Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One / MasterCard Question

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One / MasterCard Question

@wacdenney wrote:

It looks like Crapital One has been quoted telling people that Quciksilver One is only available as a MC but Quicksilver can come on either processing network.  So I guess the AF is the key.

Crazy Capital one the only card company where the lower tier card carries an AF instead of the higher tier and with no additional benefits to go along with it.  I guess it's a sub-prime style fee rather than what you would normally think of as being associated with an AF from a normal lender.

In either case even with AF. You earn much more than that. I think I earned my AF first month. No more than 2 months  The rest was clean cash back. Makes it even better now no AF. Too bad. That I use many others now. I know they want to be top dog. But it's only so many pieces to the spend pie. 

Message 11 of 40
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

It looks like Crapital One has been quoted telling people that Quciksilver One is only available as a MC but Quicksilver can come on either processing network.  So I guess the AF is the key.

Crazy Capital one the only card company where the lower tier card carries an AF instead of the higher tier and with no additional benefits to go along with it.  I guess it's a sub-prime style fee rather than what you would normally think of as being associated with an AF from a normal lender.

In either case even with AF. You earn much more than that. I think I earned my AF first month. No more than 2 months  The rest was clean cash back. Makes it even better now no AF. Too bad. That I use many others now. I know they want to be top dog. But it's only so many pieces to the spend pie. 

I agree that you would definately want the no AF version in the case of Cap1.  If you're going to commit to putting up with Cap1, at least get your full 1.5%.  It's impossible to ever actually get 1.5% on the QS1 due to the AF.  Unless of course you are willing to put in the time and effort year after year to beg their EO to have it waived for another year.

Message 12 of 40
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for the replies! Smiley Happy

Yes, I was looking to apply for one, and was just curious. I am contemplating closing my current capital one card, It has an AF anf a 25% interest rate, Ive talked to person after person after person. They always give me a cli, but no one can seem to lower the apr or remove/lower the AF. So I am contemplating just starting over with the "excellent credit" version of Quicksilver on their website.

Unless you all have any other recomendations??

AAOA 1.6 Years, oldest account 2.3 years

Inquiries: 7

Util: 9%

TU Fico08: 748 Credit Karma TU: 750

Cap One  $4,250

Freedom $3,000

Discover $1,000

BoA - $3,000

ONLY reason I keep using/want to retain the cap one is 1.5% cashback for everything that dosent fall into the 5% on the other two cards, or onto bank of americas "gas" category. At the end of the year, 50% more cashback makes a difference to me Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 40
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

I think you should try asking their live chat if there is an upgrade available for your current Capital One card to the Quicksilver. I was able to get my Journey changed to the Quicksilver in less than 10 minutes through live chat. If all else fails try giving their Facebook or EO a try.

Message 14 of 40
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@creditconcept wrote:

Yes, I was looking to apply for one, and was just curious. I am contemplating closing my current capital one card, It has an AF anf a 25% interest rate, Ive talked to person after person after person. They always give me a cli, but no one can seem to lower the apr or remove/lower the AF. So I am contemplating just starting over with the "excellent credit" version of Quicksilver on their website.

Cap One  $4,250

Freedom $3,000

Discover $1,000

BoA - $3,000

ONLY reason I keep using/want to retain the cap one is 1.5% cashback for everything that dosent fall into the 5% on the other two cards, or onto bank of americas "gas" category. At the end of the year, 50% more cashback makes a difference to me Smiley Happy

Have you tried asking if they'll convert it to a quicksilver? Don't ask them about an upgrade, just go into a chat session and ask if you have an offer to "add rewards" to your account, that is what their script calls it. If so, they'll ask if you want "miles or cash back" 

If this doesn't work try sending them a message through facebook, and asking if it would be possible to convert to a quicksilver card (or to remove the annual fee) 

I have a quicksilver mastercard with no AF, $6,500 limit. It is either world or world elite, I'm not sure yet. I asked to be upgraded to world elite and the facebook people told me I have a "new surprise" coming in the mail because they can't discuss account specifics through facebook chat. I noticed online my account now says "mastercard world" 

Message 15 of 40
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@creditconcept wrote:

Cap One  $4,250

Freedom $3,000

Discover $1,000

BoA - $3,000

I had 2 QS1 cards and tried for three years to get the AFs removed.  I never asked about the APRs, I don't even know what they were as QS isn't a balance carrying type card.  After three years of asking and singing and dancing for the EO to have the fee waived every year and being lied to and told it was impossible to remove, I closed both cards.  Literally a couple of months later I recieved a pre-approval in the mail for a QS Visa with no AF.

In my case closing them was the only option I had left with them and the only thing that worked.  For other people they remove the AF no problem so who knows...

Fidelity AMEX or Citi DC either one is a better option if you are simply looking for a general "everything else" type of card.

Message 16 of 40
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@creditconcept wrote:

Cap One  $4,250

Freedom $3,000

Discover $1,000

BoA - $3,000

You may not get a lower APR with a new card, I got their credit steps platinum card in early 2011 at a 19.9% APR when I was in rebuild mode I closed it out earlier this year when they refused to remove the annual fee. My credit now is in the excellent category with high Ficos, I apped for the Sony card last week just to get the bonus and the extra credit for util purposes it was approved instantly with a 5K CL and the same 19.9 int rate I had with the rebuilder and that was with a 757 EQ Beacon 5.0 score..

Message 17 of 40
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@kdong1996 wrote:
Quicksilver One is Master Card. Quicksilver is Visa.

Not always my Mastercard is a Quicksilver with no annual fee. It was product changed from a Mastercard Platinum no annual fee. I have never paid an annual fee since getting the card with a $300 CL.

Does your Mastercard say "one" on it under "Quicksilver"?

I always assumed the "one" descriptor was relative to the MC processing network.  I don't think whether or not your card agreement contains an AF has anything to do with it.  Obviously there are many many Quicksilver One cards with no AF attached, but I've never seen a Quicksilver One Visa or a Quicksilver MC.

Quicksilver only. Quicksilver one has an annual fee. The suggestion to product change from Quicksilver one to Quicksilver no annual fee has worked for many and in my opinion Is worth a shot through chat.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 18 of 40
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

I will try a product change to the not AF quicksilver throught chat, then work on an apr reduction in a few months. Thanks guys!

Message 19 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

My non AF QS is a WMC.
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.