cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum Secured Card - GRADUATED

Established Member

Capital One Platinum Secured Card - GRADUATED

Posted a few weeks back about getting an AMEX Green Card approval after two years of gardening with some secured cards and a Credit One Card. 

My 8th statement just cut on my Capital One Secured Card, I had to give a $100 Deposit for a $200 Credit Limit initially. I have been using that card quite a bit and immediately paying it off, carried a balance of $35 twice. 

Low and behold, I simply check the App today just to see the statement and I see a $500 Credit Available and a $100 deposit refund pending to my account. No official email or anytthing for Capital One yet, I think it just happened. 

So in the past month for me, AMEX Green Approval after some steady gardening and now a nice credit limit increase.

Onward and upward as they say! Smiley Tongue

January of 2016: Credit Karma Vantage 404
May of 2018: EX: 649 EQ: 631: TU: 620

AMEX GREEN - CAP ONE PLATINUM $500 SL - CAP ONE QS1 $300 SL - CREDIT ONE $300 SL - DISCOVER IT SECURED $200 - OPEN SKY SECURED $500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum Secured Card - GRADUATED

Congratulations! 

Gardening until June 2019

Starting FICOs: EX 623, EQ 589, TU 600 (06/10/17)
Current FICOs: EX 697, EQ 683, TU 700 (06/18/18)
1st Goal FICOs: EX 750, EQ 750, TU 750 (??/??/??)
Message 2 of 8
Established Contributor

Congrats. That is awesome. 

Fell of the wagon -- Gardening starting again 2/25/18- ???
Message 3 of 8
Contributor

Congrats. My first one graduated fairly quickly. My second one hates me.

Currently rebuilding:
FICO 8 scores
1/18 - TU 562 EX 560 EQ 558
6/18 - TU 657 EX 719 EQ 681
Message 4 of 8
Established Member

Congrats - I remember when I had my card they definitely grow with you just gotta remember to hit the button every 6 months or so!
Gardening -6/18
Goal-Fico-800
Message 5 of 8
Super Contributor

@creditseeker22Congrats - I remember when I had my card they definitely grow with you just gotta remember to hit the button every 6 months or so!

Can you describe in more detail the growth you speak of?

I know with unsecured cards, if Capital One starts you out with a "starter account" with say a $500 SL, the chances of it growing even if your profile improves immensely is very small.  Some people are able to take these cards to $1500-$2000 limits after a couple of years, but usually reach a plateau around there.

I'm curious if that's also the case with secured cards that eventually graduate.  I would think they'd follow the same sort of pattern, but perhaps you experienced something different?

Message 6 of 8
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations! Onward and upward indeed! Cheers!

Fico Scores as of May 2018: TU:754 EQ: 744 EX: 762
Fico Goals: TU: 770 by 12-2018 EQ: 750 by 12-2018 EX: 780+ by 12-2018

Message 7 of 8
Established Member

@creditseeker22 wrote:
Congrats - I remember when I had my card they definitely grow with you just gotta remember to hit the button every 6 months or so!

I'm glad you made this comment......I was wondering what I should be doing next? I will obviously ride the Platinum $500 unsecured for a while, considering it just got out secured mode. Do they increase the Platinum limits beyond $500? 

I use this card a lot because it's a MasterCard and in my neighborhood in the city I live in, none of my corner stores take AMEX, so if I'm swiping this card, after a while I'd like to get a little bit of a benefit with a QS1 or a QS. 

I was thinking about waiting another 6 months and then maybe pitching for an upgrade or a CL increase. I know the button is there in the app. 

January of 2016: Credit Karma Vantage 404
May of 2018: EX: 649 EQ: 631: TU: 620

AMEX GREEN - CAP ONE PLATINUM $500 SL - CAP ONE QS1 $300 SL - CREDIT ONE $300 SL - DISCOVER IT SECURED $200 - OPEN SKY SECURED $500
Message 8 of 8