Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One ... They Got me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One ... They Got me

I have had a Capital One card since 2004.  They were the first company to give me a credit card when I started my rebuilding after paying off a charge off account with them. The card started at $200 and had one cli to $500 abt 2-3 years ago and nothing else since. When I called for CLIs or after reading about success on the board I got the standard response "Your card is not eligible at this time."  No late payments since opened. I finally resigned myself to the fact the card would not grow.

Fast forward to 1 week ago. I get an email from Capital One stated they value me being a customer since 2004 and want me to apply for a new card with no annual fee, 0% Apr through March 2011, however has a high variable APR.  I called in answered the basic questions and the representative offered me a different card. Same offer as the other, although lower APR (19.24) and $39.00 annual fee. I assumed if I tried for something other than what was in the email I would automatically get shot down, so I told just process for the original offer.

So I held for 60 seconds and heard the magic words ... "Congratulations, you have been approved ..."  Then came the hammer "with a $500 limit."  Geesh I cant win for losing .... they got me again Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One ... They Got me

LOL. Sorry that happened. I also got the same e-mail and I was thinking, "Hmmm, do I want another low limit CC?". I deleted it without thinking twice.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i wish they unsecured mine

Message 3 of 9
g35_ab05
New Contributor

Congrats on the new card. I got the same offer via email, applied, same CL! Smiley Happy I was disappointed as well, considering my existing CapOne has a $2k credit limit and I've been with them since 2003. But, I'm going to give it a year of good use and see if they give me an auto CLI. If not, I will likely close it and stick with my existing CapOne, Discover, and Amex. Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ: 651
Current Score: EQ: 664 | TU: 665 - 03/2010
                       EQ: 673 | TU: 681 | EX Plus: 663 - 05/2010
Goal Score: EQ: 710 | TU: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

LOL. Sorry that happened. I also got the same e-mail and I was thinking, "Hmmm, do I want another low limit CC?". I deleted it without thinking twice.

so ummm where were you to let me know it would be a low limit card lol.  I was in a fantasy world.  Does anyone know how I can find out if this is a credit steps card and/or how I can be considered for one?

Message 5 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

so ummm where were you to let me know it would be a low limit card lol.  I was in a fantasy world.  Does anyone know how I can find out if this is a credit steps card and/or how I can be considered for one?

I don't know..does CapOne even grant high-limit CCs anymore? Maybe I haven't been in here enough (probably a good thing), but I can't recall any approved limits over $1000 in quite some time. I know someone will correct me though.

Message 6 of 9
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Good question! My 2 Cap One cards haven't budged. One has a limit of $1,250 and the other $750. I keep them for the history.

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 7 of 9
LADYBUSA
Valued Member

Smiley Very HappyWE WOULD BE STUCK IT A WORLD OF BAAD CREDIT...WE CAN FIGHT IN NUMBERS..THEY DO

Starting Score: EQ 495
Current Score: EQ 694 4/10
Goal Score: 760 + 12/10

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Purple,

Okay granted, I did this seven years ago so I don't know if its relevant now but what I did was call to ask them to lower my APR especially since I paid the bill consistently on time several years prior.  They said no.....but offered to raise my limit.  It went from $300 to $600.  Here's a good way to get it increased......don't use it for a loooooong time!  Worked for me, I've now got a 4k limit.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.