Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening

@redpat wrote:

You may think you protect your info well but a lot depends on others such as banks, CCC, hospitals and retail stores that you have used your credit card in.  So don't think it is impossible to have your indentity hacked.  I would dig a little deeper than just blaming CO.  One thing they don't have sales people on commission to open new accounts like WF.

Anything is possible. But at this point, it is more on the CO side. I just hope CO cleans up and there is nothing on the record. CO regularly inquire on me.....

Message 11 of 20
dragontears
Senior Contributor

If you don't have a relationship with cap1 how do they have your ssn and dob? Personally I would treat this as possible ID theft and take appropriate action
Message 12 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Today I received a letter from Capital One regarding my "new credit card" just opened. This is very shocking to me since I did not apply any Capital One card. So I called Capital One and tried to see what is going on. Capital One has most of my info right, but missing some info. I was concerned about personal info stolen. But finally I figured out this is Capital One's doing. Capital One opened my account without permission. And this is not the first time. This is the reason that I stay clear from any Capital One relationship.

if you live long enough nothing will shock you anymore.  did you see this account show up on your portal and did you get any pulls or report changes?

Well, that would be a good idea, except OP does not have a relationship with Capital One, so does not have any reason to set up an online account.

Which leads to my comment, and OP may not like it, but if this is the second time Cap One opened an account, maybe one way to counteract that is to app a Quicksilver. No AF, and it provides you with a relationship with Capital One, where they become "your bank" looking out for your interests. If it is Identity Theft, Capital One would be one of the first banks a thief would go to, given their range of products for all kinds of good and not so good files. Having your definite connection to Cap One would enable better control, less likely they will just issue a card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing I don't like about Cap one (but I do love them in a way) is their mailers, some of those if you look closely have the invitation code and when you go into the website, it never once asks for your social just to confirm that things are correct on the screen. I found out that prior to buying my current home..It was used as a rental..So lots of people lived here over the years. I get a pile of offers in other peoples name at least 5 to date name wise from Cap One..I'm kind enough to shred them but I can only imagine what may be getting to my old addresses from Cap One cause postal forwarding only last for so long.

OP everything would work itself out, I would get some more intel on it, file a police report for identity theft, also place alerts on your bureau (it may feel like a hassle when you go to app for other things but well worth it) I would also go to Cap One and ask them do they have a internal opt out option. Next up watch your mail for any funny business like someone else trying to get your mail, even the mail person (they aren't exempt from theft) I've had plenty of empty birthday cards arrive with the envelope tapped shut lol

I would also file the FTC Identity Theft report.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would absolutely not apply for any card Cap One offers, that is just insane and ludicrous to even suggest. Place fraud alerts and monitor your reports closely and if Cap One does not delete the account initiate a dispute. 

Message 15 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would absolutely not apply for any card Cap One offers, that is just insane and ludicrous to even suggest. Place fraud alerts and monitor your reports closely and if Cap One does not delete the account initiate a dispute. 

One would just need to use the laws afforded you in the FCRA to have it excluded from your CR as an ID Theft account its faster than fooling around with the OC as its done at the CRA level.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One would just need to use the laws afforded you in the FCRA to have it excluded from your CR as an ID Theft account its faster than fooling around with the OC as its done at the CRA level.

Right... but I believe OP is wanting to keep an ID theft or Fraud alert off his report hence why he has not contact them already. 

Message 17 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right... but I believe OP is wanting to keep an ID theft or Fraud alert off his report hence why he has not contact them already. 

Well as soon as the OP info them they didnt app the CRA was notified and a FA is automatically applied to the CR and it will end up on all 3. A 3 mo FA is most  likely what it will end up as but I ended up with a 7 yr for someone just getting my CC numbers and committing a bunch of bogus charges on a Synch Bank Visa account I had.

Message 18 of 20
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Just received my shinny Venture CC in the mail, with $15,000 CL and 40k bonus offer. But this is already closed.

My history with Capital One dated to 1999 to 2000. I had its Platinum Visa CC. The experience was fine, nothing ordinary. But I closed the account for lack of use. Then I had a Capital One CC opened for me, probably by CO, in like 2003. About 3-4 years ago, I received a pre-approval letter in the mail and applied it. But was declined. It pissed me off and I never wanted to do business with them again.

This time, I do not think my ID was compromised. But it is CO's doing. It has all my personal info, but some info is outdated. CO has been trying hard to push the CC to me, but I refused. So CO sent me a free CC.

Anyhow, I'll be watching my CR carefully. If I see anything wrong, I'll have to take action. But if CO takes care of its business, then it should be just fine. 

Message 19 of 20
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Unauthorized Credit Card Applications

I just wondwe what the purples are for the hackers or thefts to apply the CCs and have the CCs sent to your home address? Some wild jokes, or it is the beginning of some future frauds??

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.