Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture One Card - Unable to Verify Identity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Venture One Card - Unable to Verify Identity

So a bit about me - I'm currently living outside of the US (I live in Canada), but I was born there, have had credit cards in the past including from Capital One, and have good credit around 700 that I would like to build even though I don't live in the US. I never know when I might end up in the US, and I want to continue to build my credit in case I find myself back in the US and would like to get a mortgage or something like that. I still have a US address and bank acount, so none of this should have been an issue.

So with that in mind, I applied for Capital One's Venture One card and was instantly approved for $1,000. It has no foreign transaction fee and no annual fee, which was a big plus for me as I was going to be using the card outside of the US, so I thought all was well until I get a message saying that I needed to verify my identity. No big I thought, I usually can just supply my US passport and most places accept that as a valid form of photo identification.

The issue is... It sounds to me like Capital One doesn't. After spending a collective total of around an hour on the phone with them, they have told me that they absolutely refuse to accept anything but a valid driver's license or state ID, neither of which I have as I do not drive, and do not currently live in a state. They've essentially told me they have no way around this, and their system accepts this information and this information only.

I am at a loss - I could give them any number of things to show I am who I say I am, but the fact they limit it down to one of two pieces of ID is insane as every place has always accepted my passport. (I've never had a driver's license nor a state ID and was able to get CapOne cards in the past just fine. My first credit card was a CapOne card.)

Am I really going to have to cut this card up once I get it? Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm going to have to call back tomorrow to speak to a supervisor, but I'm unsure if that will do anything good.

10 REPLIES 10
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Venture One Card - Unable to Verify Identity

I'm sorry about the situation, but it looks like security won't budge. Unless you provide state issued ID, you can count on shutdown. Something has their red flag.

Message 2 of 11
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

I feel for you but will say as someone who also lives abroad and has nearly 20 cards I can tell you with 100% certainty that you are going to need a license or state ID for many banks. Since you have a US address I highly recommend getting a state ID card or you will run into this problem a lot. I understand that a passport is legal ID but the bank don't care about that they need to see your address which is the biggest thing. Best of luck to you.

Message 3 of 11
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. I'm currently living outside of the US (I live in Canada), but I was born there

2. I don't live in the US.

3. I still have a US address and bank acount

4. I get a message saying that I needed to verify my identity. 

5. I usually can just supply my US passport 

6. they absolutely refuse to accept anything but a valid driver's license or state ID, neither of which I have as I do not drive, and do not currently live in a state.

They've essentially told me they have no way around this, and their system accepts this information and this information only.

I believe it's the provision of the 2001 Patriot Act- KYC/AML is why they will only accept a validate US state ID and/or Driver's License.

I know you say you still have a US address but I believe what they want to know is that you reside at your current address which has to be in one of the 50 US states in order to be eligible for one of their products....see below. (eta: unless you have a US state ID and/or Driver's License)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 11
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Also to add to this, it's a Fraud Issue that they are doing to protect you as well.  From The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/living-overseas-us-credit-cards/

"You also may find your application subject to additional security scrutiny, as a bank will likely want to investigate why the applicant is overseas and whether there is potential fraud afoot. Be prepared to follow up with a phone call to the bank after any online applications from an overseas location."

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 11
busted2
New Contributor

I applied for Capital One CC sitting outside a convience store in Asia. It was an instant approval. I picked it up when I came back to the U.S. I maintain U.S domicile documents, incl DL.

Message 6 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious why it is so easy overall for people the live abroad in this case canada to overall to get a US credit card, but in-turn it is very difficulat for a us citizen to get a cc say from canada, etc?  I know a bit off subject, but the thought just crossed my mind.  Granted most foreign CC's i woud not want due to crazy high aprs and lack luster rewards, but a question none-the-less.  Understand this person is having a slight issue, but alot of other people don't

Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. I'm currently living outside of the US (I live in Canada), but I was born there

2. I don't live in the US.

3. I still have a US address and bank acount

4. I get a message saying that I needed to verify my identity. 

5. I usually can just supply my US passport 

6. they absolutely refuse to accept anything but a valid driver's license or state ID, neither of which I have as I do not drive, and do not currently live in a state.

They've essentially told me they have no way around this, and their system accepts this information and this information only.

I believe it's the provision of the 2001 Patriot Act- KYC/AML is why they will only accept a validate US state ID and/or Driver's License.

I know you say you still have a US address but I believe what they want to know is that you reside at your current address which has to be in one of the 50 US states in order to be eligible for one of their products....see below. (eta: unless you have a US state ID and/or Driver's License)

Knowledge Girl💁‍♀️😎😊🙋‍♂️

Message 8 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Just curious why it is so easy overall for people the live abroad in this case canada to overall to get a US credit card, but in-turn it is very difficulat for a us citizen to get a cc say from canada, etc?  I know a bit off subject, but the thought just crossed my mind.  Granted most foreign CC's i woud not want due to crazy high aprs and lack luster rewards, but a question none-the-less.  Understand this person is having a slight issue, but alot of other people don't

I had wondered that myself, and there is nothing legal or regulatory preventing them to issue cards to US citizens.

It seems it's about banks being unwilling to transfer credit history, so without it, you'd be going same route as here first...secured cards 🤷‍♀️

Secured cards are issued without much fuss. 

Message 9 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I had wondered that myself, and there is nothing legal or regulatory preventing them to issue cards to US citizens.

It seems it's about banks being unwilling to transfer credit history, so without it, you'd be going same route as here first...secured cards 🤷‍♀️

Secured cards are issued without much fuss. 

Well with Amex transfer program ones credit history could be established pretty easily in say Canada/UK and various other countries...  Wonder if ones just needs a PO box or similiar?  Need simliar to an ITIN, etc?  I know going off subject and appologize to OP for this.  How I see it is "What good for the goose is good for the gander" type scenario..

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.