cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One: PC & Then Re-Apply for Higher Limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One: PC & Then Re-Apply for Higher Limit?

So, I got a Journey card back in July 2017. It was my first unsecured card and I was approved at $300. It auto-increased at the 5-month mark (December) to $500. I then upgraded it to a QS and the limit stayed the same--that was a couple weeks ago. I'm not eligible for an increase until May (6 months). 

Today, I decided to apply for another Journey card. I got approved instantly at...$300 (same as last time). My plan is to use it for 5-months, hope for an auto-increase to $500 again and then, if possible, combine this Journey with my new QS for a $1,000 limit.

Possible? Good idea? Advice? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One: PC & Then Re-Apply for Higher Limit?

Question: why did you apply for the same card? 

Were you not eligible for QS1 or QS? You possible could have received a higher limit. If you app for another Cap1 card in 6 months, don’t app for the journey. 

Yes, your idea is possible and has been done. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait on combining until you can get an increase on the QS. That's at least 6 months from now so the steps increase will be on your new card. Also, tap the love button in month four, maybe you can snatch an extra 100-150. With luck you can combine for closer to 2K than 1K.

If you decide to try another Cap1 card at that point check for prequal on the no fee QS. If not available get the Platinum Preferred. Even though it looks and spends like the regular plat (no rewards), many are being opened in a higher tiered ABS (bucket) and have room for far more future growth than the standard, rebuilder Plat.
Message 3 of 4
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

I wish you had asked this question before apping. Not trying to scold you but no we’re on similar pathways. I apped and approved Cap One Platinum in February 2017. I was frustrated with credit steps and apped and approved for a QS1 at the 6 month mark. Next day I was able to PC to QS with same terms. I was able to get a $100 CLI on QS approximately 5 month mark. It has graduated steps and received better than the promised step limit. QS1 was increased at the 3 month mark and still on steps. I’m hoping once it graduates steps (assuming it will happen in 2 months), I’ll be able to combine the cards together for a bigger limit. Rule with Cap One is both cards must be 6 months old, one with no balance so you can combine. You can also get a new card with them every 6 months. Hope this helps you.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.