Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Card Just Won't Upgrade

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured Card Just Won't Upgrade

You have to open up new accounts to get better rates and larger CL with Cap One.

Search "buckets" and "glass ceilings" with "Capital One"

The account is labeled when its opened.  

On the bright side, they don't put glass ceilings on people, just accounts.

Ever since I had to start over, they have treated me like a king.

Started me off with a basic $3k platinum when others would not touch me.

Yes, I had to open and close a few accounts to grow but my newest card SL at $30k at 13.99% and that is awesome for me.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great! I'm really happy things are working out with you and Capital One. Unfortunately, applying for any card at this time is something I cannot afford to do, because I really want to age my existing cards, and gardening for me is a must as I have just recently added a third AMEX card last month. Once that reports it will slightly bring down my AAoA. Another issue I have is the triple HP with CapOne, one of the things that is preventing me from expanding to any of their other cards. My next must have card would have to be a Visa or hopefully a Visa Signature Cashback card. So I am just looking forward to next year to see which card I'd end up app'ng for. 

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The triple pull I could accept when I didn’t have as much history.
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree Cap 1 seems to bucket each card not the owner. My Cap 1 QS has a low $1.75K?  limit but DW same income same score $7.5K   For our biz we have 2 Cap 1 Spark and 1 Chase Ink.  Our Cap 1 employee Spark we don't want a large  ie $10K limit or higher on but it is stuck at $1.75K while our regular Spark card has $16K and grows. We really want the employee card to get to $5K so we don't have to be with them for every move. There limits are way lower than our other cards for the most part. 

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a Capital One secured back in January 2015. I laid out $750 and 6 months later they bumped me $300 unsecured.

I'm still stuck with that same $1050 limit Capital One secured card. It was my first card, so I'm afraid to let it go because the next newest card I'm willing to keep was opened 07/2017. Despite what other posters on this post have suggested, they HAVE NOT and WILL NOT do anything else for me. They've personally told me this on the telephone through one of my numerous recons.. because, yes, I swallowed my pride and continued submitting apps every 3-4 months since their $300 unsecured CLI.

Today, I now have 18 cards; 5 prime, 4 subprime, 8 store. Those include Amex, BoA, Chase, and NFCU. Why Capital One doesn't see me as a worthy of even their lowest unsecured offering when I've been a cardholder for 38 months with 100% positive history and cards with major banks, a credit union, and Amex-- well, that's beyond me.

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

My overall experience is pretty much similar. I opened a Cap One secured Platinum at the end of December 2015 with a $500 deposit for a $651 SL that was auto-CLI'ed in June 2016 to $951, and it's been stuck there ever since; I finally paid it off and closed it on Friday evening since I really didn't need it any more. I opened a Platinum MC in February 2017 with a $3K SL, PC'ed it to Quicksilver in June and it was auto-CLI'ed in August to $3500, but it's been stuck there since then (no doubt bucketed at the "starter" level); I'll try again for a manual CLI after the April statement cuts but am not too optimistic. Finally, I got a Quicksilver Visa Signature just after New Year's with a $10K SL, which I do feel pretty optimistic about growing; I'm planning to zero out the MC and combine it into the Visa in July once the Visa ages to the required 6 months (after checking for any CLI offers on the Visa).

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.