Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum Questions

tag
xcv
Valued Member

Capital One Platinum Questions

I opened a Capital One Platinum card that I opened almost 3 years ago, and it's the oldest open credit card on my CR. It only has a $300 credit limit so it's pretty limited. I opened a Capital One Quicksilver card ~5 months ago with a higher CL. I didn't know that it was possible to change/upgrade credit cards before the fact, or else I would've tried that first.

The Platinum card is pretty useless to me however, but I don't know if I particularly want to keep holding onto it. Do I have any options of changing it / etc without ruining my average age of credit? I just got a Discover card fairly recently as well so I don't think another hard inquiry is on the table for me.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
draychi
Valued Member

Re: Capital One Platinum Questions

How old is the Cap1 Platinum? Ask for a CLI online... you should get a one-time increase easy due to the age. I opened one a few months ago with a $500 SL and got an increase to $600 in 2-3 months.

Not sure how many cards you have open, but if these Cap1's are the only cards you have, don't close them.

There is no reason to close any card that doesn't have an AF or isn't contributing to your score and utilization.

Rebuild start: Late 2020 (Low 500's).
- Settled & Removed 9 collections
- 680-700 (03/2022)
- 5.5 year old Chase repo I need to settle

PenFed Power Cash $3.5k | Amex Plat NPSL | Discover IT $2k | Citi $200 | WF Active Cash $300 | FirstPremier $1200 | FirstNational, FirstSavings $850 each | Cap1 Plat $700 | Avant $300 | Surge $1k | Kohls $300 | CreditOne $600 & $1.2k | Jasper MC $1k | Petal1 $500 | OppFi $1k | Prosper $500 | MissionLane $500
Message 2 of 16
xcv
Valued Member

@draychi So here's the bad thing, in 2019 I was kind of irresponsible with it and had 2 30 day lates, 1 60 and 1 90 (which I plan on trying to get GW away). In 2020 I had 1 30 day late in May of 2020. In the 14 months since then though I've been on time with everything.

I did request a CLI in March 2021, but it was rejected saying the account was recently past due, recent monthly payments have been too low (I've PIF every month most of the time at least), and balance on revolving accounts is too high.

I think I could try again in a couple of weeks though as my statement drops at the start of September and paying in full should clear any flags up.

Message 3 of 16
draychi
Valued Member

Those lates will eat you up.

That 'May of 2020' late payment, contact them and ask for a COVID-19 hardship pass. Not sure what your work situation is, but 2020 lates are the most forgiving if you mention the Covid bs. I've seen this work for people the last 1.5 years in certain situations.

Some other advise... keep your checking account full ($500+) and setup automatic payments on ALL your cards to pay the monthly min. This way, you won't miss a payment. If you have a savings account, use that as an overdraft backup... win/win.

Aside from a BK or CO, multiple late payments within 2 years will mess you up if you don't have the on-time payments to saturate them.

I wouldn't worry about a CLI right now... I'd get those late payments off if you can.

- 680-700 (03/2022)

PenFed Power Cash $3.5k | Amex Plat NPSL | Discover IT $2k | Citi $200 | WF Active Cash $300 | FirstPremier $1200 | FirstNational, FirstSavings $850 each | Cap1 Plat $700 | Avant $300 | Surge $1k | Kohls $300 | CreditOne $600 & $1.2k | Jasper MC $1k | Petal1 $500 | OppFi $1k | Prosper $500 | MissionLane $500
Message 4 of 16
draychi
Valued Member

Keep the Cap1 Plat open, along with the second Cap1.

Keep the Discover open.

It sounds like you have a thin file... don't close these cards, just fix them.

- 680-700 (03/2022)

Message 5 of 16
xcv
Valued Member

I was going to try that for 2020, but what about the 2019s? I feel like I could goodwill all of those away since they were grouped closely together (and based off seeing people's recent CapOne GW threads). I think I'd have a hard time doing it across multiple years though. Unless I can just goodwill the 2019s first and then a month later goodwill the single 2020 one?

I already created a second savings account to autopay all of my expenses from luckily. haha.

Message 6 of 16
xcv
Valued Member

Gotcha. I also had an auto loan open, funny enough with capital one, who approved me for up to $100k @ ~4%. I opened one and ended up having it all paid off this month within 5 months of opening it so I'm anticipating a score drop. Didn't have any late payments on that one though.

Message 7 of 16
draychi
Valued Member

Is the 2019 account caught up? Just have the lates? If so, that's all GW and luck.

I mentioned the 2020 Covid hardship because most lenders were offering relief of some sort during 2020, especially with the government pressure.

The auto loan... I'm not sure the outcome as I don't know your whole credit profile. The positive is it's a paid off car loan with montly payments added to your credit. AAoC isn't as important as people make it seem unless your total history is under 1-2 years.

- 680-700 (03/2022)

Message 8 of 16
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@xcv wrote:

I was going to try that for 2020, but what about the 2019s? I feel like I could goodwill all of those away since they were grouped closely together (and based off seeing people's recent CapOne GW threads). I think I'd have a hard time doing it across multiple years though. Unless I can just goodwill the 2019s first and then a month later goodwill the single 2020 one?

I already created a second savings account to autopay all of my expenses from luckily. haha.

The spreadsheet method has always worked for me to keep track of all of my cards and due dates, i have been using a spreadsheet for decades and never missed a payment on any card for 20 years before my bk and since. i just use a grid on paper and write the info for each card in and put the amt and date when i paid and then a check mark next to that line. when that month is over i slide that sheet into a protective sleeve and keep it in a loose leaf binder and then make out a new sheet for the next month.. it works excellent like clock work. i know some people do the spreadsheet on their pc but i am from the old school.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 16
Gollum
Established Contributor

@xcv wrote:

I opened a Capital One Platinum card that I opened almost 3 years ago, and it's the oldest open credit card on my CR. It only has a $300 credit limit so it's pretty limited. I opened a Capital One Quicksilver card ~5 months ago with a higher CL. I didn't know that it was possible to change/upgrade credit cards before the fact, or else I would've tried that first.

The Platinum card is pretty useless to me however, but I don't know if I particularly want to keep holding onto it. Do I have any options of changing it / etc without ruining my average age of credit? I just got a Discover card fairly recently as well so I don't think another hard inquiry is on the table for me.

Close the $300 credit limit credit card. Your credit history is really new, so that card's three years won't make much difference in the long run, and you'll be happy to be rid of it.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.