Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture One Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Venture One Card

Hey Guys,

Applied for a Venture One card earlier this month due to the 0% @ 12mo offer and was approved with a low starting limit of $2K :/.  I wanted to ask if anyone has experience growing their CLI specifically with this card? From what I've read CapOne is stingy with CLI's due to a card holder being in a "bucket" from when they apply. The fact that you can't speak to anyone on the phone about CLI's with them is really annoying. Thanks in advance! 

TU: 701

EQ: 711

EX: 690

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Venture One Card

The venture one isn’t in the rebuilder/starter bucket, therefore it shouldn’t be an issue growing the CL. 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen a lot about the "bucket" on here as well.  I got a Cap 1 QS about a year ago and thought perhaps I was in that bucket myself.  However, for me at least, it was a matter more of swipes.  As do many of us once we reach the SUB, our card gets less use unless we've decided to make it our daily driver.  I re-emphasized swipes on my QS and got a $2K CLI.  I feel like if you make it your main card for an extended period you'll get even better return and more of a CLI bump.  I do think you are right in that Cap 1 is a bit more stingy with SLs and CLIs than others such as AMEX and products from PenFed, NFCU and some others.  I look forward to reading responses from those with much more lengthy and broad experience with Cap 1.  

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm going to make it my daily driver during the next 3 mo for sure to get the signup bonus of 20K miles on $1K purchases w/in 3 mo and pay off purcahses quickly within each month. Hopefully, I can get a CLI within the next 90 days. All of my CapOne cards have low limits compared to my Chase Unlimited ($5.5K, not great but still building). I'm shooting for an Amex in the next few weeks and hopefully will get a larger SLI. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!  Please keep us posted as to your new Venture One and your Amex goal!  

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

CapOne gave me the option to combine my QS with a $950 limit into my new Venture card (oddly enough the day after I called and complained about the process the option showed up in my app). Anyway, I'll be combining this card since it's hardly used. That would bring the Venture to an available limit to $2,950. Given their policy of combining "resets" the CLI 6mo clock - combining now right after the card was issued might be favorable for me since less than 14 days have passed since the account opened and I can request another CLI within the 6 mo mark. Making this thing my daily driver!

I applied and was pre-approved for an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred with a whopping $1K SL (eyeroll). It gets my foot in the door and I'm going to recon my starting limit as soon as my card arrives since I have decent scores and the income to justify a higher limit. Hopefully, me bringing up a willingness to provide W-2's eases the rep, I've been with the same company for 5 years and growing income each year.

After the AMEX application, I pulled my Experian report via the app since I've received such low starting lines on the Venture and AMEX BCP. Figured out what's causing all my starting limits to be so low. I have an OLD card from 2011 that was closed as a charge off, I didn't know until after the fact since someone else was using it. This individual wasn't an AU but their name is being reported on other items on my report. I settled up on this immediately in 2015 and was under the impression that it was going to be removed from my report or corrected (not sure what the terminology is). Either way, I am going to begin the dispute process this weekend to have it removed from my report. Hopefully, this works out in my favor.

New Scores:

EX: 705

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

After the AMEX application, I pulled my Experian report via the app since I've received such low starting lines on the Venture and AMEX BCP. Figured out what's causing all my starting limits to be so low. I have an OLD card from 2011 that was closed as a charge off, I didn't know until after the fact since someone else was using it. This individual wasn't an AU but their name is being reported on other items on my report. I settled up on this immediately in 2015 and was under the impression that it was going to be removed from my report or corrected (not sure what the terminology is). Either way, I am going to begin the dispute process this weekend to have it removed from my report. Hopefully, this works out in my favor.

New Scores:

EX: 705

If you have a lot of inquiries, any cards with high utilization, a low income, a late within the last 7 years, or a combination of all of those - AMEX probably gave you a $1,000 credit line because they have some concerns about your credit. 

Message 7 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Cap1 likes to see lots of use before they will grant a CLI.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Cap1 likes to see lots of use before they will grant a CLI.

Spend to earn CLI yeah! not happening here...

Message 9 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

If I were you, I would stop seeking new cards and credit limit increases on existing cards until your scores improve and you get rid of that charge off.  There's no point to swimming upstream.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.