Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Frustration! - Closing my account

tag
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Capital One Frustration! - Closing my account

I posted before about how they upgraded my Visa Platinum ($49 AF, 3 K limit) to a Green Cash rewards, with no AF. At the time of the upgrade, they said (over the online chat) that because I had just paid the AF, they would refund/credit it back to my account within 2 billing cycles. Well, that was 3 billing cycles ago, and they still have not credited the fee. I spoke to them about it last month, and they gave me the run around, until they pulled up the original chat transcript where I specifically was told that the fee would be refunded. At that time (7/28) they claimed it should show up on my next statement.

So today, after the Aug statement cut, I checked the account, and again, the refuded AF is not on the statement. They are claiming there is nothing they can do, and they don't have the option to waive/credit the fee.

The only reason why I  have to wait to close the account is because I am at work, and this is not a card I carry with me everyday, and I have to call customer service with the whole account number to request to close the account. Will be taking care of this as soon as I get home today.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Frustration! - Closing my account

Have you spoken to the executive office about it? If you talk to them (if you haven't already) they would most likely take care of your problem in a minute. 

I'll PM you the number in case you want to talk to them. They may even give you something extra . 

Message 2 of 11
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Mine is on the chopping block as well for all the "other" Cap 1 reasons.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 3 of 11
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

With the Green Cash card, you have entered "primeville" with them. And the CL can and will grow for you.

While I understand your being upset by the mess up with the AF, I might consider just paying it and moving on... The 50% bonus cash back is a nice reward that the other cards do not have.

JMO - for what that is worth, but if it were me, I would call the Exec Offices and try them. If they do not correct the situation for you, pay it and put it behind you.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 11
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

They gave me such the run around, it just gets exhausting. Kept saying well you have no AF fee, and you just paid the fee 5/2012. Then they change their tune when you tell them you have a copy of the online chat transcript, but claim they can't waive it.

I mean really, do you really have to go through this every month just to get them to do what they say they will do? They probably just hope you will just pay them. I did already pay the fee, but that's not really the point. They made a point of specifically reading me the terms and conditions to tell me that if I paid the fee within 2 months of conversion, it would be credited back. I have it in writing and they still try to scam you and make it sound like you are lying.

I have the Exec Office number, now and will call when I get home. If they don't waive the fee, the card will get cancelled. I probably could do with one less card anyway, LOL.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Message 5 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

In my experiences with calling them, on the Green, if you're pumping more than 6k a year into it, you'll get a little ass kissing from them (and in good english too).

Message 6 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would keep it. A 3k line with Cap1 is pretty good.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

+1000 for the guy that got the More before me. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 11
sgs10
Regular Contributor

+1 3000 on cap one is good one

Message 9 of 11
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

So I called the executive office today. They refunded the AF to me. They are sending my account for review for a CLI. I specifically asked if it would be a hard pull. She stated that they would review the account and if it was necessary for them to actually pull my credit she would personally call me back to verify that I am authorizing the pull before they do it. She said it may take a day or two before they are able to give me an answer on the CLI.

So the card is saved from the shredder (for now), LOL. Thanks js for the Executive Office number.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.