cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Graduation (again...I know...)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Graduation (again...I know...)

This is more of a request of advice. A little background before hand... I opened a Secured Platinum with C1, 1K limit, along with another Secured from a local bank (Berkshire) about January/February 2018. I haven't heard back from the local bank yet on graduation, but I have heard stories of people on here either being automatically graduated, calling and getting graduated, or seeing no graduation at all, even after a call, and none of them seem to be at the same time. Personally, I haven't called yet. I have had some heavy use on the card as far as using it over my debit card, some months low, some months high, but I always paid 2-4x the minimum regardless, or paid it off outright. I received the automatic credit line increase at the 5 month mark as well. I paid it off a few months ago, and it has since been doormant. I'd say last activity on it was the payment in full in February. That was around the time C1 mailed me a pre approval on a QS with a 1K limit. Not a QS1, but the QS. For ha-ha's, I went on, punched in the info, and submitted it all the way. Offer approved, and card in hand a week later. I have been primarily putting everything through that card that I can for the rewards, and am almost to my credit line increase on that. I guess what I'd like to know is, does anyone have any idea if C1 would even graduate this card? Any knowledge on timeframes for their graduations? Since i just recently read that was a factor. Im ok with the minor hit I'll take if I have to just close it. I just dont want my 1K being held hostage any more. I can better invest that into something that'll benefit me better than a no frills CC, especially after getting the QS. Thank you in advance for any help, response, or even traffic if you were curious about this as well. 

4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Graduation (again...I know...)

I would close it because you already have the qs. The history will report for up to 10 years.

Message 2 of 5
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I second the closing. It’s been reported for months that CO stopped graduations. Also you can no longer combine limits. 

Message 3 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is more of a request of advice. A little background before hand... I opened a Secured Platinum with C1, 1K limit, along with another Secured from a local bank (Berkshire) about January/February 2018. I haven't heard back from the local bank yet on graduation, but I have heard stories of people on here either being automatically graduated, calling and getting graduated, or seeing no graduation at all, even after a call, and none of them seem to be at the same time. Personally, I haven't called yet. I have had some heavy use on the card as far as using it over my debit card, some months low, some months high, but I always paid 2-4x the minimum regardless, or paid it off outright. I received the automatic credit line increase at the 5 month mark as well. I paid it off a few months ago, and it has since been doormant. I'd say last activity on it was the payment in full in February. That was around the time C1 mailed me a pre approval on a QS with a 1K limit. Not a QS1, but the QS. For ha-ha's, I went on, punched in the info, and submitted it all the way. Offer approved, and card in hand a week later. I have been primarily putting everything through that card that I can for the rewards, and am almost to my credit line increase on that. I guess what I'd like to know is, does anyone have any idea if C1 would even graduate this card? Any knowledge on timeframes for their graduations? Since i just recently read that was a factor. Im ok with the minor hit I'll take if I have to just close it. I just dont want my 1K being held hostage any more. I can better invest that into something that'll benefit me better than a no frills CC, especially after getting the QS. Thank you in advance for any help, response, or even traffic if you were curious about this as well. 

Hi and welcome to the forums 

There should be no "hit" for closing it unless it affects your utilization. Grab your money and put it to better use. 

Message 4 of 5
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Capital One should start calling that card the "Never-Graduate Platinum" or write "WILL NEVER GRADUATE" across the top of it.

Granted, MyFICO and people in general who even know what secured-card graduation is are a small part of the market, but their reversal on graduation added a little dose of confusion to many plans. A secured card that can never graduate seems like a waste of a card slot (and I have two of them).

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.