Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture X

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Venture X

@FinStar wrote:

@BearsCubsOtters wrote:

Oh man, I hope this becomes a FotM!!!! It has become so boring lately, I love watching everybody go for a FotM!!!

Also, I know...Smorgasboard, but I like the design. Less is more and I like that the Capital One logo looks metallic instead of white. Love the big chip and that it is not vertical!!!!!!

Pretty ambitious sign up, they are definitely going after a certain demographic with this. 

So, does this mean you'd be going for it?  I mean, you can add to the excitement 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

But, I doubt this latest Capital One release would be FOTM -- I could be wrong.  Most folks seem to be gravitating toward AmEx Platinum if we're talking premium or pricey CCs.

This ^^^.

Another thing is that the last few years Capital One has been tricky to get approved for some with thicker files, even with scores 800+.  Add to that the infamous "triple pull" and many around here who would usually be on board for a FOTM will likely hesitate.

On the other hand, perhaps we'll find out the underwriting is different with this one... we'll just have to wait and see.

Message 41 of 161
NRB525
Super Contributor

As a general travel card, it has a lot of interest if one wants to use the range of airlines and hotels for travel without dealing with a co-brand card. The SUB is interesting but the $10k spend required is VERY rich. The points accelerators and travel credit all depend on the CO Travel Portal, and I'm not a fan of travel portals. 

It has several competitors to face, with their own advantages. 

CSR VISA Infinite travel credit is just "spend on travel". The net AF is more, but one can build in better points earning with Freedom cards. The known 1.5cpp redemption is better than "maybe I could get 1.7cpp for airline miles".

The USB Altitude Reserve VISA Infinite has a simpler travel redemption, and def better points possibilities. Also has some rental car perks. 

So, no, I don't see myself getting this card. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 42 of 161
sjt
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Another thing is that the last few years Capital One has been tricky to get approved for some with thicker files, even with scores 800+.  Add to that the infamous "triple pull" and many around here who would usually be on board for a FOTM will likely hesitate.

On the other hand, perhaps we'll find out the underwriting is different with this one... we'll just have to wait and see.

Agree!

If they want to make this card a success they did need to re-evaluate their credit approval process. So many folks with prime credit get denied or avoid applying for a Cap1 card because of the triple pull.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 43 of 161
practical1
Regular Contributor

@sjt

Agree in spades!

Quick update:  I pulled the pin on me 3 X CLI for the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card -- and got it today -- so that one's off the table.  Still facing the decision as to where to most profitably spend my precious HP.  Still weighing whether PenFed for a no-annual fee card with a single EQ HP might not make more sense than the Venture X, net net.  Now that we've been hashing out the pros and cons for a few days, does anyone have new thoughts on this particular decision for me?

Message 44 of 161
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@practical1 wrote:

@sjt

Agree in spades!

Quick update:  I pulled the pin on me 3 X CLI for the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card -- and got it today -- so that one's off the table.  Still facing the decision as to where to most profitably spend my precious HP.  Still weighing whether PenFed for a no-annual fee card with a single EQ HP might not make more sense than the Venture X, net net.  Now that we've been hashing out the pros and cons for a few days, does anyone have new thoughts on this particular decision for me?

@practical1 it's really been a little over 24 hours tbh. 

You'd have to do the math to determine whether you'd come out ahead with Capital One's new CC or if it's simply a matter of adding another higher AF card to your current wallet and whether you have any potential overlap elsewhere.

If you don't mind the triple pull and if there are some gaps that you can fill with this card, then try it out next week and see.

Message 45 of 161
practical1
Regular Contributor

@FinStar 

I guess time does fly, when you're having fun....lol

Message 46 of 161
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Wonder if cap1 due to this AF is going to have as strict of UW being people with alot of credit as they have no issues turning down people with 800+ scores as many DP's on various sites or be a bit more easy on this card due to the AF although the bonus is fairly big as well so who knows..  Even if people want it with great scores, doesn't mean Cap1 wants said people still Smiley Happy.. Be interesting to watch.  No for me, but others certainly might be able to see value in it other then sign-up

Message 47 of 161
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Wonder if cap1 due to this AF is going to have as strict of UW being people with alot of credit as they have no issues turning down people with 800+ scores as many DP's on various sites or be a bit more easy on this card due to the AF although the bonus is fairly big as well so who knows..  Even if people want it with great scores, doesn't mean Cap1 wants said people still Smiley Happy.. Be interesting to watch.  No for me, but others certainly might be able to see value in it other then sign-up

I feel like the underwriting will be different. But maybe I'm just optimistic. 

also does anyone know if there's primary rental on this card?

[2/2019]
Message 48 of 161
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@sjt wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Agree!

If they want to make this card a success they did need to re-evaluate their credit approval process. So many folks with prime credit get denied or avoid applying for a Cap1 card because of the triple pull.

Actually, the majority of people don't know, nor care, about the triple pull. Only people on credit centric forums care as they like to get quadruple the amount of credit a normal person does.

Message 49 of 161
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I want this now..... but I just got the Savor One on 08/23.... I believe cap1 has a 6 month rule.... right?.

Message 50 of 161
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.