Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Recon

tag
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Recon

Could anybody give advice, information, and/or tips for reconning a denied Capital 1 app?  Thank You...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Recon

I am going to be blunt and please forgive me. I know right now it seems tough, not being able to be approved. But trying to recon Capital One is close to impossible. I have tried numerous times. It took me 8 times in one year to be finally approved for my OWN unsecured capital one card.

I was just approved on 01/06/12 for a Capital One Cash Rewards. I have discharged from bk7 in June. The trustee allowed me to open a Cap 1 Secured in May and Orchard bank. In July I opened first primier. It's been about 7-8 Months and I applied and was instantly approved for Cash rewards with a 500 dollar limit, not much but it is a start.. 

To start your credit, just apply for fingerhut and see what happens.. You don't have to use it for it to report 0 balance Smiley Very Happy

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 2 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@ktm214 wrote:

Could anybody give advice, information, and/or tips for reconning a denied Capital 1 app?  Thank You...

ihatemyscore is probably right, but just to check, what card were you applying for?  Venture/Cash Rewards Visa (no fee)?   These are the "excellent credit" cards that Cap One offers.   Or was it other cards?  Not to say that reconning any will necessarily be possible, but the first ones are surprisingly hard to get (as people have low expectations of Cap One) so if you are denied those, there are decent alternatives elsewhere.

Message 3 of 8
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

So Fingerhut is a viable option for obtaining a positive TL? Who do they report to and do you know if they do a HP? To be honest, I cannot remember which Cap 1 I applied for. Thank you for the input.
Message 4 of 8
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

So you may of applied for a excellent card with cap one. They are actually harder to get than the average credit; credit cards they offer.

Fingerhut pulled EQ and is reporting to eq and tu right now. Yeah its a positive revolving account! In 45 days apply for the average credit cash rewards from cap uno.

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 5 of 8
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

Any idea what kind of score Fingerhut looks for before I waste a pull?
Message 6 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

If you have a 600+ FICO.. you could get a GECRB account at various retailers and build that way....

GECRB is great for building.. even if you have to get a store account!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 8
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Cap1 is very hard to recon, I tried like 5 times and they tell me the same stroy. I even called the corporate office and same there as well. They are very stingy with their cli. I have Cap1 secured for about almost 1 year now and got $100 increase 6 months in and nothing ever since that. I have Fingerhut for about 3 years noe, I don't use it because their like double the price!!!. Your score can be low and still get approve. I know mine was like around high 400's back than and got it. They report consistantly. Also alittle trick that I have learned along the way with Fingerhut, I had purchse something and returned it becasue I didn't like it.

So somehow Fingerhut report has positive payment which was great for me. That wasn't intentional but it worked out great, ever since than they raised my credit limit $100 increments at a time and now it's $650 and been there forawhile now. Definitely start out with Fingerhut. Good luck!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.