Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum Questions

tag
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum Questions

@xcv 

It sounds like this Capital One Platinum (which, for full disclosure, I recently applied for and was approved - $3,000 SL) is bucketed.

Essentially, that means that this card with the $300 limit is not likely to ever change significantly.  Additionally, it seems like - since this card is "bucketed" - that Capital One will essentially forever see the credit report | credit score on the day that you applied for this card (so, some three years ago for you).

Whether you keep this card or not....is your call.  Some have said "keep it" and others have said "get rid of it".

For me, the points that I would consider (and my consideration might differ from yours as we very likely have different credit profiles and different goals.....):

1.  Is there an AF (annual fee)?  If yes, then I would lean towards not keeping it (but would consider other factors).  If no, then leaning towards keeping it.

2.  Is this your oldest credit card?  If yes, then I would lean towards keeping it *BUT* I would have to look at the other credit cards.  If it is the oldest card by one month or so, well....not likely a big deal.  But if it is the oldest card by 2.5 years, then possibly a big deal (and I would lean on keeping it).

3.  Does it offer any rewards | cash back | whatever?  It is the Platinum, so no rewards, no cash back, no nothing, right?  It does, however, provide you with credit.  That - three years ago - was a big deal, I bet.  Today? Sounds like not so much!

4.  How many other credit cards do you have?  Sounds like two - Discover and Capital One QuickSilver.  Do these two cards fit your needs?  Do you have enough "credit limit" between the two to do what you need to do?  Hey, a CC with a $300 CL might be more helpful than one thinks.  Sure, not likely, but.....

5.  How important is "loyalty" to you?  Totally your call here.

So, I submit to you that you consider the above five 'thoughts' and come up with something that fits your credit profile and current | future needs.

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@xcv wrote:

@draychi So here's the bad thing, in 2019 I was kind of irresponsible with it and had 2 30 day lates, 1 60 and 1 90 (which I plan on trying to get GW away). In 2020 I had 1 30 day late in May of 2020. In the 14 months since then though I've been on time with everything.

I did request a CLI in March 2021, but it was rejected saying the account was recently past due, recent monthly payments have been too low (I've PIF every month most of the time at least), and balance on revolving accounts is too high.

I think I could try again in a couple of weeks though as my statement drops at the start of September and paying in full should clear any flags up.

The card is doing more good for you than you think. As you posted its your oldest. Even closing it the lates will still ding you. You can have 500 on time payments but a late wipes out all the good. Place a streaming service on it and sock drawer it. Once you get better cards down the road. Then maybe shut the door. That 90 day late is going to haunt you for a while. All of us had to get cards to start the building that we didnt like. As the Stones sang. You cant always get what you want. One lates is tough to get Cap1 to GW. But a couple spread out lates is even tougher. Just move forward and keep on rebuilding and in time things will pass. Time flies and eventually you'll get where you want to be. I had to endure Cap's starter bucket cards. As better things came thru. Then I laid them all to rest. Keep it open till then.

Message 12 of 16
xcv
Valued Member

@draychi wrote:

The auto loan... I'm not sure the outcome as I don't know your whole credit profile. The positive is it's a paid off car loan with montly payments added to your credit. AAoC isn't as important as people make it seem unless your total history is under 1-2 years.

This would be the second auto loan on my credit report, the last being closed and paid off in 2016 with no lates.

Message 13 of 16
xcv
Valued Member

@Gollum wrote:

Close the $300 credit limit credit card. Your credit history is really new, so that card's three years won't make much difference in the long run, and you'll be happy to be rid of it.

I definitely think I'd be happy to get rid of it since it serves no use as it has no rewards or anything. It is my oldest card (2 years 9 months) by far though, with my second card being only 4 months old. I wouldn't be against canceling it after I move into a new place and get a better card than the QS/Discover Cash Back ones though.

Message 14 of 16
xcv
Valued Member

@HowDoesThisAllWork wrote:

@xcv 

For me, the points that I would consider (and my consideration might differ from yours as we very likely have different credit profiles and different goals.....):

1.  Is there an AF (annual fee)?  If yes, then I would lean towards not keeping it (but would consider other factors).  If no, then leaning towards keeping it.

2.  Is this your oldest credit card?  If yes, then I would lean towards keeping it *BUT* I would have to look at the other credit cards.  If it is the oldest card by one month or so, well....not likely a big deal.  But if it is the oldest card by 2.5 years, then possibly a big deal (and I would lean on keeping it).

3.  Does it offer any rewards | cash back | whatever?  It is the Platinum, so no rewards, no cash back, no nothing, right?  It does, however, provide you with credit.  That - three years ago - was a big deal, I bet.  Today? Sounds like not so much!

4.  How many other credit cards do you have?  Sounds like two - Discover and Capital One QuickSilver.  Do these two cards fit your needs?  Do you have enough "credit limit" between the two to do what you need to do?  Hey, a CC with a $300 CL might be more helpful than one thinks.  Sure, not likely, but.....

5.  How important is "loyalty" to you?  Totally your call here.

So, I submit to you that you consider the above five 'thoughts' and come up with something that fits your credit profile and current | future needs.

I think the biggest deal is that it's my oldest card by far. It offers no benefits though. Between the Discover and Quicksilver it'll get zero use. I'll likely end up keeping it for the next year or so then.

@FireMedic1 wrote:

The card is doing more good for you than you think. As you posted its your oldest. Even closing it the lates will still ding you. You can have 500 on time payments but a late wipes out all the good. Place a streaming service on it and sock drawer it. Once you get better cards down the road. Then maybe shut the door. That 90 day late is going to haunt you for a while. All of us had to get cards to start the building that we didnt like. As the Stones sang. You cant always get what you want. One lates is tough to get Cap1 to GW. But a couple spread out lates is even tougher. Just move forward and keep on rebuilding and in time things will pass. Time flies and eventually you'll get where you want to be. I had to endure Cap's starter bucket cards. As better things came thru. Then I laid them all to rest. Keep it open till then.

True yeah. That's currently what I'm doing for the Platinum card, I don't really use it for spending, just as a payment method for recurring services.

Message 15 of 16
Gollum
Established Contributor

@xcv wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

Close the $300 credit limit credit card. Your credit history is really new, so that card's three years won't make much difference in the long run, and you'll be happy to be rid of it.

I definitely think I'd be happy to get rid of it since it serves no use as it has no rewards or anything. It is my oldest card (2 years 9 months) by far though, with my second card being only 4 months old. I wouldn't be against canceling it after I move into a new place and get a better card than the QS/Discover Cash Back ones though.

A difference of two and a half years for your oldest credit card is insignificant in the long run.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.