Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One PC Denied. Boo hiss.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One PC Denied. Boo hiss.

I got my CO Platinum about 45 days ago.  I didn't think to apply for the QS1, even though I'm pre-qualified, because my credit self-esteem was in the toilet after a bout of unemployment and charge-offs.  Anyhoo, $1,000 limit, so really REALLY good for the Platinum.  I realized, also, that I would already have gotten $25 cash back had I chosen the QS1.  I knew it was a long-shot, since the account is so new, but why not?  So I checked the upgrade link.  Nothin'.  Chatted up the rep and got this canned verbiage:

Unfortunately, we aren't able to upgrade every account to any Capital One product we offer.  We're constantly making new options available, so you can always check back in a few weeks to see if new offers are available.

**bleep** does that mean?  If the above means I will NEVER be able to upgrade that card, or that it will take a year or more to MAYBE do so, it's going in the sock drawer as soon as I get something better.  

15 REPLIES 15
Hex
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One PC Denied. Boo hiss.

It’s a good thing they didn’t let you “upgrade” to the QS1 because it has an annual fee that will end up costing you more than the sign up bounus (if you plan to keep the card more than a year). You want to upgrade to the regular QS. Keep checking and they will eventually let you upgrade.
Message 2 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If there's one thing about Capital One, they are generally not known for quick results on things like this. At the minimum you will probably have to use the account as is for 6+ months before they will change anything (CLI, PC, etc).

It's only been 45 days, not even two statements. Just give it some time.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hex wrote:
It’s a good thing they didn’t let you “upgrade” to the QS1 because it has an annual fee that will end up costing you more than the sign up bounus (if you plan to keep the card more than a year). You want to upgrade to the regular QS. Keep checking and they will eventually let you upgrade.
Agreed, I would take the Platinum over QS1 every time, give it a few more months and you should see the path to QS. With QS1 you would be stuck paying that AF for a long time to come with no PC path, arguably the worst card in CapOne lineup.
Message 4 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Slow down grasshopper. Got to let things age and show Cap1 some responsible use. Then hit the PC Upgrade link. Stay far away from as I call it the brick QS1. You'll get the QS in time.

Message 5 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

If there's one thing about Capital One, they are generally not known for quick results on things like this. At the minimum you will probably have to use the account as is for 6+ months before they will change anything (CLI, PC, etc).

It's only been 45 days, not even two statements. Just give it some time.

Not true. I upgraded my platinum to a normal quicksilver in 3 or 4 months. Cap1 bases their decisions off of 3 months history.

Message 6 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Hex wrote:
Agreed, I would take the Platinum over QS1 every time, give it a few more months and you should see the path to QS. With QS1 you would be stuck paying that AF for a long time to come with no PC path, arguably the worst card in CapOne lineup.

I hate my QS1. Only reason I haven't combined it is I got the AF waived, so 1 more year of history before getting rid of it.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you got the card 45 days ago, it would take awhile for them to upgrade you to another card. Now you gotta show build a relationship with Capital One and let your account age a little, then try again. I'd personally wait like 6 months because you JUST opened an account with them but you can try whenever, I guess. Good luck tho.

Message 8 of 16
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

My wife PC'd her platinum to QS after about 4 months. You are wise for not getting yourself into at annual fee bucket in the beginning.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boo Hiss Indeed.
I have had a QS since.... oh... let's see.... 2013.

Plenty of use and history.

I attempted today to PC it to a Savor One. 

No dice. 

But, guess what? I can change it into a Venture. Um, hello, I already have a Venture card? 

Try again in a few months. 

Capital One annoys me.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.