Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Tiny Increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Tiny Increase

I asked for a higher limit to my Quicksilver and was only offered an increase to  $1100 from $1000. I have a $7500 limit card at Synchrony Bank and $3300 at Wells Fargo. I applied for the QS in January at a bad time for my credit score. It had dropped almost 100 points in the month before and was at 686 on Experian. It took about three months, but I got the scores back to my previous levels since then and the free credit scores from my banks show 782, 792, & 812. So I'm thinking I might be stuck because of when I applied. I'm considering trying to get either Savor or Savor One depending on which would give me a higher limit.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Tiny Increase

Going back many years 2001 to 2009 (when I closed all eight of my Cap1 accounts) CSR could give a person a $100 CLI when they called in if all else failed. Until now, I don't remember reading about such activities? Just wondering?
Message 2 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked for a higher limit to my Quicksilver and was only offered an increase to  $1100 from $1000. I have a $7500 limit card at Synchrony Bank and $3300 at Wells Fargo. I applied for the QS in January at a bad time for my credit score. It had dropped almost 100 points in the month before and was at 686 on Experian. It took about three months, but I got the scores back to my previous levels since then and the free credit scores from my banks show 782, 792, & 812. So I'm thinking I might be stuck because of when I applied. I'm considering trying to get either Savor or Savor One depending on which would give me a higher limit.

Hi and welcome 

Cap One does not pull monthly. They do AR every 3-4 months. So it might be a while till they see your new score (I am not even sure if they care about those). Also, they use an older scoring system.

If you already  have  a card, they expect some serious spending for at lest three months before requesting CLI

Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

+1 Cap1 likes heavy usage and PIF for a short period. Then ask for a CLI. Back in 2015-16 they handed them out like crazy. Not so much now. You can't compare banks to one another. They all have their own protocols for CLI's. Even some do HP's and some do SP's. No bank matches each other. Especially bipolar Disco! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They gave me a whopping 150.00 increase and I used the card for everything, would make multiple payments thru the month and always paid the balance to 0 before the statement date...

Ill never understand them..

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you could paint a more complete picture of your credit profile it would help.  With your scores though not knowing the context of your cards and when they were opened and your plans for the future it would seem like you're poised to get an approval from anyone you apply for.  Which brings to question why you would waste another application cap1?

Have you looked into other lenders? https://www.doctorofcredit.com/view-personalized-credit-card-offers/

Do you have a specific spend or goal in mind?

If you're looking for high limits but aren't going to push a ton of money through Cap1 it's not your best option by far.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everybody for the helpful posts.

I want to stay with my current card issuers for a while since it's more convenient. I was hoping to get at least a $2,000 limit within the next two months with a Capital One Card and make QS the main card. I spent about 3k on the card each of the last two periods and paid down to under $100 before the cut date.

I think if I had applied one month earlier, I would have gotten about a 5k limit.

As to some of my other factors:100% of Payments Made On Time, 1% util,8 yrs oldest credit line, 1 new account + inquiry last 2 years,

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Going back many years 2001 to 2009 (when I closed all eight of my Cap1 accounts) CSR could give a person a $100 CLI when they called in if all else failed. Until now, I don't remember reading about such activities? Just wondering?

I didn't need to call to get the $100 CLI. I didn't accept the CLI and might call to try for higher CLI.

Message 8 of 14
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Not sure your score is the reason for a small limit.  I've seen in post people with high 600's and low 700's with large CL with C1.  I have relatively high scores and get nothing.  When I opened a new card last year after a few years of no apps, I received a relatively small CL.  I've concluded from this forum and my personal experience that low spend can limit CLI's with many CC companies.  I haven't been able to get any increases on any card over the past few years with great scores.  But I typically spend less than 1 - 5% on any card and lesser for all.  C1 used to give me increases twice a year but as someone already stated, not so much any more.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it will be more in a couple of months. I've been spending more than the limit the last two cycles, but maybe C1 hasn't done an account review for a few months. I'll have a couple more cycles of high spending and see what happens.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.