cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Deposit Refund - Now Unsecured!

tag
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured Deposit Refund - Now Unsecured!

@Anonymous Congrats on your Capital One "unsecured" card . . . Wishing you success as you continue to build your credit!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 151 of 154
MrZero
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured Deposit Refund - Now Unsecured!

So I got the letter in the mail last week about it, would've been nice if they just sent a check instead of a credit. I still have 54 cents to use for something.

@Horseshoez wrote:

@MrZero wrote:

So uh, yeah I got an e-mail this evening congratulating me on my security deposit being returned and my card being "upgraded" to a Platinum Mastercard, the account was opened in January last year. So, neat, it's still going to be the card that's only in my current wallet because I have room for it but I guess I should spend my $49.

Going to try for a CLI and a product change. They've been e-mailing/nagging me with pre-approvals every week for the Quicksilver card but it's redundant and I don't want a triple pull for another 1.5% CB card when my Navy Cash Rewards already does that.

As a suggestion, it seems many folks who get pre-qualified for a Quicksilver can also be approved for a SavorOne.

Yep, I saw it pop up when I did a prequal check the other day. I'm at 4/24 until mid-December and early January when two cards will hit the two year mark and really considering a Chase card soon before I go for anything else.

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 152 of 154
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Re: It only took 9 years! Thanks Cap1!

@jamie123 wrote:

A long time ago in a far away place...

It was April of 2012 when I first stumbled upon MyFICO and all the wonderful people here and all the great advice that can be found here. My credit was terrible, I had suffered a business failure in 2006 and my house was foreclosed on in 2008. I had 2 IRS tax liens and a couple of collections on my reports. Bad stuff! I hadn't used a credit card in over ten years, just a debit card. No installment loans whatsoever. In other words, the only thing contained on my reports was bad information. I joined MyFICO and it couldn't generate a score for me because I didn't have any credit accounts on my reports.

From what I learned here, I opened a Capital One Platinum secured card in April of 2012. I eventually funded it with $850 and with a couple of CLI through the years the CL eventually rose to $1300. After owning this card for 3 months MyFICO was able to generate a score of 653 for me. That's where I started out. I pretty much sock drawered this card after 2 or 3 years because I eventually received approval for much better rewards cards. I just never closed it because it was my oldest card.

The other day I was checking the balances in all my accounts and discovered that I received an $850 credit in my Capital One Platinum card account. Wut? I called them to ask where this credit came from because I for sure didn't put money into that account. (I doubled checked!) They informed me that because I have been such a good customer that they unsecured my card and put my $850 security deposit into the account! Totally shocked the heck out of me! Never say never! (I do have a Cap1 QS and now my Walmart Master Card card moved there.)

So never lose hope people and keep working on those scores! I came from nothing 9 years ago to having this on my reports:

12 active CCs with combined total CLs of $230K

2 closed credit card accounts (Upgrades by lenders)

2 active 60 month auto loans (1 will be paid off next month!)

2 closed share secured loans (These really helped my scores in the beginning.)

1 closed mortgage

1 closed HELOC

1 active mortgage after refinancing and rolling the HELOC into the new 2.99% mortgage refinancing last summer

No negative information remains on my reports. If I work at it and do AZEO I can get all my FICO 08 scores into the 820s. My mortgage mid score last summer was 780.

Keep working it people!

The advice found here from all the wonderful people really works!

@jamie123  Heck of a ride Congrats! You have accomplished so much during your journey.

(9 years Cap1 REALLY Jeez)

Message 153 of 154
ReEducationOfAnEgoiste
New Contributor

Re: It only took 9 years! Thanks Cap1!

Congratulations on your growth.

Starting Score: 525
Current Score:EX 685 TU 680 EQ 735
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 154 of 154
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.