cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One / HSBC no longer doing credit limit increases?

tag
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One / HSBC no longer doing credit limit increases?

What planet have you been living on? It has been that way for over a year LOL

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 11 of 26
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure how much changed when they took over Orchard, but my Best Buy just got a $1500 CLI last night, so as a company Cap One is certainly granting some CLI requests.

Orchard was SO stingy with CLI, even when I hit 700!

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gentlemen: Careful what you wish for.  HSBC is in the process of diversifying it's credit card services  .Are you familiar with the term "Merchant card".  These are store cards issued through various financial institutions such as HSBC, CITI, CHASE AND OTHERS.  When you apply for a store card, you sign the agreement without knowledge of the issuers terms.  On the surface, credit cards are fantastic.  Now look at the back of the credit card and see who issued it.  That is your real creditor and your signature to an application for Home De[pot, Walmart, Lowes, Sears (only touching on examples) is actually governed by the terms of that agreement.  You may also find the majority of these financial institutions are homed in South Dakota, who has one of the  most industry  oriented consumer protection law in the country, and it is those laws you are agreeing to abide by, not the Consumer Protection Law of the remaining states. 

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lisa, my dear.  Orchard Bank Credit cards and Best Buy credit cards are both issued by HSBC and have been for some time.  The difference in the CL as you put it is only because that is the agreement HSBC has with Best Buy and Orchard Bank is designed for high risk debtors.  High risk being, persons with no credit history or low credit scores or low income.  You didn't change credit cards only credit terms.  The financial industry defines the "high risk" debtor in many different, Two is too is to, all pronounced the same but different meanings.

Message 14 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Lisa, my dear.  Orchard Bank Credit cards and Best Buy credit cards are both issued by HSBC and have been for some time.  The difference in the CL as you put it is only because that is the agreement HSBC has with Best Buy and Orchard Bank is designed for high risk debtors.  High risk being, persons with no credit history or low credit scores or low income.  You didn't change credit cards only credit terms.  The financial industry defines the "high risk" debtor in many different, Two is too is to, all pronounced the same but different meanings.

Actually HSBC sold most of it's US-based credit card portfolio to Capital One; both Orchard and Best Buy were included in that.  

Edit (2): this was announced 8/11 apparently and finalized 5/12.  Didn't realize it was that early Smiley Happy

        
Message 15 of 26
p-
Valued Contributor

I recently got an increase from Capital One's exec team from 3500 to 10k with a soft pull...  They are definitely still doing them.  When I told her I still had an orchard card with an annual fee, she gave my number to the Orchard (Capital One) executive team.

That rep called right away, and was able to removed my annual fee forever on my Orchard card.  She told me they couldn't do product changes or credit increases until the transfer over to capital one was complete.  Until then they were not doing any CLI's at all.  She suggested I wait about 6 months then try to get my card PC'd  to another Capital One Product.

Message 16 of 26
yvaldez29

That is great! They are going to notify me no later than next weekbased on what i requested ( i asked to be bumped to 5000). They did confirm it would be a SP.

Message 17 of 26
yvaldez29

So, I logged in to my capital one accounts today, to my surprise I got bumped to 2500 on one and 2000 on the other.  Not what I originally requested(5000) but who's complaining. Im happy with tht.

Thanks guys!

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you revelate, that is my point exactly.  While persons sign anagreement for a store card, they don't look into the fine print on the back of the agreement.  Many of these "STORE CARDS"  fail to relate the terms of the issuer agreement.  Such as demanding binding arbitration in lieu of court action and denial of jury intervention rather than legal actions provided by the consumer protection laws of each persons individual state.  Many Law Firms are purchasing delinquent accounts and claiming to represent the issuer even though the LAW FIRM is still a debt collector governed by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).  In other words, even though an individual thinks he is increasing his (her) CLI they may only be changing the terms of the agreement by going from HSBC to Capitol One.  Upon signing any credit card agreement you are also agreeing to the terms of the issuer which is not printed on the application .  Additionally, First Niagra Bank of Buffalo N.Y., has purchased New England branches of HSBC,

Message 19 of 26
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

I know for my Helzberg account I asked for a bump from $2000 to $2800...they came back with $3600. Was a soft pull as well. The backdoor # was awesome. Thats with a 660 FICO too

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.