Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One GM BuyPower Card not allowing credit increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One GM BuyPower Card not allowing credit increase

I have been rebuilding credit for over two years. Have a 690 FICO mid right now. No lates or any problems for two years.

I have a Capital One GM BuyPower card that was the second card I got with a limit of $750. So it is now two years and I would like a increase so I can use the card a little and have been denied twice by Capital One even though my other Capital One Mastercard has had three increases.

The letter just says this card is not availble for a increase at this time with no other reason.

I am thinking of paying it off and getting an Amazon Visa instead. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One GM BuyPower Card not allowing credit increase

You wouldn't be the first person....I'm in the same club with scores almost to 800 across the board now and still have my same starting limit from 3 years. This byfar has to be one of the best points cards for earnings for what I want to use it for (upgrade my 2006 Yukon) but getting there using this card has been a real pain in the you know what. I've resulted in allowing Netflix to charge now once a month just to keep it from being dormant.

Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, have you called in and talked to anyone about it yet? There has to be a reason as to why the card cannot have an increase. Has your MasterCard had increases since the time you got this card, or even in this year, or after a denial on the GM card?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You wouldn't be the first person....I'm in the same club with scores almost to 800 across the board now and still have my same starting limit from 3 years. This byfar has to be one of the best points cards for earnings for what I want to use it for (upgrade my 2006 Yukon) but getting there using this card has been a real pain in the you know what. I've resulted in allowing Netflix to charge now once a month just to keep it from being dormant.

Thanks for giving me the answer. I am going to pay it off and close it since I am keeping all my balances below 30% so $750 does not do that much for me. 

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

IIRC, the capability for CLIs was disabled a long time ago for the GM Buypower CCs.

So, until Capital One decides to reintroduce that CLI option, then there's not much that can be done with the card for those who are looking for growth.
Message 5 of 6
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:
IIRC, the capability for CLIs was disabled a long time ago for the GM Buypower CCs.

So, until Capital One decides to reintroduce that CLI option, then there's not much that can be done with the card for those who are looking for growth.

^This.  You'll get the same language on GM BuyPower as well as Cabela's.  Something to the tune of request for increase aren't allowed said account...blah blah blah.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.