Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Needs More Information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Needs More Information

My younger niece that's 18 just applied for her first credit card with Capital One she called to check to status an she was told they need her to send a copy of her ID an social security card. Is this a good  sign will they approve her after they verify it's really her?

I also wish she would have told me she was trying to apply for her first credit card cause I would have not told her to her to apply with Capital One.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Needs More Information

Generally when they want to verify identity, they have already determined that you are approved.  Im with you though, I would not send the info.. I would look for a better card for someone with limited credit history, or a school card if applicitable.  Maybe check your local CU's too.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Generally when they want to verify identity, they have already determined that you are approved. 

Yeah that's what I thought this being her first card she's just determined to get it so she's gonna fax them her information tomorrow wish her luck lol.

Message 3 of 14
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Why would you not send the requested info? You would let a young person with no TL's take three hard INQ's with nothing to show for it? If you do that the next creditor she app's is certain to see it and will think she was declined. Never take a hard INQ without something to show for it!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I thought of that right after I posted, but he said she is going to fax the info so I didnt bother editing or posting again.

Message 5 of 14
arjames01
Contributor

Good! Hopefully she gets one! My first credit card (2 years ago) was my Macy's credit card that I got when I first started working there! Its a good idea to get us younger people started on managing credit responsibly at a young age!

11/2013- EX 690, EQ 763, TU 694
01/2015- EX 781, EQ 775, TU 777

Chase Freedom $7500, AMEX BCE $6000
Message 6 of 14
Equinox
New Contributor

I'm guessing if they need more information like that it's probably because she got approved and they need to verify her identity. I have two Capital One credit cards and they never requested more information like that though. Capital One gave me my first card at 18, with just a measly 300 dollar limit, assuming she gets it she'll probably get the credit steps as well, bumping her to 500 in three statements. That's what I went through. I'm 21 now with an Amex Blue Cash and BofA Amex with nice credit lines. Just make sure she stays on top of her statements and she'll be well on her way.

arjames01 -- Funny you got the macy's store card at 18, I got denied for reasons I don't remember, but I was a sad panda. Everyone else seems to use that as a starter card.
Message 7 of 14
arjames01
Contributor

I only got it because I work there. I had 0 credit, hadn't started college til a month later and that was my first job.

ETA: Also don't feel bad we get quite  a few denials! I heard the bank they use is rough? Not sure how true that is though!  

Message Edited by arjames01 on 12-22-2008 09:45 AM

11/2013- EX 690, EQ 763, TU 694
01/2015- EX 781, EQ 775, TU 777

Chase Freedom $7500, AMEX BCE $6000
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arjames01 wrote:
Good! Hopefully she gets one! My first credit card (2 years ago) was my Macy's credit card that I got when I first started working there! Its a good idea to get us younger people started on managing credit responsibly at a young age!

I was reaching for high numbers at 20 as well, high credit card debt! Now I'm just reaching for high FICO numbers and low credit card debt!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I hope she get's the card she's gonna fax the info tomorrow. She most likely wont get an answer from them until next week with it being the holiday this week. She's really frantic I told credit her cards are not free money you have to use them wisely.
Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 12-22-2008 12:32 PM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.