Did you mean: 

Capital One Used The Wrong Payment Acct

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One Used The Wrong Payment Acct

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, you’ll have to imagine it then because that’s exactly what happened. My history with Capital One was impeccable. That’s why I’m so upset about this.

Did you get hit with a NSF on the old account then?

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. The old account was completely closed. I have not accessed it in over a year. I spoke to my old bank today and they have been helpful. They sent me a letter to give to capital one. Generally a NSF will only apply if you have an open acct hit I completely closed that acct and have proof of that.
Message 22 of 27
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@xaximus wrote:
OP - it sucks when situations like this happen. It can happen if you have multiple accounts as I almost had the same thing happen but since I login and check my accounts like a hawk daily, it was a quick fix. I agree that pushing a payment will resolve this but what's the point of having auto-pay then? I'm with the oldman87 on this, checking the auto-pay and making sure it pulls from the right account is necessary. I check all of my accounts daily and especially when a payment is due.

OMGosh- I do this to the point of OCD.

Check, check and recheck.. Payment made, credited to account, debited from bank account.

Glad I'm not the only one.. AAAnodding-head-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sorry OP!  

This kind of happened to me with a Comenity account, Victoria's Secret.

I paid and my bank blocked the payment because it was the same amt as an old expired "stop payment" order, from another company.

I wasn't notified until the next payment due date- I called super upset. Luckily they said; No worries, we don't report it as a late pmt to the CB's until after 2 payments. I did get charged a $25 fee- letter from the bank admitting their fault got that deleted.

I really hope you can get this fixed.. aaa1 Good Luck.gif

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really do get what you guys are saying about being hypervigilant. I am certain I have been just that and that’s why this is so alarming. If by some chance I did select the wrong account then it’s on me, but I wouldn’t feel so strongly about it if I didn’t think this was really mysterious, especially after such a long history of paying out of the right account without even glancing for other accounts that I was positive weren’t there.
Message 24 of 27
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Sorry this happened to you OP.
I recently changed main banks. Boy o boy, it was a massive undertaking changing all my payment accounts over. lol
I left the previous account open for a extra month, until I was 100% positive all accounts were pulling from the new account.
Jeeez, I won't be changing main accounts any time soon again! lol
Cap one is very picky about returned payments! I've seen several members accounts closed because of it.

Amex will penalize you and raise your interest rate for 6 months. They hit me with a 29%! Now back down the 12%. All because of a bank account mix up.
At least they don't close accounts.
Message 25 of 27
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I can’t imagine a credit card issuer closing an account due to a single returned payment from an old bank account, did you previously have returned payments on that same account? If so maybe they have some type of policy to close an account once there has been X amount of returned payments. Good luck!

Well believe it because some lenders can and will close for a return payment.  There doesn't always have to be a history of returned payments for said action to take place. 

Message 26 of 27
redpat
Senior Contributor

The reason CO and others are so edgy about return payments, it’s a sign that you are low on funds and living on the edge.  Computers or Supervisors don’t know otherwise.  I check, recheck and check again, even though I know it’s right I still worry something can go wrong......Technology, it’s a blessing and a curse.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.