Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One PC 101

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One PC 101

@Anonymous wrote:

I am at the point I am ready to give up on a PC for my platinum card. I have had the card over a year with limit going from 1k to 5.5k which is great dont get me wrong. The funny thing is after getting frustrated in Feb. with no PC or CLI's I check the pre qualification site, applied, and was approved for a 10k QS visa sig card. I think once my QS gets past 6 months I am combine the two and just end up with a QS card with a target limit of 20k.

Excellent strategy!

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am at the point I am ready to give up on a PC for my platinum card. I have had the card over a year with limit going from 1k to 5.5k which is great dont get me wrong. The funny thing is after getting frustrated in Feb. with no PC or CLI's I check the pre qualification site, applied, and was approved for a 10k QS visa sig card. I think once my QS gets past 6 months I am combine the two and just end up with a QS card with a target limit of 20k.

The PCs with Capital One seem to be YMMV with no rhyme or reason on how they decide who gets one and who doesn't.  Some people get one merely weeks after approval; my own card was 8+ years old before they finally told me there was an "offer".

If it were me, I would continue to check with them monthly via chat; then by the time your AF comes around if they still haven't given you a PC I would do as you mention and roll the CL into your Quicksilver.

Either way you'll end up in good shape... good luck!

+1

Message 12 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I had posted in another thread about how I was able to PC from a Platinum Visa -> Quicksilver One (Visa) -> Quicksilver (Visa Signature, drop MMF).

Basically I had my platinum card for about 7-8 years and used it as my everyday card, payed it off on time, never had a missed payment with it, but had a $5 monthly maintenance fee on it (not sure if that was because of my limited credit history or what). Then a few years ago I had an upgrade offer to the quicksilver one (still a Visa, not a mastercard as it is regularly advertised), MMF still carried over into the new card. 

Used the quicksilver one religiously for the last few years, and decided a few weeks ago to try and upgrade it to the quicksilver visa signature through a PC, to affectifvely get rid of the MMF and get the new perks. I tried via online chat and phone calls to no avail. Then did some research on these forums, and got a hold of the EO contact info, and sent an email explaining my situation and what I was looking to achieve. That email was sent this past Thursday.  

I got a call yesterday morning from the EO and they had said they saw the email and wanted to take care of the situation, since I expressed how loyal I had been to capital one, and my history with them, and they went ahead and processed my PC to a Quicksilver card Visa Signature, and dropped the MMF, they also re-imbursed me for the previous year's worth of MMF ($60) in total which I had thought was amazing of them. 

So to sum it up, it seems like they'll do it if you have a good standing history with your account, otherwise it is a crapshoot. In any case, Capital One is top notch in my book.

I had the same card with the same $5 monthly fee. I closed mine right before they started allowing people to combine cards. I was not able to get the monthly fee. It probably had something to do with me refusing to use the card. I'm glad it worked in your favor.Smiley Happy 

Message 13 of 44
Poppa
Established Contributor

Thank yall very much for any and all information. 

Are there any initial differences between the QS Visa and Mastercard ?

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 14 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only difference is the annual fee on the MasterCard; rewards are the same
Message 15 of 44
Poppa
Established Contributor

Oh I thought there was a QS MC that was different than the QS1 MC

Message 16 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Poppa wrote:

Thank yall very much for any and all information. 

Are there any initial differences between the QS Visa and Mastercard ?

You're likely to get various opinions on this, but in my own opinion they are the basically the same.  Smiley Happy

The obvious difference is that you can only apply for the Quicksilver Visa, to get the Quicksilver MasterCard you have to PC from another MasterCard product.  The rewards are identical, and the APR remains the same after a PC, so if you PC from a high-APR card you keep that same APR even after the card is changed to a Quicksilver (in my own case the APR was actually lower, and it stayed the same as well).

For what it's worth, the only other difference I've noticed is that I get different balance transfer offers on each of my Quicksilver Cards.  The Quicksilver Visa Signature has a 'standing' offer for a 0% APR balance transfer for a 3% fee, while my Quicksilver MasterCard has a 'standing' offer for a balance transfer for no fee, but at my purchase rate.  I'm not sure if the difference is because my Visa is a Signature level card and my MasterCard is only 'platinum' level, or if it's a hold-over from my Quicksilver MasterCard's 'humble' beginnings - perhaps if my QS MasterCard ever gets upgraded to a 'World' MasterCard the offers will be the same?  Ironically, for short-term BTs, the MasterCard no-fee offer tends to be more useful.

I hope this helps!  Smiley Wink

Side note:  Some people say their QS Visa cards get more generous CLIs than their QS MasterCards, but in my experience they have been the same.  YMMV.

Message 17 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Poppa wrote:

Oh I thought there was a QS MC that was different than the QS1 MC

There is... I have one.  Smiley Wink

You just can't apply directly, you have to PC another card to it.

Message 18 of 44
Poppa
Established Contributor

Can a Platinum MC only be PCed into a QS MC when it has a 3K limit? 

Message 19 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Poppa wrote:

Can a Platinum MC only be PCed into a QS MC when it has a 3K limit? 

Some people have suggested that, but I do recall at least a few PCs where the card holder reported having a CL less than $3k, so it seems that as with many things related to credit (and Capital One in particular) YMMV.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.