Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Fraud

tag
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Capital One Fraud

I just received a call from Capital One's fraud department (I hung up and called them back). They mentioned MasterCard contacted them informing of a security breach that included my card number. No fraudulent activity was on my account, they're sending me a new card. Good to know that someone is looking out!

Edit:

Just received an email notifying me that I can access my card details using their app. I opened up the Wallet App and there it was, that's pretty neat. It would be cool if all card issues would give you your card details online before you received your physical card. The only other issuer I know who does this is Amex.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Fraud

Capital One Fraud

* fyi, your "Title" can easily lead one to mis-understand  that Capital One "committed" Fraud against  you.

Are your sure that it wasn't MasterCard or someone else?

@-Cal- wrote:

I just received a call from Capital One's fraud department (I hung up and called them back). They mentioned MasterCard contacted them informing of a security breach that included my card number. No fraudulent activity was on my account, they're sending me a new card. Good to know that someone is looking out!

Edit:

Just received an email notifying me that I can access my card details using their app. I opened up the Wallet App and there it was, that's pretty neat. It would be cool if all card issues would give you your card details online before you received your physical card. The only other issuer I know who does this is Amex.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm. Maybe something is going on with them. My Cap1 was declined at Walmart this morning (doggone embarrassing); I PIF nowadays, so I knew there was no way it was a credit limit issue. Pulled up my account when I got home, and in bold red letters it said 'this account is currently restricted', nothing else. Called, and had to listen to elevator music for about 15 min before someone came on the line and said they suspected fraud on my account. So I had to go through a bunch of verification/validation steps to have the restriction lifted. 

Through all this, the rep couldn't tell me what triggered the fraud alert or why they didn't try to contact me first. I used the card for gas about an hour before Walmart (and it worked) and Taco Bell yesterday, and nothing else for the last week or so; doesn't seem particularly fraud-ish... They have now promised to contact me if this happens again, so I don't look like a bum in a checkout line.

Message 3 of 11
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One Fraud

* fyi, your "Title" can easily lead one to mis-understand  that Capital One "committed" Fraud against  you.

Are your sure that it wasn't MasterCard or someone else?

Good thing the body of my topic clears that up.

Message 4 of 11
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmm. Maybe something is going on with them. My Cap1 was declined at Walmart this morning (doggone embarrassing); I PIF nowadays, so I knew there was no way it was a credit limit issue. Pulled up my account when I got home, and in bold red letters it said 'this account is currently restricted', nothing else. Called, and had to listen to elevator music for about 15 min before someone came on the line and said they suspected fraud on my account. So I had to go through a bunch of verification/validation steps to have the restriction lifted. 

Through all this, the rep couldn't tell me what triggered the fraud alert or why they didn't try to contact me first. I used the card for gas about an hour before Walmart (and it worked) and Taco Bell yesterday, and nothing else for the last week or so; doesn't seem particularly fraud-ish... They have now promised to contact me if this happens again, so I don't look like a bum in a checkout line.

Unfortunately, sometimes card issuers are pretty tight lipped about the incident that triggers the fraud alerts. I've caught a rep from Wells Fargo lying about how much he knew about the incident.

Message 5 of 11
happypill
Valued Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, sometimes card issuers are pretty tight lipped about the incident that triggers the fraud alerts. I've caught a rep from Wells Fargo lying about how much he knew about the incident.

You'd think they would be too busy opening accounts to have time to lie to people.  Haha, just kidding!

Message 6 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I've had two Capital One cards replaced due to breaches at places I used the cards. There was no hassle at all between Capital One and me. The only real inconvenience was updating all my autopays.

Last summer and fall, I had several occasions where Capital One's fraud protection temporarily shut down my card. It could have been a drag had I attempted to use the card somewhere in person, but luckily, that never happened. In all but one case, a two-minute call saying I made the charge took care of it. In one case, they gave me a "quiz," then turned the card back on.

Since then, I occasionally get e-mails listing charges that they've spotted. If I recognize them, the e-mail says I'm "good to go."  If I don't recognize them, I'm instructed to call in.

My theory is that Capital One may have kicked in a new fraud algorithm that "got used to me" after a while.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely know how you feel. Happened to me just the other day. One of the reasons that your card may have been triggered for fraud would be online transactions that you are unaware of. I seen that I had a random transaction for $1.82 that caught my attention and when I called chase about it they transferred me to the fraud dept. and come to find out scammers attempted to do a 60 cent purchase for google services online but chase declined them because it looked suspicious. I was never notified and never seen a pending transaction for that amount. All this was happening without my knowledge and no communication from Chase until after I called them about the pending $1.82 transaction. 

Message 8 of 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

It wasn't CapOne, I don't think, but I did use my card once in Detroit at a gas station and shortly thereafter got a fraud alear.  Since it was in Detroit I can completely respect them for checking.  (Hey, before you complain about what I said, know that I was born in Detroit, my father lives in Detroit, and I love Detroit.  I also know what happens there...)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One always emails me about double charges and weird transactions. Their fraud detection is as good or better than American Express'.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.