Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Quicksilver to SD!!!

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Quicksilver to SD!!!

If memory serves, Cap1 never actually sells your debt... They hold on to it forever and, yes, they are quickest to sue. That being said, if they have relatively loose lending criteria, I understand them being more aggressive on the collection end of things.

My QS is at $7k, but most of that came from card combinations. I was at the ceiling. But when I bit at the Venture, they gave me an instant $15k. 2% (effective) on everything isn't too shabby as long as I PIF each month. (Yes, if you choose cash back, it's only 1%, but if you redeem for at airfare or gift cards, it's 2%).

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 21 of 29
iowe
Regular Contributor

I'm in that group as well. My last two cli requests have been denied for what I think is a bs reason. They were great for starting my rebuild and getting an unsecured card to begin with, but the card is almost totally useless for me now that I've been approved for 5 figure starting limits with other lenders. I'll SD it until I close the account in 3 more years or so. The door has shut at Cap One bigtime.

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why wait to close it? Smiley Happy (A decision I have come to on many cards lately-Consolidated down to 8)
Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat as many in this thread as my QS was a rebuilder card for me opened on less than favorable terms (619 score) and even with ~800 scores now I can't get it a penny over $4000 when all of my other limits are 5-figures now.  It is what it is and this is just how Capital One operates.  Perhaps they do this to try to get you to open another card with them, since 99 times out of 100 when someone does this they get approved with a SL that's 2X-3X the limit that they haven't been able to budge for years.

Message 24 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've elaborated on my CapOne history several times, but I have a VentureOne that began life as an HSBC card in 2004 at $5300, which became Direct Merchants Bank, then it was sold to CapOne around 2011.  I had a $2000 and a pair of $500 CapOne cards that were opened sometime in the late 90s and 2002, one of those $500 cards was combined with the $2000 around 2003 (at the time I could not combine the other because CapOne would not combine MC-to-VISA accounts and vice versa).  They also acquired another lender (Orchard which was also HSBC I think?) around 2012 and that card was $875.

When I began working on improving my portfolio and finally getting my debt under control a little over a year ago, I combined them all into the Direct Merchants account since it had no AF (knowing what I know now, I would have dumped them all into the oldest card and then done a PC to the VentureOne).  The APR was a few points higher than 2 of the others also.  So I combined $2500 Visa Platinum + 2 Platinum MasterCards ($875, $500) into my $5300 Platinum MasterCard to make a $9175 CL, then did a PC to VentureOne.  Ran thousands through it over the summer, and always turned down for a CLI.  No luck with APR reductions (I think with the latest round of Prime Rate increases, I am up to 25.99%).  No luck with balance transfer offers.  The card is completely useless to me and they seem to still have me pegged as the kid from 20 years ago new to credit.  Not once in about 20 years of being a customer has Capital One given me a single CLI.  FICO 08s are in the 730s and I have never had a late payment or other negative at any point in my life.

In a last-ditch attempt, I actually went for the "Apply for a new Venture card to get rebucketed with a real CL and low APR, then move on" method in February.  Triple-pull, 7-day notice, and eventually declined for a credit card for the first time in probably 15 years.  Meanwhile, I see countless people getting approved for that card with large 5-digit SLs, even with scores 30-50 points lower than mine, BKs, lates, and/or income that is a fraction of mine.  Capital One is going to be the first one to hit the chopping block when I go on my next combining/closing spree.

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I am one of the ones that will remain loyal to Cap 1 because of the fact that they gaev me another chance after my BK7. I burned them big time - 5 figures in that BK7. But, when I started to rebuild they gave me what I consider a nice limit $3K. They were my first card after BK7 and I was just grateful to them for giving me a chance.

Now, they would only give me a $300 CLI and then $500 CLI for Credit Steps for a total of $3800 after account opening. But I applied for the Venture, got $10K and immediately combined the limits for a $13,800 card. Now, the APR is horrible. But, that doesn't matter overly much to me as I PIF each month.

All in all, I have been happy with them so far. And even as my portfolio grows, I will always keep at least one Cap 1 in my wallet. 

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great example above of how you had one tainted account, but in opening a new one under better terms you were able to secure a 5-figure SL.  Had you not opened that new account, I'm doubtful if you would have been able to grow that $3800 credit line much more and if you were, it surely would have been at a snails pace.

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great example above of how you had one tainted account, but in opening a new one under better terms you were able to secure a 5-figure SL.  Had you not opened that new account, I'm doubtful if you would have been able to grow that $3800 credit line much more and if you were, it surely would have been at a snails pace.

Yes BBS. I don't think that card was going to move at all. That is why I bit the bullet an app'd for the venture! Glad I did and was happy with the outcome.

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understood.  I've considered doing the same thing with my QS that plateaued at $4000 that's been collecting dust in my SD, but honestly none of the CO products out there really appeal to me.  I'm just holding onto the card in the event that CO does release a new product at some point that appeals to me and at that time I'll move the limit over.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.