Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Fraud?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Fraud?

Hi all! New here but I’ve been ghosting the forums for awhile. I’ve had a hell of s time with Capital One today which has prompted making this username, wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

I currently have two accounts with them - in the middle of September I applied for a Quicksilver card (I’m rebuilding) and at the time of application they sent an email requesting copies of my DL and SS card. Okay, kind of weird, but I sent them back and they emailed a few days later saying I was approved and my card was on the way! Awesome!

Fast forward to today - I have never been able to link the QS card in the app and I’m sure I’ve got a payment coming due, so I call customer service. The rep I speak with puts me on hold and comes back and said she transferred me to the fraud department.... oh.... Kay? The fraud department lady said I needed to provide (again) a copy of my drivers license, sscard and now a letter requesting the SS change. Ok.... I explained to her I did all this when I applied and she says they have to have it again. So I send it, they said it’d be 7-10 days and I’d hear back. Cool.

I get a call back and here’s what I’m told - my info doesn’t match, they’re restricting my account and if I wanted another card I’d have to reapply with the correct info. Mind you, I’ve used this card! I provided my personal info TWICE! If they suspected fraud why didn’t they call me when I applied??? They said my card was reporting to someone else’s bureau and they gave to open an investigation through the credit bureau and it’s just a huge mess. They can’t even tell me the balance on the card or when a payment is due only to keep paying until I receive a check in the mail for an overage???

Has anyone else had a similar issue with capital one like this?? Zero issues whatsoever on my other two accounts. I just don’t get it.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Fraud?

I'm concerned you may have an identity theft situation, when was last time you checked your credit report? You can get all 3 bureau credit report for free once each year.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes banks mess up and issue the same # to more than one person.  If there's an issue why not head to a branch in person and get it sorted out?

I had a similar issue with Sync awhile back where I don't recall exactly what happened but they reissued a new card / # in response to someone else having the same info.  

just try to keep a level head while dealing with the bureaucracy that is banking and it should get resolved with a new card in hand eventually.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I monitor my credit pretty faithfully. My fiancé is a loan consultant so she’s pretty on top of our reports. I guess my issue is when I spoke with them they acted like I did something wrong. If my info didn’t match what I provided why did they issue me the card? I feel like I’m being punished for their mistake I guess. My other two accounts have zero issues what so ever and I’m afraid this will affect them as well. I just don’t know if I need to let it be or if there’s someone else I should contact.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I’m not sure there’s a capital one bank in my area (I’m in KY) - I looked up the branch located on heir website and the closest one I could find is in Kansas? lol
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One is an online bank. They have limited physical locations and even those are limited in the services they offer.
Message 6 of 19
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I monitor my credit pretty faithfully. My fiancé is a loan consultant so she’s pretty on top of our reports. I guess my issue is when I spoke with them they acted like I did something wrong. If my info didn’t match what I provided why did they issue me the card? I feel like I’m being punished for their mistake I guess. My other two accounts have zero issues what so ever and I’m afraid this will affect them as well. I just don’t know if I need to let it be or if there’s someone else I should contact.

*Did* you request a card with the name differing from what you normally use? (Like Bob instead of Robert or something along those lines?)

Have your checked your ARS, LexisNexus, Sagestream, etc? While the 3 major bureaus may have things straight, it's usually one of these oddball CRA's that throws a wrench in the system when things like this occur.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The fraud department lady said I needed to provide (again) a copy of my drivers license, sscard and now a letter requesting the SS change. Ok.... I explained to her I did all this when I applied and she says they have to have it again.

you did not specificially mention that you have deliberately changed your social sec number or why you did it, but that's what it looks like you have done... ?

i can see why doing that would cause this kind of problem.

Message 8 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The fraud department lady said I needed to provide (again) a copy of my drivers license, sscard and now a letter requesting the SS change. Ok.... I explained to her I did all this when I applied and she says they have to have it again.

you did not specificially mention that you have deliberately changed your social sec number or why you did it, but that's what it looks like you have done... ?

i can see why doing that would cause this kind of problem.

I have the same question. OP are there multiple SS numbers associated with your name, or multiple names with the SS number? If so, what is the timeframe for your history of SS numbers changes?

Which are your other two cards? Which banks?

Is there a recent address change?

This is a complicated situation. Sorry to hear about the trouble. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here’s what I’m assuming has happened. When I did my initial application I’ve transposed numbers in my ssn - I believe this because when I did the application I had to provide Capital One with a front/back picture of my drivers license as well as picture of my ss card. Which makes it all the more strange that my information was still wrong. I emailed their public relations department in hopes someone can look into it for me because none of it makes a lot of sense, especially considering I provided proof of identity up front.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.