Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Secured

I opened my card in Feb this year. Today in the mail I got a letter saying that after Januaury I will not be able to add money to my deposit, increasing my credit line. I contacted Cap 1 to ask why and the CSR was no help. So I am wondering if anyone would know why? Is it because my account will be a year old ? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Secured

Ahh no it may not be that. I just got approved for the card myself & the representative said that Capital One is changing their policy on Secured Cards. Wow this really sucks. I may not open this card at all. I want to be able to add to my deposit.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry about adding to your line . Just sit on the card for 24 months and then close it . Cap 1 and others will give you good limites on other insecure cards sooner than you may think .
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't gotten the letter yet, but there has been talk about it on the forum for a while. If you can, add funds before the change. It isn't the amount of money you have in the secured card, but the trade line itself that's important.
Message 4 of 10
Pway
Valued Contributor

Yes, there has been talk on the forums about not being able to add additional funds to the secured card.  Thanks for the update, my best friend has this card and I can relay the information to him as well.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right. You're absolutely right. If Capital One really is changing their policy on secured cards, I need to add a boatload of money to it right away!

It sucks that we potentially won't be able to have this opportunity. Because it was a very amazing opportunity.

Message 6 of 10
mamatried
Contributor

I received the letter today and it said the same. I opened a secured CapitalOne Platinum in January 2014 with $200. After 6 months of use / on time pays, they increased me to $500 without an additional deposit. I was also approved for an unsecured CapitalOne Quicksilver for $1,000 that gets an auto increase to $1,500 after so many months of on time pays. I wouldn't worry about it. Really, with secured cards, I don't see enough of a benefit to do additional deposits. Use the minimum to get your foot in the door and get the unsecured cards. 

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you making on-time payments? Is the payment you are making adequate or more than the minimum amount every month? Another thing... which card type do you have? All types of cards of Capital One dobn't provide credit line.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Secured, CHANGES

I also received this letter in the mail 11/23/2015. I just finished a chat with a Cap1 CSR and here is the information that he gave me:

CSR stated that by allowing customers to continue to apply new deposits, Cap1 is unable to "offer some additional benefits and services that may otherwise be available for cardholders". He also stated that once this change takes place (January 16, 2016), secured card holders will be able to request CLIs online and potentially be approved, as if the account were an unsecured account. He said the company wants to "improve this product for the cardholder".

I did also ask if once the change took effect and I decided to close my secured account, if I would be able to get my deposit back and close the card, and he stated nothing about this particular process will change; If you want to close the account and get your money back, there shouldn't be a problem. I forgot to ask about combining limits of a secured and an unsecured account :-(

I'm thinking of keeping this card open just to see what new "benefits and services" they will be offering. I've had the card since late June 2015.

Hope this helps. :-) 

Message 9 of 10
mamatried
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you making on-time payments? Is the payment you are making adequate or more than the minimum amount every month? Another thing... which card type do you have? All types of cards of Capital One dobn't provide credit line.

I PIF every month, on-time. Capital One Platinum = Secured $200 / $500 Line / $0 Balance, Capital One QuickSilver = Unsecured $1,000, currently has a balance, but will be PIF before due. I don't pay cc interest as a personal rule.

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.