Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Fraud Dept = JOKE!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Fraud Dept = JOKE!

While I was on vacation last weekend, somehow someone was able to obtain my information for my GM Buy Power card and rack up over $1k in fraudulent purchases. The card hasnt been used in months, and Cap One didnt red flag the (9) charges at JC Pennys for $90 each... Now the fun of locking down reports and filing claims.. Amex or Citi would have caught that right away..

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One Fraud Dept = JOKE!

Appreciate you sharing your frustration on that.

I am suprised in a way because early on with new cards they used to flag even purchases of that amount on me and it was a pain waiting to submit info into their fraud compliance area and wait up to 6-7 days sometimes to get the cards unrestricted.

Just guessing but looks like the perpetrator did those under $100 amounts in series to avoid getting flagged too early but still THAT MANY CHARGES AT ONE PLACE should have raised some sort of overview i agree.

Do you know WHERE those took place at?

Sorry you had to go thru that. I think card company's/POS Terminals should also be programmed with some additional security similar to captcha images to select or something to help better keep these occurances at a minimum.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup. Amex probably would've definitely caught that. 9 charges at the same store, under 100.00 ??? Cmon. Who shops like that at Penny's.
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear about that.  Cap One has been pretty good about emailing me when something comes up outside my usual spending habits.  Hopefully the dispute process will go smoothly enough.

Message 4 of 24
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

For those with Smartphones, do you use the Capital One Wallet app that allow you to lock all Capital One cards if you're not using them as another layer of protection?
Message 5 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@JayRizzo wrote:
For those with Smartphones, do you use the Capital One Wallet app that allow you to lock all Capital One cards if you're not using them as another layer of protection?

+1

I don't know if the Wallet app works the same way with the GM BuyPower card that the OP has, but for my QS cards it works like a dream... you get a message within seconds of the card being swiped/dipped, and if anything is 'amiss' you are able to address it right away.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It has to be the Cap One Wallet app. Their regular app doesn't notify you at all. I wish the two apps were combined into one.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The GM Buy Power card isnt available on the wallet app yet. 

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Cmon. Who shops like that at Penny's."   LMAO you read my mind

Message 9 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The GM Buy Power card isnt available on the wallet app yet. 

I was actually wondering about that... it's too bad, though - it's the perfect answer for this problem.

Capital One needs to work on making all of their MC/V products "Wallet" compatible!  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.