lots of folks go for high credit lines, right now I would actually prefer a card with a lower APR (I have all the available credit I need for my modest income).

Capital One has been fairly consistent with their offers to me the last few months, with the standard 17.9% Venture and QS offers always showing up, but lately they've also offered me a no-AF 'Platinum' MasterCard with a slightly lower APR... if that offer is still around in January or February, I might just have to pick it up and after six months merge my existing QS1 into it.  At some point, I could probably even convert it to a QS, which would really just put me back where I am now, but with a lower APR.

Of course if I picked up the Venture I could take advantage of the sign up bonus, but after that it wouldn't be of much use to me (and while more credit lines are always nice, in my case it would be over-kill).  It seems there have been more reports of folks having trouble getting two cards in the same day lately, with the second application not going through, so that's not the 'sure thing' it once was (although there are folks who are still successful...)

This all really depends on the pre-qual offers I have in January; if the offers aren't significantly better than what I have now, I'll simply wait.  My last two baddies will age off next summer (finally...) so worst-case scenario is I'll just wait until then.  Since I don't have another QS1 annual fee until July, I have some time to figure it all out.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@joshkm wrote:

Thanks! 

LOL... well, I'm really 'thinking out loud' at this point, but while lots of folks go for high credit lines, right now I would actually prefer a card with a lower APR (I have all the available credit I need for my modest income).

Capital One has been fairly consistent with their offers to me the last few months, with the standard 17.9% Venture and QS offers always showing up, but lately they've also offered me a no-AF 'Platinum' MasterCard with a slightly lower APR... if that offer is still around in January or February, I might just have to pick it up and after six months merge my existing QS1 into it.  At some point, I could probably even convert it to a QS, which would really just put me back where I am now, but with a lower APR.

Of course if I picked up the Venture I could take advantage of the sign up bonus, but after that it wouldn't be of much use to me (and while more credit lines are always nice, in my case it would be over-kill).  It seems there have been more reports of folks having trouble getting two cards in the same day lately, with the second application not going through, so that's not the 'sure thing' it once was (although there are folks who are still successful...)

This all really depends on the pre-qual offers I have in January; if the offers aren't significantly better than what I have now, I'll simply wait.  My last two baddies will age off next summer (finally...) so worst-case scenario is I'll just wait until then.  Since I don't have another QS1 annual fee until July, I have some time to figure it all out.  Smiley Very Happy

Cool!  Sorry OP for hijack.

UncleB, have you considered a credit union card, with a decent limit, low APR, and offers cash back?

Message 19 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cool!  Sorry OP for hijack.

UncleB, have you considered a credit union card, with a decent limit, low APR, and offers cash back?

Yep, getting my NFCU membership in January (once my USAF brother gets his) and I plan to app for a card with them once the baddies drop off in summer/fall.  I checked out their offerings just a week or so ago, and they advertise a low-APR MasterCard.  I have no idea how much lower the rate would be compared to their rewards cards, but since I already have the QS (which is the same rewards-wise as NFCU) I'll probably just go for the MasterCard with the time comes.

Great minds think alike!  Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.