Not applicable

Capital One Prestige credit card

anyone got this card recently ?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Prestige credit card

I applied for a similar card (same category as prestige requiring "Excellent" credit).

Capital One publishes this information related to who the card is intended for:

This card is for people with Excellent Credit

I have had a loan or credit card for at least five years

I have a credit card with a credit limit greater than $10,000

I have never been more than 60 days late on a credit card, medical bill or loan payment

I have never declared bankruptcy

Personally, I like some of the other cards better, unless you are looking for CapOne's best APR.  Prestige has the lowest published APR at 11.9% V, but also has a 3% Transfer/Cash fee.  It also has no rewards. 

A couple of the other cards have no Transfer fees and offer rewards and is 13.9%.

Message Edited by txjohn on 01-20-2010 02:26 PM
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks txjohn !

I wonder how high is their initial credit line, for the cards requiring excellent c.h

I heard that they pull all CB, what if 2 of the 3 are under freeze, would  they budge ? 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I app'ed the CapOne Professional Ultra and only received a $3k CL.

In hindsight, I should have waited a few months before applying for it.  At the time I applied, $10k was my highest CL, and I only had 1 card at that level.  At the time of app I had:

-  BoA $10k

-  Chase $3.5k

-  CapOne $1k

-  Orchard $750

-  Juniper $2k

-  Macy's $1.3k

-  Macy's $1k

Fast forward several months and I have CL's at up to $25k.  I think that had I applied end of year I might have gotten a better CL.

IMO, you need to have 1 or more CL's above $10k that have some history.  Most of my major cards only went back 3 to 4 years and my oldest account was Macy's at 20 years.

So, these cards rely heavily upon your past history of other major accounts with high CL's

I can attest that once you finally get high CL's, this opens the door to other high CL's.  IME, I was stuck at $10k (Alliant and PenFed both matched my BoA with $10k).  But NFCU gave me $25k.  After that PSECU gave $20k, USAA gave $20k, Care Credit gave $14k (my requested CL), etc.

The real issue with CapOne is that once you app and are approved, whatever you get is what you get and you don't get consideration for your improved credit after the fact.  It is best to app once you have the "credit profile" that you want to have for them.

Message Edited by txjohn on 01-20-2010 02:52 PM
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

i applied fo the card they pulled TU ( EX & EQ are frozen  ) and got the 7 -10 message....is it a NO ?!!

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not necessarily.  CapOne prime cards often require further processing.  They may contact you for more info.  And once you are notified approved, you have to wait till the card arrives before you know your CL.  If you call CS, they tell you they don't know and you have to wait till it arrives.

IME  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks txjohn

i just called them and the cs told me i should wait at least 48 hours, because it s not a pre-qualified offer..i wonder if they will approve it without having to check the other 2 reports.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their is nothing prestigious about Capital One or any products they carry IMHO. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

crap1 is the only company that does not charge fees for using  thier cards outside the usa. 

thats the main reason i wanted the card for .  + hopefuly a high cl 

if i dont get a cl > 5k i m gonna cancel the acct  right away 

Message Edited by boamacy on 01-21-2010 03:42 PM
Message Edited by boamacy on 01-21-2010 03:47 PM
Message 9 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

NCUA wrote:
Their is nothing prestigious about Capital One or any products they carry IMHO. Smiley Wink

Many people are only familiar with their rebuilder cards and aren't aware that they have several good cards with high CL's and so forth. And for those who travel internationally, that no-fee thing can be very handy.

edit: cna't splel
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-21-2010 05:14 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.