Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Product upgrades!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Product upgrades!

I have had a secured platinum card for about a year and a half and also a student journey card for a little over a year now. I called capital one this morning and they upgraded me to the quiksilver card on both accounts. Since that was the only upgrade available to me and I would be recieving better rewards on both cards I did!

Let me know if you have a good story about a product change, no matter the bank!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Product upgrades!

That's interesting as my understanding was you couldn't upgrade either and you could only do 1 upgrade every 6 months.

Message 2 of 21
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

That's interesting as my understanding was you couldn't upgrade either and you could only do 1 upgrade every 6 months.

The limit is one per account not per card holder. The op was well within their right to have both cards product changed.

Message 3 of 21
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

My QuickSliver i have now used to be a Platinum Secured and the Discover it 5% Cash Back i have now used to be Secured....Actively trying to Product change my 2nd QuickSilver One to get rid of the Annual Fee....Perhaps a Venture One....I Accepted the Annual fee on the Quicksilver at the time cause the Sign up bonus was 50% off Spotify for the first year.....Now thats over and i want out lol And it was Also the First Unsecured card i was Approved for After Rebuilding

Message 4 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Eagered2succeed wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The limit is one per account not per card holder. The op was well within their right to have both cards product changed.

And based on what's been posted here, from what I was told by customer service, as well as personal experiences of me and my wife, Cap1 only allows you to upgrade a single card at a time. The next available upgrade wouldn't show until a minimum of 6 months have passed. My wife just upgraded a couple of months ago and had to choose which card she wanted to upgrade. They wouldn't let her do both because of that rule. So, either he slipped through the cracks, or the rule has changed. Either way it's interesting.

Message 5 of 21
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Congrats OP!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 21
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on getting Crap1 to upgrade you!  I've had a Platinium Secured for almost 3 years now and they refuse to upgrade it.  I have talked with every single tier and they all tell me the same thing, "Secure cards can't be upgraded.  But you can apply on our website for a different card."  As poorly has they have treated me, I'll save my HPs from their clutches and just continue to use the cards that have rewarded me very well since opening.  :-)  

I am VERY happy to hear about an upgrade and that someone received one.  Way to go!!

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 7 of 21
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the PCs. Just check to ensure your APRs don't change.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 8 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner, I upgraded two QS1s to QSes on the same call last August. I followed up by PC-ing one of those two cards to a Savor about six and a half months later.

The bottom line is that there has to be an offer available to upgrade your card. I believe that PC-ing will preclude an offer from becoming available for six months from the previous PC. But the passage of time won't guarantee that an offer will be generated.

It never hurts to call in and ask. If you want to be persistent, ask each and every month.

Message 9 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner, I upgraded two QS1s to QSes on the same call last August. I followed up by PC-ing one of those two cards to a Savor about six and a half months later.

The bottom line is that there has to be an offer available to upgrade your card. I believe that PC-ing will preclude an offer from becoming available for six months from the previous PC. But the passage of time won't guarantee that an offer will be generated.

It never hurts to call in and ask. If you want to be persistent, ask each and every month.

Thanks for the DP. You're the second person recently that has been able to do 2 at the same time. Now, if we could get some solid DP for QS1 upgrades, that would be swell.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.