Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Visa Rewards card with chip

tag
Gollum
Established Contributor

Capital One Visa Rewards card with chip

My new Capital One card (with a chip) that replaced my old Capital One VISA Platinum No Hassle Rewards card has a chip, and the new card says Capital One Rewards.  It is a VISA card.  It's dark metallic blue with a dark red swoosh in the CapitalOne logo.  The card has a little bit of a matte finish that I think feels nice, and I kinda like the way it looks.  I couldn't identify the card after some googling, so I called Capital One.  The guy I talked to had to put me on hold multiple times to check for information after I asked if I got a product change from my old card, and the final information from him was that my new card is the same thing that my old card was: VISA Platinum No Hassle Rewards prime revolver, and not a VISA Signature card.  My credit limit is the same ($10,500), and the card number is the same.

I said no to a Capital One product change to a VISA Signature card a number of years ago.  My American Express card with a chip and my Simmons First card with a chip don't have the names of the cards on them either.

If you have a Capital One VISA rewards card with a chip, does it look like my new card?  If so, is it a VISA Platinum No Hassle Rewards card, or something else?

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Visa Rewards card with chip

@Gollum wrote:

My new Capital One card (with a chip) that replaced my old Capital One VISA Platinum No Hassle Rewards card has a chip, and the new card says Capital One Rewards.  It is a VISA card.  It's dark metallic blue with a dark red swoosh in the CapitalOne logo.  The card has a little bit of a matte finish that I think feels nice, and I kinda like the way it looks.  I couldn't identify the card after some googling, so I called Capital One.  The guy I talked to had to put me on hold multiple times to check for information after I asked if I got a product change from my old card, and the final information from him was that my new card is the same thing that my old card was: VISA Platinum No Hassle Rewards prime revolver, and not a VISA Signature card.  My credit limit is the same ($10,500), and the card number is the same.

I said no to a Capital One product change to a VISA Signature card a number of years ago.  My American Express card with a chip and my Simmons First card with a chip don't have the names of the cards on them either.

If you have a Capital One VISA rewards card with a chip, does it look like my new card?  If so, is it a VISA Platinum No Hassle Rewards card, or something else?

You're probably not going to find many people on here with your same account type.

If your card is the "old" 2% rewards card I have seen a few of those on here from time to time.  Since they haven't been available to new applications for a while the only way to have one is to have opened it in the past, and to have never PC'd it to something else along the way.

As long as your getting the rewards you should be earning I wouldn't be too concerned with (or call them too much about) the design of the card; if you're currently getting 2% cash the last thing you want is to 'accidentially' PC to a 1.5% cash or a 2% "miles" card.

If by some chance your only getting 1.5% (or less) then a PC either wouldn't matter or would help... it will depend on your current rewards scheme.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Agree with UncB on this. As long as the reward structure is set the way you expected it to be, it shouldn't be much of a concern.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gollum wrote:

I guess I don't understand what you're saying here, or your need to point out the fact that your cards have chips in them, which everyone already knew.

I guess I don't understand why you refused a Visa Signature card too, as many have NPSL and other perks for free. 

I don't even think there's such thing as a Capital One Visa Platinum rewards card anymore---I believe they were replaced by the Quicksilver and Quicksilver One. 

Message 4 of 12
Gollum
Established Contributor

UncleB and RM21, thanks for the replies.  I know I'm swimming against the current here because I don't care much about rewards.  After quite a bit of googling, I couldn't find a card that looked like my new card, so I was/am curious about this card.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 5 of 12
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

I guess I don't understand what you're saying here, or your need to point out the fact that your cards have chips in them, which everyone already knew.

I guess I don't understand why you refused a Visa Signature card too, as many have NPSL and other perks for free. 

I don't even think there's such thing as a Capital One Visa Platinum rewards card anymore---I believe they were replaced by the Quicksilver and Quicksilver One. 

mountaindewvoltage,

Here's what I was saying:

"Does anyone else here have a credit card that looks like mine?"

Regarding my "need to point out the fact that your cards have chips in them, which everyone already knew."

I noticed that my new cards with chips do not show/print/whatever the full name of the old cards on the new cards.  My sample is small (two), but the correlation is 100%.  Smiley Happy It seemed to me that it was worth mentioning.  As far as "everyone already knew," I'm flattered.  Smiley Very Happy

Regarding "I guess I don't understand why you refused a Visa Signature card"

I don't want a NPSL (No Preset Spending Limit) credit card.  A VISA Signature credit card is a NPSL credit card.

Google for

NPSL credit card

Regarding "I don't even think there's such thing as a Capital One Visa Platinum rewards card anymore"

I still have one.

Regarding "I believe they were replaced by the Quicksilver"

I think you are correct.  I called Capital One to ask which rewards program my new card has.  It's the same as my old card (one mile per $100).  I asked if there's a cash rewards product I could be switched to, and after being placed on hold multiple times, I finally ended up on a three-way call with two different Capital One representatives, with neither representative having the foggiest idea of what a VISA Signature card is.  The more senior of the two representatives told me that my only option for a product change is a Quicksilver card, and "the only difference is it will say Quicksilver on it."

The Quicksilver CC is a VISA Signature CC, and I don't want a VISA Signature CC, so I made sure that each representative heard that from me before they took turns hanging up.  They're just trying to do their jobs, so I wanted to be polite to them, but at the same time, I wanted each of them to understand that I definitely did *not* want a product change to a VISA Signature card.

Message 6 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Some people like simplicity and aren't interested in credit card rewards - and I certainly appreciate that.  Since in the past some folks were hesitant to get a NPSL because of the utilization hit I'll point out that Capital One NSPL cards such as their Visa Signature now report with a credit limit. 

For the younger folks on here, when Visa Signature and MasterCard World cards first came out as NPSL offerings, they reported similar to how Amex charge cards report, that is with no credit line. 

Up until a few years back this could cause problems for people with their utilization; the amount reported by Amex was always the highest monthly balance you had ever had, and NPSL Visa and MasterCard accounts reported similarly.  During this time it was usual to recommend for someone with a new American Express charge card to allow a large amount to report at least once to 'set the bar', since that amount would then be used as the 'credit limit' for utilization calculations.  This caused many people back then to seek out 'traditional' credit cards instead of Signature/World cards.

The various formulas now treat Amex charge cards differently for utilization purposes (generally, it igores them) and NPSL Visa and MasterCards such as Signature and World now (usually) report with a credit limit, so this is no longer a problem.  Note that I can verify specifically that Capital One reports a credit line for their Visa Signature products.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the younger folks on here, when Visa Signature and MasterCard World cards first came out as NPSL offerings, they reported similar to how Amex charge cards report, that is with no credit line. 

There are still NPSL cards out there, my Chase Amazon Visa is one of them.

Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Interesting tidbits UncleB Smiley Happy learned some nice credit history today. Thats why i love this forum always learning something out of the blueSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are still NPSL cards out there, my Chase Amazon Visa is one of them.

There are many NPSL cards around - my Capital One QS Visa is one as well. 

It's if/how a credit limit reports to the credit bureaus that's significant - that's what my post was regarding.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.