cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Savor: Product change to avoid annual fee?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Savor: Product change to avoid annual fee?

I used to work in Cable, then Satellite TV, then Satellite Radio - all industries with a strong customer service/billing component.

CSRs just are not give advance information. Their "maybe in 2020" means no more than mine does - and I have absolutely no connection to Capital One except as a customer with a $500 limit! Smiley Very Happy 

Message 11 of 16
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

@snaximax wrote:
Actually, it’s a minor gripe, but one of the things I find weird about the BofA Travel Rewards Visa is the redemption process. Like you have to find a historical transaction with the right merchant code to decide to apply your rewards balance to in order to get the credit... kind of odd/pointless.

One of the things I like about the Savor is the easy rewards redemption for cash back — no minimums, and you can set it to auto-redeem for cash with no thought involved. Does anyone who has the Quicksilver know if the rewards redemption on that card works the same way? Thanks in advance for your help!

I have both that VentureOne and Quicksilver. The redemption on QS is painless, immediate, no minimums, etc.  I don't have anything in the savor family, but I'd guess it's very similar.  

VentureOne is a different story.  The "miles" have different redemption values depending on what you do with them.  You can transfer to airline partners, you can redeem at less than a penny (I think it's 1/2 cent) for gift cards/something else, or you can redeem at a penny each for a travel transaction (like the BoA you described but Capital one will identify your eligible transactions for you).  

I got a lot of value out of the V1 because of the 10x miles on hotels.com (I had about $5k of non-loyalty hotel stays to book-so the $500 in "miles" was worth the remaining less desirable features).  That ends 1/31/20 so probably not a big draw for you.   Without that promo, rhe V1 is indeed a sad card.  

Message 12 of 16
snaximax
Established Member

@I_Love_Carbs -- thanks v. much for your feedback and comparison.  It sounds like of the two programs, the Quicksilver might be better as a less-hassle version of the BofA Travel Rewards Visa, esp. if the VentureOne hotels.com program is ending.  I think I'll still hold out to see if C1 offers the Savor -> SavorOne PC by the end of January, and if not, just jump onto the Quicksilver train.  Smiley Happy  I'll update this thread with the outcome...

In My Wallet:
Occasional Use:
Online Use Only:
Sock Drawer:
R.I.P.:
Car Loan:
Mortgage:
Scores (9/2023):
Message 13 of 16
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

You can give them Savor to me. 

@snaximax wrote:

Hi all,

I recently applied for the Wells Fargo Visa Signature Card to effectively bump up the dining/travel rewards on the Wells Fargo Propel Amex from 3% to 4.5% (if redeemed for airfare -- no problem since I travel a lot).  I am approaching the one year anniversary for my Capital One Savor card and will soon have to pay the $95 annual fee.  I don't really need the 4% cash back on restaurants/travel now, and I rarely use the entertainment category.  I would like to avoid paying the annual fee if possible.

I logged into https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade and found that I am eligible to product change to either the Quicksilver or the Venture One, both with no annual fee.  Since I don't plan to take advantage of the Savor, is there any reason not to convert into one of these two?  Any thoughts on whether one is better than the other?

Ideally I'd just convert it to the Savor One, but that wasn't offered.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 14 of 16
snaximax
Established Member

Update: I decided to just apply for the Savor One Mastercard since my Savor is not even a year old yet.  I was approved for $1k, which... whatever.  Smiley Happy  I PCed the Savor to a Quicksilver to avoid the annual fee. I spend way less than $1k per month in "entertainment" so the $1k limit on the Savor One is fine I guess, and if need be I'll ask to move over some of my credit line from the Quicksilver (my old Savor).  So now I'm once again annual-fee-free ... I'm gonna chill for a bit on credit cards.  Smiley Very Happy  Hope this helps somebody else!

In My Wallet:
Occasional Use:
Online Use Only:
Sock Drawer:
R.I.P.:
Car Loan:
Mortgage:
Scores (9/2023):
Message 15 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP has provided an update with their recent approval, this thread is now locked and closed to new messages.

OP, feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approval forums if you would like to do so.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.